Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Stir Fried Betel Nut Flowers

Wed 7 Nov 2018 Day 2 in Taipei and at 11.30 am, for lunch (meal 2), we went to this quaint restaurant.

It is a vegetarian restaurant.

Oh, A Michelin Star Vegetarian Restaurant to be exact. How many stars? I don't know even after reading the Michelin Guide online here for this restaurant which is named Serenity. For vegetarians who are interested to eat here, the address is:

Serenity
1, Lane 1, Zhenjiang Street, Zhongzheng, Taipei, 110, Taiwan

My family did the ordering and these are the vegetables dishes. One dish that we cannot find here in KL is the Stir fried betel nut flowers dish - the dish in the middle row on the most left - bunga pokok pinang. I guess in Penang, there should be a lot of pokok pinang with flowers but do people eat them locally here? It taste nice. You can read all about this Stir Fried Betel Nut Flowers dish in this article.

This dish is a must-order. Their famous stinky tofu dish. Very flavourful and tasty - I like!

Cross section of the stinky tofu.

I think this is some sort of mochi desserts.

12.47 noon - we walked past this dumpling (jiao zi) eatery. Wanted to eat there but the queue overflowed onto the street so not queuing so bye bye and we walked on. This eatery, Takumi Dumplings (巧之味手工水餃), sells many types of dumplings. You can read all about it here in this article. I guess I miss this one forever.

For you all who love to eat sui jiao or jiao zi, here is the address but be prepared to queue:
Takumi Dumplings
No. 6, Section 2, Jinan Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, 100

1 pm - we walked past this bakery 滿福堂餅行(Man Fu Tang) which I went in to buy some pastries.
Address: No. 3, Section 2, Zhongxiao East Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, Taiwan 100

In the morning at 9.40 am, we just ate breakfast in the room. Soy drink.

Bread

Red Bean Glutinous Rice Chang - not sure bought from where in Taipei.

After breakfast, we walked to Serenity Restaurant for lunch via the underground Zhongshan Metro Mall located between the MRT Taipei Main Station and Shuang Lian Station (we stayed near Shuang Lian Station which is our stop) and walked past this Jazz Square with big mirrors to encourage students and citizens to use the Jazz Squares for dance practice. Can you see people dancing in the above photo? I love to walk through this section. You can read more about this underground mall in this article.

*** Monday 29 June 2020 d104 ***

My breakfast at 10.30 am of egg, cucumber and bread.



16 comments:

  1. Eh today only eat breakfast? Where is lunch & dinner? So u were travelling with family....If with the elderly then not mch chance to eat street snack sold in nite market. Like my parent must eat proper meal and no late nite snack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After your parents have eaten proper meals, you can go out again to have late nite snacks. Lunch is suigao and dinner is bread and jam.

      Delete
  2. This truly took me by surprise. Michelin star vegetarian restaurant? Must be serving really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would want to try that betel nut flowers, never seen nor tried before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Telling you the truth, I never tasted stinky tofu. Wonder I can accept it if I really have chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like strong smelling good like blue cheese and Durian, very likely you can accept the taste of stinky tofu.

      Delete
  5. My vegetarian sis-in-law would be interested in this restaurant. I didn't know that betul nut flowers can be eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can be eaten but not too much according to the article that I linked to here.

      Delete
  6. The word betel nuts in Taiwan always tickled my ribs. I had seen so many truck drivers ogling at the sexy clad Pinang Girls by the highways stretching from Keeliung to Kaohsiung in cold Winter!

    Now this is new that they eat the flowers there. It would be a norm to eat any flowers with Sambal belacan in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, I see you are well versed with pinang in Taiwan. I also wonder why no one eats the pinang flowers here.

      Delete
  7. When i went hk in 2002, there was a stall selling stinky tofu, my buddy tried but i did not try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell must have put you off. I am sure in sg, there are places that sell stinky tofu.

      Delete
  8. Heh still won't find me at a vegetarian restaurant, Michelin star or not.

    Maybe you could try to source pinang flowers for consumption back here since you know what they look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannot eat too much cos will get intoxicated, it seems the other article I linked to says.

      Delete