Monday, June 29, 2020

Eat eat eat eat

Recognise this place?

Where are we going at 2.30 pm?

10.20 pm - so unlike me to eat so late but the objective of this trip is to eat as much as I can in the little time here. A bowl of sour spicy soup. The ingredients are tofu, bamboo shoots, carrots, cloud ear fungus, meat slices, egg drops.

Ordered two items only, price 63.

Ba Fang eatery, a chain store.

6 dumplings

Seldom can get here - kimchi pork dumplings. So appetising, so yummy!

11.30 pm - still eating - my favourite ice cream here.

My favourite ice cream 紅豆粉粿 (Hóngdòu fěn guǒ). 紅豆is red bean. 粉粿is flour cakes which are chewy (QQ) cubes embedded in the ice cream.  粉粿 is made mainly from tapioca flour. 

There are two main brands selling this type of ice cream: 義美 (I Mei)  and 小美 (Xiao Mei). Both are nice but I Mei has more milk in its ice cream.

This one that I am eating is Xiao Mei.

This is I-mei. Photo sourced from internet.
Short trip to Taipei on Tue 6 Nov 2018. I don't think I will ever go to Taipei again. So am feeling nostalgic looking at the photos so decided to put them here to remember my farewell trip to Taipei.

*** Sunday 28 June 2020 d103 ***

Dine in 4 - Around 10.30 am, we were in the vicinity so we dropped by Homemade Fish Ball House, Sri Petaling and saw there were no customers dining in so we ordered two small portions of Kai si hor fun at MYR 7.50 nett and steamed chicken hor fun at MYR 8.50 nett. Then from another shop we takeaway Bak Kut Teh for one pax MYR 14 nett and requested for MYR 2 nett rice. Also bought ytf 5 pieces x MYR 1.60 nett - 2 tofu, 2 bitter gourds and 1 brinjal from FM. From 7-11, we bought a loaf of gardenia wholemeal bread MYR 3.3 nett, gardenia red bean buns MYR 3.50 nett and 2 packs of mighty white banana Walnut muffins at MYR 1.60 nett each so the total is exactly MYR 10 nett. On Saturday, I wanted to buy a roll of Tao sar pneah but it was MYR 4.50 nett and the tub was quite light. The seller explained that it is priced higher than other mung bean biscuits because the brand is Ban Heang from Penang. I didn't buy because it was light and I didn't bring a 50 cents coin. Maybe next weekend I will buy to try.

22 comments:

  1. Why are u not goin to Taipei anymore? So mch delicious food over there...how short was ur trip back then? Ah i can see tht u ordered the same food frm the homemade fishball shop. I mst go try someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cos retired from all travelling d. Like stp says below. Back then the trip was 3 days. Yes, please go try the Ipoh hor fun.

      Delete
    2. Should stay longer so can enjoy all the food without rush.

      Delete
    3. I miss home so purposely only go for 3 days.

      Delete
  2. Red beans flour cakes ice cream sound interesting and yummy to me, wonder is it can only get in taipei. I would definitely enjoy the sour spicy soup with all the ingredients but cannot be too spicy. I went taipei once and like you i dont think i will ever travel to taipei again cos scare of earthquake, earthquake always happens there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can look for the ice cream in sg in Taiwan grocery shops cos I know Taiwan Grocery shops in USA got sell the ice cream. The soup is not too spicy, should be ok for you. You can try it in din Tai Fung sg for the soup. Ya I experienced the bathroom swaying one time when I was in Taipei due to very minor earthquake.

      Delete
  3. Why so cheap? TW$63 is only about RM$7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using latest rate tw63 is about rm10. The price of this dumplings chain store is very affordable.

      Delete
  4. Yeah~why you are not going to Taipei anymore? Perhaps you have many more countries to visit right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not travelling anymore. Retired from travelling already. See stp's comment below.

      Delete
  5. I think I would prefer the kai si hor fun you had at Sri Petaling. I'm not going anywhere anymore either. Better safe the money for rainy days. #staysafe #stayhome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retired from travelling. The kai so hor fun is nice but totally different type of food from sui gao.

      Delete
  6. Nice memories of your Taiwan trip. It will be a while before anyone travels. Let's wait till it is safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am not travelling anymore, retired d. People will start to travel once the borders open because the travelling temptation is strong!

      Delete
  7. Wah!! Foodie trip. If you miss the food, bet you can go again. Maybe not this year, wait till pandemic is over.

    I would to try the ice cream. I like red beans and I have stock of red bean ice cream potong in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I seldom fly just for the food. You should go to Taipei with your whole family after there is a vaccine as a family trip since you like to eat red bean ice creams.

      Delete
  8. Does the kai si hor fun tastes the same as Ipoh's kai si hor fun? I like dumplings but no thanks to kim chi dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it tastes the same, very smooth hor fun. You don't like Kim chi? Why not? Too sour?

      Delete
  9. We burnt our tickets to Taipei in June as Traveloka does not refund all their cheap bookings. We were supposed to attend our God daughter's convocation ceremony. My wife was so heartbroken with the cancellation. Next would be hotels booked for Ironman in Langkawi with no refunds as event has been cancelled. Most probably we will just stay there for 4 nights and do nothing. Lolol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so sad no refunds. Can go eat seafood in Langkawi and just relax relax.

      Delete
  10. The only place I can think for sour spicy soup and dumplings is Esquire Kichen.... haven't been there for ages already.

    Retired from travelling means only for work right? Can still travel on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also haven't gone to esquire kitchen for a very long time. No, not travelling anywhere for holidays also if need to fly.

      Delete