Monday, December 28, 2020

Yam Coconut Kuih

10 am - I went to buy duck breast meat at Jalan Hang Tuah 4 roadside stall and saw a new makeshift stall in between the duck stall and the nian gao stall selling Kuih. As before, I couldn't resist buying the Kuih to try. There are 4 types so I buy one each at MYR 1.70 each but the sellers ask me to buy 6 at MYR 10 nett so I say ok and added one white and one dark green made from ramie leaves.

This is the chu yap Kuih with the skin made from ramie leaves and it has choy poh fillings. Savoury sweet taste. For the past two purchases of chu yap Kuih from different shops, the sellers told me the Kuih has fillings but both times, there were no fillings at all. It is either the sellers didn't know or they intentionally misinformed me. This time, this seller told the truth and there is choy poh fillings. Tasty Kuih.

White Kuih. I bought two of them.

Crunchy jicama and dried har mi fillings. Can taste strong pepper in the fillings. He likes the strong pepper taste.

Mung beans fillings. Almost similar to angku but with thicker skin and has strong shallot oil taste in the mung bean fillings. He says this mung bean Kuih is considered a savoury Kuih.

I like this purple Kuih the best because the skin tastes of yam and there are lots of coconut shreds (ye zhar) in it. I thought the coconut shreds would be brown after frying the coconut shreds in brown sugar but it was not and I think it tastes good without the brown sugar. 

Unfortunately as coconut shreds or any food with santan turn bad very quickly in our hot weather, when I ate this at 11.14 am, I could detect that it has turned bad slightly but only very very slightly so I ate the whole Kuih and I am ok.

11.48 am - as this is a Sunday 27 Dec 2020 d285, we went to Taman Desa De Market supermarket to buy groceries and also our Sunday nasi Lemak with small portion of rice, one pack each at a total of MYR 14 nett.

12.24 noon - used up the remaining mien si (taochu paste) pork ribs bought from Lucky Alley on the previous Sunday 20 Dec 2020 to stir fry instant noodles with added choy sum, coriander and a small red capsicum. I ate a tiny bit only just to taste it as I am very full from eating the Kuih and Nasi Lemak.

 
7 pm - dinner was shared rice with sour spicy mustard greens with added duck meat and duck gizzard.

One portion of rice divided for two pax.

8.22 pm - my portion. I wanted to clear this sour spicy mustard greens dish bought on Friday so I had to eat it this late. Ate slowly and completed the task at about 9.30 pm. 

Updated on Monday at 1pm - yesterday at 12.30 midnight, I find it difficult to breathe because I believe my dinner was too big a portion compared to my usual dinner at 5 pm and I ate too late from 8.30 pm to 9.30 pm. No next time.

18 comments:

  1. Make me craving for some kuih as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your wife can make them also cos she is skillful in cooking and baking.

      Delete
  2. Yummy colorful kuih!!!😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder is it natural colour for the yellow and purple. The ramie leaf is natural colours of course.

      Delete
  3. I would love to try all the kuihs, don't think we have them here except the white kuih which is similar to our chai kuih...except that it isn't really shaped like one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And also the mung bean one is similar to angku. The white one has the same filings as chai Kuih but the skin is solid white, not translucent and it is very thick, not thin but can be considered the same type I guess.

      Delete
  4. I really salute you for being adventurous to try every type of kuih on sale. I have seen many types yet I would not try but only choose those I am familiar with. I definitely want to try this White Kuih after you have explained. Thanks for sharing.

    My good friend who lives at one condo near Faber Towers would rather shop his groceries at Mid Valley because he says De Market is expensive! I told him he is exposing himself to the dangers of the very crowded Mid Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the white Kuih is like chai kueh. Don't you want to try the purple or the chu yap Kuih?
      Your good friend is very right, the prices at de market is more expensive than aeon big and aeon supermarkets. True, the cases are so high now that I don't dare to even step into Midvalley mall.

      Delete
  5. Colourful kuehs. I also cannot resist to try kueh. Too pepoery, I dont fancy though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I see these kuih, I will also buy one each to try. I would love the yam kuih.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can make all these kuihs because you are skillful in cooking and baking.

      Delete
  7. I will like the purple yam kuih too because I like yam flavour and coconut fillings. Read in the news that KL is most affected in terms of cases. Stay safe Mun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, KL cases are high. Thank you. You stay safe too!

      Delete
  8. If it's only slightly bad, your stomach can still take it. I just bought a similar assortment of kuih but not that coconut one. My lot had one type with filling like pulut panggang and skin in between angku and chai kueh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Means the fillings are a bit spicy coconut shreds if it is like pulut panggang. Skin thicker than angku I guess.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for confirming. 🙂

      Delete