Saturday, May 23, 2020

Trout or Salmon


Dinner on Friday 22 May 2020 d66 at 5.54 pm. Trout poached in the remaining lo song tong which we cleared after 2 days. One piece of trout each.

I like to eat poached fish like this. Very tasty to me.

2.5 kg of frozen trout pieces packed individually in 15 bags at MYR 80 per kg so it is RM 200 nett and qualified for foc delivery. Received at 5.30 pm on Friday 22 May 2020 d66 so we immediately poached two pieces to test the taste which is very nice. Will give 8 pieces to my mother. I am very lazy, I asked the seller, do I need to wash the fish before cooking it and the answer is not necessary but if I wish, I would just lightly rinse it and pat it dry but as I am lazy, I will just cook it directly after removing from the package without rinsing it. lolx!

In the local supermarkets, we often see the label salmon-trout. I googled for the word "salmon-trout" and found a few interesting articles so now I will ask sellers who advertise that they are selling salmon whether are they selling salmon or trout and I often get the answer that they are selling salmon-trout which basically means trout if you read all the articles below:

1.   "The difference between Norwegian trout and salmon" by The Star newspaper and by The Straits Times which says and I quote from it:

"In reality, there is no such thing as salmon-trout. Salmon is salmon and trout is trout. But this acute mislabelling has led to a lot of confusion among consumers.

“What we see so far is that there is a kind of a mix-up in the understanding of salmon and trout. Retailers, restaurants and consumers are not sure what the difference is between salmon and trout, so that’s why they call it salmon-trout. But it is basically two different types of fish that have a lot of similarities, but also have a lot of differences. So we want to educate the market to be able to distinguish between salmon and trout and to see that they are two different kinds of fish,” says Mr Steenslid". My Steenslid is the regional director of the Norwegian Seafood Council for South-East Asia.

2. "Rainbow trout can now be called salmon in China" by BBC News published in 14 August 2018. It says and I quote from it:

"New rules introduced in China mean rainbow trout can now be labelled and sold domestically as salmon.
Why? Because a media report earlier this year caused a splash by revealing that rainbow trout had for years been labelled as the similar-looking fish.
Authorities decided that instead of banning the practice, the best solution would be to legitimise it.
Rainbow trout are freshwater fish whereas salmon are born in freshwater but then live much of their lives in saltwater.
The two species are outwardly different, but inside, both have reddish meat and closely resemble each other."

3. "Trout vs. Salmon: All You Need to Know" - do read it if you want to know.

So I wanted to eat salmon but did not want to go to the supermarkets to buy them so I did the only thing possible - search for salmon deliveries on fb and had to vet through a few posts where some posts do not seem legitimate. My previous salmon meal was on Sunday 19 April 2020 d33 which is 33 days ago to be exact before this dinner.

On fb, I found good reviews about the salmon sold by this very nice lady. She sells many products for you to prepare your own DIY Japanese meal at home. If you are interested, just look her up on fb. For me, I am just interested in the Salmon. Just look at her poster below (I copied one of her poster, she has many posters on her fb with all her products). One whole salmon at MYR 65 per kg is so tempting but I won't know what to do with the head or bones so in the end, I went for the MYR 80 per kg Salmon Steak. I asked her, is this Salmon or Trout and her answer was Salmon-Trout so that means Trout to me. Oh well, I am fine with Trout so Trout it is and that was how I bought my 2.5 kg trout pieces. Contacted her on Wednesday and received the Trout pieces on Friday - just in 3 days - very efficient.

This photo is copied from this fb post without permission. Will remove if asked to.

I found another fb seller which sells whole salmon at MYR 86 per kg for a 4.5 kg salmon packaged as shown in the photo below. They sell unagi, cod fish, prawns, saba and many other products too. As before, I don't want the head and bones so it is a no-go even though when I asked - salmon or trout, the answer given was salmon but I would not know how to verify whether it is a salmon or trout because the fish has been cut up into pieces and packaged as shown below.

 Please click on the above photo for a larger version if you want to look closer at the fish head to see whether you can tell from its head whether the fish is a salmon or a trout. This photo is also copied from this fb seller without permission so will be removed if asked to.

This is where we reach the end of the story about Trout or Salmon. Moving on, there is good news for Libby. McD Sg has a new pie - Coconut Pie - I wonder whether Libby is interested to try this coconut pie or not. It is not available here.

Can you see the coconut pie in the poster above?

My friend's dinner in Sg - only costs SGD 5.90 nett.

My friend's lunch in Sg - only costs SGD 4.50 nett.

My lunch yesterday. Ordered from a fb seller which I ordered from a few times before, with free delivery if two meals are bought. Two of us shared these two meals at 11.20 am.

Curry chicken rice - MYR 9 nett.

Siew Yuk Wanton noodles - MYR 9 nett. I ordered Siew Yuk rice but was given noodles, oh well, I am fine with it and did not complain to her.

This fb seller is so kind to give us free longan white fungus tong sui (sweet soup). So far, including this order, I think I have ordered 5 times from her.

My portion - half rice for me but still so much rice.

My portion. Needless to say, I was stuffed to the brim after eating both my portions.

Items cleared yesterday: The 20 Valencia oranges bought on 7 May 2020 Thursday d51 so 15 days to clear (I estimated 9 days to clear so it took 6 more days) and 12 Changs from Michelle Soo all the way from Malacca (received on Monday 11 May 2020 d55 so 11 days to clear - very fast).

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. Will go and try the coconut pie if i go to mcd. I love coconut. I like your friend's lunch with the minced pork and runny egg. Price is reasonable too. Other than chicken nuggets, i still hv two types of instant noodles, digestive biscuits and instant cereal oats to clear. But as these are not so easily perishable, i can take my time to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please review the coconut pie after you have tried it. Non perishables can be eaten slowly, no worries.

      Delete
  2. Oh, didn't know that there is another name for salmon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, trout is not another name for salmon as you have realized in your next comment.

      Delete
  3. But wait, trout and salmon, they are two different types of fish right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right. They are different fish.

      Delete
  4. Never seen trout here, just salmon...and cod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you saw could be trout labelled as salmon.

      Delete
  5. The best out of fish. I like steaming and poarched method.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trout and salmon. Learned something new today that they are different. I seldom buy salmon. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me wanna eat salmon and trout. Ha :D Creamy and yummy of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew there was even "salmon-trout"! Haha. As I know is two different types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no salmon-trouts. It is a mislabel. Means you seldom go to aeon supermarket to look at the salmons there.

      Delete
    2. I avoid buying things from Aeon if possible coz expensive. Tesco sells at a fraction of the price for salmon. Probably different quality, but when pan-fried I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Hubby doesn't like salmon so I haven't been buying for quite some time now anyway.

      Delete
    3. Don't like then better don't buy. Buy crabs instead. 😋😋😋

      Delete
  9. I heard of trout when I was a kid. I only heard of salmon when I was adult and thought that salmon only swims in England because Prince Charles always fished them and made smoked salmon by himself. That was silly me.

    I am amazed at all the articles you shared about Trout and Salmon. You could go so lengthy and detailed until I learnt something knowledgeable today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wlcm! Wow! You heard of trout when a kid? So clever! I don't remember when I heard of trout. U mean cheong hei, right? Lolx! 😂😂😂

      Delete
  10. I am tempted to but the whole salmon seeing that it is nicely cut and packed like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do buy if you feel like eating a lot of salmon or trout because it is fresh.

      Delete