Thursday, May 7, 2020

Frozen is Better

Food eaten on Wednesday 6 May 2020 d50.

Photo Timestamp: 7.17 pm - This is a frozen cheddar bay biscuit from my freezer. Bought on Sunday 19 April 2020 d33 from Red Lobster Quill City Mall so it has been in my freezer for more than 2 weeks, 17 days to be exact. So how is it?

The verdict is: It tastes better than the ones I kept in the chilled section of my fridge which have dried out and the texture turned powdery whereas this frozen biscuit still tastes moist and doughy in the mouth. I ate it directly from the freezer without heating and without waiting for it to be at room temperature. So that means, store it immediately in the freezer if it is not to be eaten on the same day of purchase instead of storing it in the fridge.

6.09 pm - finally it is the turn of Braised Pork Belly (MYR 9.80 nett) bought from Mama Cooking Restaurant, Kuchai Lama on Tuesday 21 April 2020 d35 to be eaten. 15 days in the fridge and still tastes good.

Cooked this noodle bought on 1 May 2020 d45 Friday to go with the braised pork belly.

10 bricks of wheat flour noodles in one pack which costs MYR 6 nett.

6.17pm - Two bricks of noodles soak up the gravy of the braised pork belly very nicely and taste so good. The texture of the noodle is soft enough but not mushy.

7.02 pm - My portion which surprisingly was not enough for me so I had to eat one frozen cheddar bay biscuit to be satisfied.

9.11 am - The only cake in my fridge now. Bought on 25 April 2020 Saturday d39 so it has been in my fridge for 11 days.

9.13 am - The sides are no longer sticking to the aluminum foil.

9.16 am - so I cut it into 8 portions - one each for two pax a day so in 4 days this cake will be cleared.

9.30 am - one portion each. They are placed on a slice of wholemeal bread because I don't want the butter from the cake to cause a oil stain on the white bowl.

9.56 am - After both of us have eaten the 2 portions of cake, I placed a Texas chicken tender (9 of 12) on the same slice of gardenia wholemeal bread before eating them.

12.58 noon - steamed two bak chang bought on Monday 27 April 2020 d41 together with the TeoChew Png Kueh so there are no more bak chang in my fridge now. These two bak chang are tied with not-plastic strings so they would be approved.

1.01 pm - one each because it does not make sense to just steam one lone bak chang so steam two and eat one each. It lasts me till 4.30 pm where we ate one orange each so all oranges bought on Saturday 4 April 2020 (d18) from Supreme Fresh are now cleared. These two oranges are in my fridge for 32 days (a little more than one month) and they are still juicy with tender sacs so oranges keep very well in the fridge.

18 comments:

  1. I got bak chang from an ex-student yesterday. Yet to cook the dry noodles that I bought but mine's curly like instant noodles. I think I would prefer the ones like yours. Oh? I thought freezing is more for things one would want to keep for a long time, otherwise just keep in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya got dry curly noodles also but I didn't buy. Keeping in the fridge seems to dry out the biscuits but in the freezer they retain their moisture.

      Delete
  2. Now I know that braised pork belly can keep for 15 days in the fridge and banana cake for 11 days and still safe to eat. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Braised meat tastes good even after kept frozen for many days or even weeks. Now whatever I don't intend to eat soon, the food will immediately goes into the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep my snacks in the fridge if cannot finish eating after opening the packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! that is a lot of food in the frozen compartment. Now I have mostly meat inside besides ice cream, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am surprised that your Cheddar Bay Bisquit tasted better from the freezer. This evening I will be buying dinner tapao from Uptown and I will be hoarding the Honey Butter Bisquit from Texas Chicken! I will pop them into the freezer. Hahaha

    I always feel that the pork meat is the most delicious when we cook or roast into any dishes. I know it is safe to eat any dishes kept inside the cold fridge or the best place in freezer compartment. During my young days, my mum cooked many dishes and stored them into labeled containers in the freezer for me to heat up daily. She went away to Europe with my father for 2 months! The food was safe, tasty and perfect. Yums!

    My blog is spooky now. It says there are 56 comments but only 50 appeared. It gives me creeps and so mysterious! I have to apologize to you and others like Claire & Lina as I saw the comments in my email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that you confirmed frozen food can last in taste and is safe. Your late mother loved you so much to labeled all the food so that you know which one you want to take out to eat. Why so spooky your blog? Do those comments need your approval?

      Delete
  7. I don't think I can keep braised pork belly for so long. I would finish within a week. Haha. Sometime I do cook and freeze some food for later consumption. The most is a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much food in the fridge so need to slowly finish them.

      Delete
  8. Bakchangs I'd use the microwave. Yeah can't be bothered steaming a small portion.

    The noodles with the raised pork belly look nicely cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, can we microwave bakchang? Wouldn't the texture of the bakchang glutinous rice be rubbery? Yes, the noodles soak up the gravy and was tastier than expected.

      Delete
    2. I have this microwave steamer where water goes on the bottom part. Better than nothing. You could also try putting in a mug of water to microwave at the same time.

      Delete
    3. I have this microwave steamer where water goes on the bottom part. Better than nothing. You could also try putting in a mug of water to microwave at the same time.

      Delete