Saturday, June 27, 2020

Roasted Chestnuts

12 noon - Fried rice for the whole day on Friday 26 June 2020 d101 but I don't think anyone is counting the days anymore. Ingredients in this fried rice: Eggs, Roast chicken meat bought from Aeon on Thursday 25 June 2020 d100, 2 Dong Guan Waxed Sausages (bought on Friday 22 May 2020 d66), rice and frozen mixed vegetables bought from Giant supermarket.

This is the Kawan Frozen Mixed Vegetable 500g bought from Giant Supermarket because it is the only brand of Frozen Mixed Vegetable available in that supermarket.

I got a request to buy ready-to-eat chestnuts. I could have bought those ready-to-eat peeled chestnuts from supermarkets (which I did not see any but I did not go search in detail) but then I thought to buy from this kiosk in Aeon food court. Now while writing this, I found out that I have bought from them before back in 2014

The chestnuts are cooked in coffee beans I believe. I also bought two roasted sweet potatoes. Total price for chestnuts and roasted potatoes is about MYR 34 ish. Have to pay first and then only return with the receipt to collect the food.

Bought 280 g for MYR 18.50 nett. Back in 2014, 300 g costs MYR 14 nett only.

The chestnuts are quite small compared to those I bought and ate in Kyoto, Japan back in 2009. I did not count how many chestnuts there are for 280 g.

I peeled them for about 1 hour and got 25 nicely peeled whole ones. I think there are about 6 to 8 ones which I ate while peeling because I broke the chestnuts so might as well eat them.

The chestnuts are put in a paper bag.

They took the trouble to provide information about the chestnuts on their paper bag. These chestnuts are imported from Tien Jin, it seems.

This is the whole roast chicken I bought from Aeon food court which some of the meat were used in the fried rice.


They call it Ayam Golek fresh from oven, only MYR 11.70 nett per chicken by weight. More affordable than the fried chicken from the Colonel.

Bought Bee Cheng Hiang 4 slices of BBQ Minced Pork at MYR 150 per kg so for 4 slices it costs MYR 34.50 nett which works out to be MYR 8.625 nett per slice. If I am diligent, I must learn how to make this Bak Kwa from Nancy. She provided the recipe here in her article.

Bought this Safegg Pasteurized Eggs at MYR 14.50 nett.

Ate the banana cake bought from Aeon Food Court on Thursday and found it to be sweet and a bit on the dry side which is what we expected so confirmed that TK banana cake is better at MYR 7.80 nett compared to this banana cake at MYR 7 nett.

10.19 am - my breakfast of Milo cereal with Sprouted grains rainbow bread.

1.57 pm - my lunch of fried rice.

18 comments:

  1. My son is still counting the days. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me wanna eat these roasted chestnuts too. I used to work part-time selling these. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so this brought back memories for you. Roasted Chestnuts are healthy too.

      Delete
  3. I love these roasted chestnuts, cannot resist them, will eat one aft another. I once bought one pack of ready made ones and i keep eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ready peeled ones are more convenient and fingers no need pain.

      Delete
  4. So the more chestnut you peel, the lesser you get lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kawan? Any good? I stopped buying the frozen mixed vegetables here (most probably from China) because the peas are very hard, will not become soft no matter how long I cook.

    I love roasted chestnuts too! That ayam golek looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kawan I think is local but I have not check the packaging yet. Usually we buy wattie's brand. This kawan brand is ok. The corn, carrot and peas all are soft but still firm, not squishy. Chestnuts are sweet and ayam tastes good.

      Delete
  6. I prefer long beans in fried rice (like yangchow style) than mixed veggie coz of the same reason as suituapui. The ayam golek is cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are the one frying the rice I think using frozen mixed vege is more convenient than cutting the long beans yourself.

      Delete
  7. Lately noticed Kawan actually has a wide range of frozen food. After people shared during MCO that their frozen dhal and also curry are good in addition to their frozen roti canai. I've not seen those in my local supermarts though.

    Very nice-looking fried rice there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this kawan must be a new local brand. They are available in Giant. Thanks, will let my spouse know. Hehehehe, he fried the rice.

      Delete
    2. I have seen Kawan frozen roti for many years now. Just never noticed they have other things as well.

      Delete
    3. Oh, so they have been around for many years already.

      Delete
  8. Fresh roasted chestnuts are so delicious but expensive here. So a trader taught me to buy those imported from China and packed locally. Cheap but wet. Haha

    ReplyDelete