Sunday, November 15, 2020

Rasmalai


The previous Thursday I bought a lot of food from Passage Thru India restaurant in Damansara via grab delivery. One of the food items is a popular dessert named Rasmalai. MYR 9.90 for one portion of 3.

Rasmalai is made from milk. For more information, please refer to this recipe on how to make a delicious rasmalai. Recipe link in full text below:
https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/rasmalai-recipe-easy-rasmalai-in-10-mins-diwali-recipes/

I haven't eaten it before so I am curious to try it. There are 3 flattened balls made of curdled milk inside the thickened liquid milk. The yellow colour is supposed to be from saffron.

Sweet and milky. I ate one on Thursday and kept the remaining two in the fridge. If you like condensed milk, you will like this dessert.

*** Saturday 14 November 2020 d242 ***

0743 breakfast to clear the remaining zhar yuk muk Yee rice bought on Monday which is 5 days ago. Added choy sum aka sawi.

0820 my portion of breakfast.

1138 whenever we passed by friendship cafe on a Saturday, I must buy this dai gao mein from the nearby food truck. MYR 1.50 nett. Ate it in the car on the way home cos I am not the one driving.

1154 not my lunch of roast chicken and siew yoke rice from friendship cafe. Can't remember how much it costs. Should be around MYR 7 to 8. Also bought 3 siew baos at MYR 5 nett and one slice of steamed brown sugar cake at MYR 1.50 nett.

1312 my lunch. I had to clear this remaining portion of chicken briyani rice bought from Passage Thru India restaurant on Thursday, 2 days ago.

1318. I ate it directly from the fridge because I can't be bothered to heat it up since I am ok to eat it at room temperature after it has been out from the fridge for 30 mins. Flavourful, a tiny bit spicy only so I am ok. No MSG since I was not thirsty after that. Can you see the two pieces of chicken in the photo? This packet of briyani rice has about 5 to 6 pieces of chicken in it and the whole packet weighed about 600g so we ate it for three meals including this one before finishing it.

1509 the remaining two milk curdle, Rasmalai. 

1511 ate both of them and put the remaining thickened milk saffron liquid back into the fridge to be used as bread spread for the next few days. Took a nap after this lunch and dessert.

1817 dinner for two pax. 3jc from friendship cafe MYR 7 nett.

1837 ate the chicken pie MYR 2.80 Nett bought from the stall outside Sepetang coffee shop in taman Desa on Sunday, 6 days ago.

1837 - blurred photo of the fillings - small cubes of chicken meat and carrots. I prefer beef fillings. Can't put my finger on the taste. Let me buy one for my friend tomorrow and she will be able to describe the taste of this filling and I will update this section.

After that I ate the one and only remaining piece of fried items I bought on Sunday, 6 days ago which is a piece of deep fried tapioca. I feel good to be able to clear 3 food items from my fridge on this day. No more eating after 1900.

Updates on Sunday 15 Nov 2020 1820:
My friend description of the chicken pie taste:
"got oyster sauce, usual 5 spice powder, pepper,  bit bit curry on the miniest chic nanocubes, soy sauce  potatoes,  carrot,  onion.
Very thin pastry with shortening that leaves an oil waxy taste in mouth.
 First impression is siewbao with a much, much, much, lighter taste,  not that saucy.  Overall ok, can mask as healthier siew bao."

14 comments:

  1. I've had rice with milk for an Indian dessert once, very nice. I sure would love to try these...and we love bryani too! That pie sure is cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice to eat the taste of the spices. The pie is only a bit bigger than a siew bao so the price is ok.

      Delete
  2. Yes for briyani...but no for rasmalai coz i dislike condensed milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so you don't like condensed milk. Briyani rice u like those near your office, right?

      Delete
    2. I like briyani rice from any shop. So far I tasted briyani that are OK and never too bad, so I guess it will never go wrong with briyani.

      Delete
    3. Wah, you have eaten that many. I also dunno how many I have eaten. Not that many I think cos I only prefer mutton briyani over chicken briyani. I wonder does anyone need to use MSG for briyani since they can use all the authentic spices.

      Delete
  3. I love Indian food but I cannot stomach their desserts because most of them are very sweet and are made with milk/condensed milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, very sweet so I eat them slowly over many days.

      Delete
  4. You always amazed me with lots of new food. Now it's Rasmalai. I love condensed milk. Must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you're quite into Indian food.

    The chicken pie looks so nicely made, perfectly round and puffed up like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to eat all types of cuisine. Yes, very round chicken pie.

      Delete
  6. I will like this rasmalai dessert since i like condensed milk.

    ReplyDelete