Monday, May 4, 2020

Rice vinegar

Yesterday was the furthest I went since 18 Mar 2020 stay-at-home started. I went to buy takeaway food from those coffee shops that we frequent previously located 4.3 km away.
9.55 am. We shared this pork Yee Mee at
MYR 6.50 nett from Swee Heng on Sunday 3 May 2020 d47.

I was requested to buy some lap cheong so when I was ordering CKT, I spotted lap cheong so I persuaded the CKT seller to sell me 3 sticks. He asked for MYR 3 nett for each but I paid him MYR 10 nett for all 3.

I was also tasked to get this exact brand of rice vinegar which I did. They want to use this vinegar to pickle homegrown habanero chili. Must be narcissus brand and nothing else. Luckily the neighbourhood sundry shop has this brand of vinegar.

These are the homegrown Habanero chilies. I was told by the home growers that the above may not be Habanero chilies because they do grow Habanero chilies too as shown by the two photos with red chilies below.

Latest batch harvested.

Previous harvest of red chilies and habanero chilies.

Red red habanero chilies - no synthetic pesticides used, home grown. Too bad I don't eat chilies!

Home made angku sold at MYR 1.10 nett. The red dot angku is with coconut fillings.

The skin is much thicker than the ones I  used to buy made by Aroma Nyonya. Taste good though. I bought 9 with mung beans fillings and one with coconut fillings.

Late lunch or early dinner at 4.30 pm - Nasi Lemak Curry chicken at MYR 10 nett.

Roast pork rice at MYR 9 nett. Delivered to doorstep.




22 comments:

  1. I want the angku with mung bean filling. Nasi lemak with curry chicken and a hard boiled egg must be very saisfying, but i need ice water if i am the one eating it. Is this delivery or takeaway.

    So you have been under lock and key for almost more than a month? How many hours clocked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many hours to count. The curry is not spicy so you don't need ice water. This nasi lemak is free delivery. Other food is self pickup.

      Delete
  2. I prefer mung bean filling ang ku kuih.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here but surprisingly the coconut fillings taste good too.

      Delete
  3. Yes, we use that rice vinegar at home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,so this rice vinegar brand is popular.

      Delete
  4. Food looks good.. the angku looks nice too though the skin indeed is a bit too thick. The other day I ordered some, RM1 for each... I like to eat but a bit too oily..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be oily I guess else the angku will stick together

      Delete
  5. Wow! The chilies so red, must be the very spicy type. I also buy this type of rice vinegar. I like both types of angku filling but first preference is the mung bean. We had nasi lemak for breakfast 2 days in a row.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Habanero chillies are very hot. Online says: "Typical Habanero peppers range from 100,000 to 350,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU) which is anywhere from 12 to 100 times hotter than a Jalapeno". You can grow Habanero chilies too if you like very very spicy hot chilies. I was surprised to taste the coconut very nice too but still mung bean is the best. Your nasi lemak has such a good price.

      Delete
  6. 4.3km is ok, well within allowed distance. :)

    Such beautiful chillies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Previously since I don't drive and only one person is allowed in one car, I only walk out twice within 600 meters of my house to the sundry shops nearby.

      Delete
  7. Angku kueh. I like thinner skin. Beautiful chillies. Good to have a long walk after all these weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot walk 4.3 km lah, lolx! Now that two persons are allowed in one car, I was the passenger in the car with the head of the household.

      Delete
  8. This is funny to hear that you traveled the farthest at 4.3 km only!! I being cheeky have been driving around within the 10km radius even when the shops are just 5km away. I wanted to refresh my depressing mind. No worries, I didn't get down from the car when go ronda-ronda.

    I was so happy that my wife found very delicious Nyonya Kuehs from SS2. I will go there often now as their kuehs are better than my regular shop.

    You didn't give ratings for the Nasi Lemak Curry Chicken and Roast Pork Rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two dishes taste acceptable. Oh, which shop in SS2? Malay mail yesterday has an article about Baba Beng's Nyonya kuih. Prior to the Movement Control Order (MCO), they sold their kuih in front of Kedai Telur Gan & Tee at Sea Park, Petaling Jaya. Now you can drive anywhere you like within PJ. You going to open your office and go work there soon?

      Delete
    2. Ah, read your post about the kuih is from chow yang. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. I am fascinated with the looks of this Habanero Chillies. They look cute in red and green. I hope to get the chance to bite them someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can grow them yourself and then you will have these pedas pedas chilies to eat.

      Delete
  10. Such a bountiful harvest of chilies! The red habanero ones are so pretty. I have attempted planting chilies but the most of the flowers drop off before they could develop into fruits.

    For pickled chilies it is a must to use rice vinegar or else the taste is not the same. That brand has been around for a long time and is possibly the gold standard for most people who use rice vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty and very spicy hot so they are suitable for you. Do plant chilies again, especially this habanero chilies. I believe you are right, this is the brand of rice vinegar to use for pickled chilies.

      Delete