Friday, March 17, 2023

Banana Leaf No Rice

On Friday 17.mar.2023, went to Midvalley Mall for grocery shopping and lunch.

*** BananaBro Gardens Mall ***

11.31 am - This is my Banana Leaf No Rice for lunch. He chose to eat the banana leaf craving set MYR 12.90++ at BananaBro Gardens Mall so we ordered one set each but I don't want to eat rice because I want to eat shaved ice at snowflake later so I didn't eat the free flow rice.

11.31 am - this is the self serve free flow rice placed at our table which he scooped out a bit to eat and I didn't eat any so the remaining rice in the stainless steel container will be reheated to be provided to later customers I guess.

Total price MYR 74.70 nett because we also ordered ALA carte my mutton varuval MYR 19.90++, his fried spiced chicken aka ayam goreng berempah MYR 7.90++, his hot teh tarik MYR 4.90++ and my iced Cham drink MYR 5.90++ since I prefer to drink cold beverages.

11.32 am - luckily the portion of mutton varuval is not too much as he only ate a tiny piece of mutton to taste it and he says oohhh, strong mutton taste which I like but he doesn't like. This mutton varuval is only a bit spicy so is very suitable for me.

The 4 containers are part of the craving set with deep fried gourd in two containers, cucumber onion yogurt salad and spiced cabbages with dried red chillies.

11.31 am - these gravies are also part of the craving set. Since I didn't eat rice, I also didn't eat any of these gravies.

11.39 am - waited a while for his ayam berempah which turned out to be cut-up pieces of deep fried chicken marinated in spices that are not the same as the taste of ayam berempah by AMAH. One piece of ayam berempah is missing from the picture above because it jumped onto the table and he picked it up and placed it on his banana leaf. He applied the 3 seconds rule for dropped food despite knowing that the rule is a myth. 😂🤣😅 Hopefully his stomach acid can handle the table microbes.

12.04 noon - my banana leaf no rice. I ate all the deep fried gourd and spiced cabbages but couldn't eat all the cucumber onion yogurt salad. The top pile consists of bones from mutton varuval. On the left is a piece of the dried red chillies from the spiced cabbage dish.

4.47 pm - the remaining mutton varuval for another day. I prepared the bread in advance in my container so that the gravy from the mutton varuval will be soaked into the bread. I planned to order mutton varuval since yesterday.

*** Beef Lai fun soup Alison ***

4.56 pm - he reheated the beef Lai fun soup MYR 14 that he bought from Alison coffee shop yesterday for his dinner by adding veges and sesame seeds to it.

6.43 pm - he couldn't eat all the food so I had to eat the above remaining food for him. The spice taste is not that varied so need to eat the above with the provided chili dip which is a bit too spicy for me. For MYR 14, I would say this beef noodle soup is in the can-buy-again-for-2pax-to-eat category.

11 comments:

  1. lol, this is the first time i m seeing people eating banana leaf no-rice, although it is becoming norm lately. I too had nasi lemak without nasi sometimes...and my parent sometimes eating it without the sambal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, you are more keng 💪 because so far I haven't eaten nasi lemak without the nasi because the nasi with coconut Santan is nasi lemak whereas banana leaf rice without the rice, still got the banana leaf, hahahaha lolx 😂

      Delete
  2. opps.....it's NuxV here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for letting me know. About the sambal, I often eat nasi lemak without the sambal.

      Delete
  3. Nasi lemak, banana leaf, I want my rice. Lol. But usually it takes lot effort to finish my banana leaf. Very hearty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, rice is a food staple for more than 3.5 billion people around the world <- an online search says. Normally banana leaf food is free flow so you can eat as much or as little as you want. No fixed big portion.

      Delete
  4. This post really makes me dream of banana leaf rice and curry! LOL! I will have rice, just a little bit. I used to have loads in the past. One day, I shall visit the Bananabro in Uptown,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next visit, I will eat rice with the curry gravy at BananaBro.

      Delete
  5. You're really disciplined! BLR without rice.

    ReplyDelete