Friday, December 25, 2020

Brussel Sprouts

 Ever since 2003, I have been looking for Christmas meals with turkey and brussel sprouts to relive my memories of uk. I can't remember when I started eating brussel sprouts. I don't think I have eaten brussel sprouts before I went to uk.

In uk, turkey and brussel sprouts are in a way an important part of Christmas dinner or so it seems. In doing an online search on why do we eat turkeys and brussel sprouts during Christmas, many articles such as the one below appear:

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/food-and-drink/brussels-sprouts-became-vital-part-christmas-dinner-107831

In 2014, I found an affordable christmas set lunch with turkey and brussel sprouts for MYR 25 nett. Then after that, no more because my family doesn't want me to buy a whole roasted turkey as they prefer eating chicken than turkey. I did buy one whole roast turkey set meal from a hotel around the year 1998 and it took many days for everyone to eat everything.

This year, I ordered a single meal of turkey and one pecan pie.

I put most of the turkey meat on top of a slice of bread into another container to eat on another day. Then I ate the remaining turkey meat, chestnut sage stuffings, petals of brussel sprouts, sweet potato with the cranberry and the brown sauce.

The slice of pecan pie with crunchy pecans in caramel butterscotch chocolate fillings. He says too buttery he can't eat it so I kept it in the fridge to eat a bit a day since it is quite sweet.

Bought using beepit from Alexis Bistro on Wednesday 23 December 2020.

Delivered in a nice paper bag.

Don't look at the price.


These are the options.

I found this 2015 menu online. The turkey main dish this year is the same as the one in 2015. I think with this year's meal, I will end my search for this meal forever for I will store this year's meal in my memory forever.

*** Thursday 24 December 2020 d282 ***

11.40 am - ate one piece of turkey with bread.

1 pm - grabbed hokkien Mee from Damansara uptown at kuchai lama. Added all remaining siew yuk from de market supermarket to it. Kept half for dinner.

1.10 pm - cantonese ying Yong 1 pax portion shared by 2 pax.

7.30 pm - the remaining hokkien Mee with 2 drumlets from Domino delivery on the same day.

*** Christmas meals 2020 ***

Dave's Bistro at one utama menu 2020.

No turkey and the portion is too big.

Ben's General Food Store - whole roast turkey set MYR 328. Too big portion.

Whole roast chicken set is affordable.

Single pax meal - half a roast chicken.

Morganfields whole roast stuffed turkey set at about MYR 430.

Was considering this set at about MYR 90 but he says he prefers siew yuk instead of porchetta. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Jaya Grocer roast turkey with chestnut stuffings.

Only at MYR 288.

*** Have a blessed Christmas ⛄๐ŸŽ„! ***




20 comments:

  1. Yes, here too! The hotels are selling roast turkeys for over RM300. Too big for just the 4 of us, so we are going without it. The ladies are not fond of it, anyway - just me...and more in keeping with the tradition of Christmas/Thanksgiving turkeys.

    I sure would want to order if they sell smaller servings of turkey here like what you had. Not crazy about Brussel sprouts, me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so your wife and daughter also prefer chicken over turkey.

      Delete
  2. Had roasted turkey in a cousin's house today. I am so fond of Brussel sprouts.

    Ordered a turkey once few years ago, hardly can finished it with 7 adults taking it. Haha. So no more turkey at home. Chicken tasted better, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that u like brussel sprouts because they contain lots of vitamins.

      Delete
  3. I always order a whole Turkey for my office department's lunch but not this year.

    Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cos mostly work from home so no turkey celebration meal.

      Delete
  4. I ordered a whole turkey a few years ago and the 4 of us took 2 to 3 meals to finish the whole turkey. This time we prefer chicken in place of turkey. Most of us prefer chicken because less meaty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Turkey are too big so need to eat many days.

      Delete
  5. Both my parents prefer chicken more. Usually during Christmas we had turkeys in relatives/friend's place. Only can eat 1 or 2 slices coz there are other tasty dishes๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, another vote for chicken. Have party of many people then only can order turkey.

      Delete
  6. The pecan pie looks good though. I prefer chicken to Turkey every time. :D

    Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Happy New Year to you too! Pecan pie is tasty.

      Delete
  7. I happen to love brussel sprouts! I think they and wonderful and delicious but so pricey over here. Every time I see them at Jaya Grocer, I would buy. I have been wanting to taste a pecan pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, because they have lots of vitamins. I think you like grill or roast brussel sprouts best! Can go alexis taste this pecan pie with your brother.

      Delete
  8. LOL at your family rejecting turkey after only once! At least you tried haha.

    I also tried turkey and brussels sprouts in UK and would go for them only to rekindle memories. They don't actually taste that good to my Asian tastebuds.

    Oh I was quite excited at that pecan pie. It used to be my must-have at Genting's Bubbles n Bytes before it closed down. Since then I have seen it just once at a cafe near First World. I must check out if the one at Alexis tastes like the one I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are turkey more than once. I like the taste of brussel sprouts. You have asian tastebuds indeed, like my spouse. Do try the pecan pie at alexis and do write about the taste in your blog. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. The pecan pie looks tempting! I think I still prefer chicken over turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people do too. Pecan pie I think you will like cos it is sweet and the nuts are crunchy.

      Delete
  10. I always thought that brussel sprouts are miniature cabbages that did not exist when I was a child. I also could not remember where I started eating them as I didn't see them in US.

    Whoa! I love that pecan pie! Sweet and buttery is most welcome.

    I went to Suchan few times to collect cakes and heard stories about the fallout with Alexis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brussel sprouts is more of a uk and europe Christmas dinner tradition than usa. U want to buy the pecan pie to try? It is still in my fridge now, since 23rd which is 5 days ago.
      U mean suchan used to supply cakes to Alexis? Since fallout, I wonder who supplies cakes to Alexis now.

      Delete