Friday, April 24, 2020

Eating Watermelon

 So I bought a 3kg red water melon on Saturday 18 April 2020 d32. Time to eat it. Ate it we did on Monday 20 April 2020 d34. Cut it in half vertically. I wanted to cut it horizontally but I was told then the top would be less sweet then the bottom so I should cut it vertically so that each one gets both top and bottom in one's half.

How do you cut a watermelon?


Scoop out all the red parts including some white parts too. The white parts can be used to boil soup like winter melons. Just substitute winter melons with the white parts of a water melon to boil the soup. We could not finish eating a half each so we scoop out the red parts into containers and store in the fridge to be eaten on another day.

*** Tuesday 21 April 2020 d35 ***

8 am. Not-my-breakfast of instant noodles, big bok choy and roast duck from SRK Noodle House bought on Saturday 18 April 2020 d32. The taste of this soup is like choy kon (dried vegetables) soup. I think the big bok choy mixed with roast duck taste makes the soup taste like choy kon soup which not-me likes a lot. I always prevent not-me from buying choy kon (dried vegetables) because I don't think it is healthy and because it has a lot of sand in the dried vegetables so he is very happy that the taste is the same when using fresh big bok choy.

11 am. My light breakfast of water melon and biscuits as it was near lunch time.

Checked Grab and found out that Mama Cooking has fish Nasi Lemak (MYR 18 nett) today so bought it for two to share for lunch (1 pm).

I also ordered other main dishes to keep in the fridge to be eaten for other meals on other days. One of it is Rice Wine Chicken (MYR 30 nett) which we have eaten at the restaurant before. Total price including delivery fee is MYR 91.30 nett.

The 3 main dishes are placed in containers and cling wrapped to ensure that the gravy and broth do not spill. The smaller container holds the braised pork (MYR 9.80 nett) and the other bigger container holds the pork trotter vinegar (MYR 26 nett).

Before that, I also ordered Texas Chicken via Grab and ate one tender with 3 slices of bread and one Honey-Butter Biscuit for dinner at 6.30 pm. Texas Chicken Original Tenders (MYR 7.60 nett for 3) is larger than KFC Tenders (MYR 12.80 nett for 6) and I prefer the taste of Texas Chicken Original Tenders because it is not spicy. KFC has only one type of Tenders and it is spicy. Teatime at 4.30 pm was to finish up the half container of Red Bean and Glutinous Rice Tong Sui bought from Decades Cafe on Saturday 18 April 2020 d32.

Texas Chicken from IKON Connaught.  Ordered at 11.50ish am and received at 12.20 pm via Grab Car instead of Grab Bike.

Mama Cooking, Kuchai Lama. Ordered at 12 noon and received at 12.30 ish pm via Grab Bike.

I gave my friend five 2AA-size red dragon fruits (half of what I bought) when she bought these 8 oranges and 1 loaf of sprouted rainbow bread for me from Aeon Supermarket in Midvalley Mall. Each customer is limited to one loaf of bread.

She was there on Tuesday 21 April 2020 d35 at 12.30 noon and since Aeon Big and Aeon supermarkets limit the number of customers entering the supermarkets, there was a very long queue at Aeon Big - about 40 people so she did not queue. She went to Aeon Supermarket where the queue was about 25 people. When she was paying for the things at the cashier, she saw that the entry queue at Aeon Supermarket has grown to about 50 people. Wow, this new normal is testing our patience with the long queues so I guess I won't be buying things there anyway since I don't drive.

Back to the oranges, the normal 10-a-bag Navel Oranges are out of stock. Only Valencia Oranges are available and also this Spain-late-oranges of 4-in-a-pack for MYR 7 nett so she bought 2 packs for me. So thankful to her. One of the orange has a Morondo brand sticker on it which I found is a brand from WingKee dot com. Oh well, does not matter where the oranges are from as long as they are edible.

*** Why sometimes can deliver, sometimes cannot  deliver ***

Yesterday Thursday 23 April 2020 (d37), it says cannot deliver so luckily I bought the cheddar bay biscuits on Sunday 19 April 2020 d33 when it can deliver.

After seeing PH's 12 Krispy Kreme donuts, I look for donuts but it says cannot deliver for Dunkin Donuts.

Krispy Kreme also says says cannot deliver though Din Tai Fung in Mid Valley can deliver. So how does it work? So weird.

20 comments:

  1. Nasi lemak looks great! I need fruits too! Normal days, I would always have bananas in the house but they ripen fast and must be eaten quickly and I'm not going out to buy all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bananas are tasty but they ripen very fast like you say so 6 bananas must be finished in 2 days which is a bit much for two persons.

      Delete
  2. I still have half Black Lady watermelon in fridge. Will cut and eat it later.

    I cut it into half, vertically. Kept half. The half, I cut half again. Then slice one quarter. The other quarter, I scoop and cut into cubes. Jamie likes to eat like that. Less messy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so you cut vertically too. Yes, scooping out to eat is less messy because watermelon is very juicy so the juice will be dripping everywhere.

      Delete
  3. I only buy a whole watermelon when there's home parties. I would cut the same way and into tiny bite sizes. Other days I would buy the cut-fruits like RM1.99 for a packet of water melons.

    In South Thailand, the folks would cook the watermelon skins in sourish and very spicy hot curry which is most delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the watermelon skins cooked in sourish and spicy hot curry are very appetising! Good to hear that watermelon skins are eaten without being wasted. I seldom buy whole watermelons too and I also seldom but already cut watermelons. Just this time to support the local farmers.

      Delete
  4. yea I have heard that the watermelon skin can use to boil soup, but we never try that before. Hmmm....we ate a lot of watermelons these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, good that you all eat a lot of watermelons. Where did you buy them from? Can try to use the skin (the white not green parts) to boil soup. Or if adventurous can cook Curry as described by TM.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Watermelon... not top to bottom but a cross section of it, estimation based on how much we can finish. Then store the whole uncut portion in fridge.

      Delete
    2. Don't think can be sold out right? Just that sometimes can deliver, sometimes cannot. Like pakai tikam, everyday need to check.

      Delete
    3. so do u find the head or tail of watermelon is sweeter since u cut cross section?

      Delete
    4. Erm never noticed! By the time haphazardly put on a plate, dunno which is top or bottom any more.

      Delete
  6. Very lazy to cut fruits, so i usually buy ready ones from stalls to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I will cut the watermelon into pieces which is easier to eat and not so messy. Sometimes I will use a spoon to scoop the watermelon like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find cutting watermelon into pieces cause the juice to flow out and be lost. By scooping, I can drink the juice in the half skin since they cannot flow out.

      Delete
  8. As far as I know, watermelon has always been cut vertically. My late grandfather cuts the flesh (instead of scooping) for storage in the fridge. But of course if you are eating straightaway, scooping would be best.

    As for the "can't deliver to your area at the moment" I experience it too. Can be frustrating. But what I do is just wait say 10 minutes or so and try again. Sometimes successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that cutting the flesh of the watermelon insteaed of scooping, a lot of juices will flow away whereas the juice is still in the watermelon shell if I scoop and then I can drink the juice.

      Oh, is it? Just need to wait a few minutes and sometimes can get? I thought need to wait for another day which did work for Red Lobster.

      Delete