Thursday, December 24, 2020

Siew yuk choy sum

 He cooked lunch on Wednesday 23 December 2020 d281.

11.30 am - Siew yuk bought on Sunday from de market supermarket at MYR 12.10 nett weighing 202g. Price is MYR 60 nett for 1 kg. he Stirfried the siew yuk with choy sum. Used the Vegetarian sauce below and he said that the Vegetarian sauce has gula melaka taste which he didn't like. The taste doesn't match he said. When on its own, he is fine with eating gula melaka.

I ate the siew yuk and choy sum above and drank the gravy to try to taste this gula melaka taste but my tongue is just not sensitive enough to detect it so I don't understand what gula melaka taste he is talking about.

Vegetarian oyster sauce from my friend. Guess he wouldn't be using it to cook anymore because he doesn't like the gula melaka taste that it has.

Not my lunch with pork ribs dried oyster soup from Sunday, rice from Lucky Alley and siew yuk choy sum.

1.30 pm - my lunch of siew yuk choy sum with sprouted multigrain rainbow bread.

11 am - my breakfast of nestum chocolate cereal with a slice of sprouted multigrain rainbow bread.


18 comments:

  1. We normally use maggi oyster sauce...seldom on vegetarian sauce. The dish looks good. I dislike gula melaka taste even on cendol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't prefer using sauce at all. There are way too many types of gula melaka. I like those that taste like gula along and not those very sweet ones.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps not enough gula melaka is added? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does not like the gula melaka taste in the Vegetarian oyster sauce because the original oyster sauce doesn't have this taste in it.

      Delete
  3. Yes, sometimes some sauces are not so compatible...even for fried rice. Dunno what combination my missus uses - she likes to add a bit of this and that and hers always tastes so good. Mine, not so...depending on what sauces and a lot of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ok with the taste with siew yuk because I can't taste the gula melaka taste. It is not that gula melaka not compatible with siew yuk. I believe he thinks the taste of gula melaka shouldn't be inside oyster sauce.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know that De Market sells roasted Siew Yuk! I guess my eyes didn't pay much attention at the Non-Halal section. I would definitely shop there when I meet friends at Faber Towers.

    That vegetarian oyster sauce is weird to have such strong gula melaka taste. Maybe need to change brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have lots of items in that section. I cannot taste the gula melaka so it could be the same for many people.

      Delete
  5. Before MCO, I used to buy roasted pork from nearby Pasar Tani but it has not been operating since then. Unfinished meat, I kept in freezer and used up in stir fried vegetables or fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seldom put in freezer because we aim to finish the meat in max 5 days.

      Delete
  6. Gula Melaka taste? I guess he meant that it is sweet. I use this sauce and I find it sweet but no gula Melaka taste. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also cannot taste the gula melaka taste, lolx!

      Delete
  7. I use this brand but not the vegetarian sauce. We usually buy roast pork for lunch and only use to fry vegetable if there is left over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This roast pork has been in the fridge for some days so that's why use them to stir fry.

      Delete
  8. Roast pork choy sum on bread?! I would rather boil rice from scratch haha.

    It's probably not gula melaka in the oyster sauce since gula melaka is actually rather expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White plain rice has a lot of sugar when digested so I rather not eat so much of them. The bread tastes great with roast pork and choy sum.

      Delete
  9. I always thought gula melaka only exists in dessert and cakes. I am eyeing the roast pork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno whether or not got gula melaka in it cos I couldn't taste it.

      Delete