Friday, May 22, 2020

Michelle Soo Homemade Kaya

Homemade Kaya by Michelle Soo at MYR 15 nett per tub received on Monday 11 May 2020 d55.

The colour is golden rather than brown or green. It tastes eggy with the fragrance of coconut and my tastebuds must be playing tricks on me because I detect a slight taste of ginger. Unlike kaya that is very smooth in texture, this is not the case. It is not very sweet too so can spread more of it on a slice of bread.

As this kaya is without preservatives and even though I am keeping it in the fridge, I am taking no chances so I am eating a lot of kaya with two slices of bread at 10.30 am on Monday 18 May 2020 d62 as breakfast so that I can clear it faster.

I finished the above remaining kaya on Tuesday 19 May 2020 d63 for lunch at 1.54 pm with 3 slices of Massimo 100% whole wheat (gold packaging) so one more item cleared after lasting 8 days in the fridge.

Finally cleared all Texas Chicken Honey Butter Biscuits by eating 10 of 10 yesterday (Thursday 21 May 2020 d65) at 12.16 noon just before eating a nyonya pork chang for lunch at 1 pm.


18 comments:

  1. What else you have not cleared?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleared almost everything so time to buy new items to store in the fridge.

      Delete
  2. I like to eat my toast with kaya and butter. Toast box kaya is nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, toast box from sg is popular here too.

      Delete
  3. Ginger? No, thanks. It does not look smooth, like you said but kaya taken our of the fridge looks like that. I stumbled upon a really good one here, pandan, but I have not gone back for more. In fact, with the lockdown, I have not been back there since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ginger taste wasn't there anymore when I was eating the remaining bits.

      Delete
  4. eat more kaya to become kaya! haha....dream on. I like fresh kaya on toast...yumzzz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, your mind very keng. It never crossed my mind to eat kaya to be kaya. 😂😂😂

      Delete
  5. I feel like I can just scoop the kaya and eat it like a kueh. Must include a bottle to try when I next replenish my chang order heh..heh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you could because I did that too! Hahahaha! If you are ok with very eggy taste then you can order.

      Delete
  6. Can easily finish the kaya because it is thick. This is gold coloured kaya. I still have some kaya which I have to clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is absolutely correct. Easy to finish because it is thick. Your kaya is your diy kaya which is super yummy!

      Delete
  7. I have eaten the kaya in Melaka a few times and I could imagine their different texture and colour. They can get that quality results because they steamed in the standard double broiler which produces small quantity. Those cheaper kaya in the market would be using a big tong to cook them and no way they can get this texture & colour. My mum told me this!

    I just felt that it's a bit pricey for RM15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. Your late mother was a wise lady. It is ok to support local business to pay a bit more rather than go buy a Hermes key chain. Lolx!

      Delete
    2. Aha! Who bought that Hermes key chain?

      Delete
    3. Not me, that is for sure. One benang of Hermes I also cannot afford.

      Delete
  8. Possibly ginger was added to counter the eggy taste.

    ReplyDelete