Friday, April 2, 2021

NKT Sotong King

 Yesterday, Thu 1.apr.21, we went for our weekly grocery shopping at the Midvalley Mall from about 10.30 am to 1.30 pm. We bought takeaway lunch from Nasi Kukus Tonggek kiosk in Aeon Food Court for my friend.

My friend took this photo for me when eating the big squid at 2.40 pm. The deep fried squid rice that costs MYR 18.90 nett consists of rice, cucumbers, deep fried squid, sambal and curry gravy. 

I also bought a side order of deep fried tempe in salted egg yolk gravy snack at MYR 7.90 nett for my friend. The salted egg yolk gravy tastes a bit sweet and not strong on the salted egg yolk, barely detectable. The tempe is very firm and tastes like brown dao ban jiang. The usual dao ban jiang is made from fermented broad beans, chili peppers, soybeans, salt and flour.

5.07 pm - both of us shared this big squid rice for our dinner. Since we have given our spicy sambal to my friend, we poured all the sweetish curry gravy over the squid to cover the deep fried oil taste. The squid can be easily chewed because my friend suspects that it has been soaked in baking soda aka bicarbonate of soda to tenderize it.

Total price for two big squid rice and one snack is MYR 45.70 nett.

This is the lunch queue at the NKT kiosk at Aeon Food Court, Midvalley Mall to collect the already paid dine-in orders at 1.09 pm. No queue at the cashier counter at the right of this photo. Seems that they are still quite popular.

*** Brunch dine-in-2021 #2 at Mak's Chee, Midvalley Mall ***
 
10.54 am - a small bowl of beef brisket and tendon noodle in soup at MYR 14.90++ and a big bowl of 6 Wantons and 3 sui gao aka dumplings at MYR 22.90++ because a small bowl wouldn't be enough for both of us since I like to eat the Wantons and dumplings of this eatery

The beef tendon has a lot of slippery membranes covering it which makes me a bit queasy to eat it as these membranes are usually removed for beef tendons served in my favourite beef noodle restaurant Yong Kang in Taipei. A normal eater would find the small bowl of noodles to be too little but I like the small portion size because it leaves me room in my stomach for Wantons and dumplings.

10.57 am - A small portion of luncheon meat lard rice at MYR 14.90++ which is just rice fried in light lard oil since not much lard taste and definitely no deep fried lard aka ju yao zhar in the rice. I ate a bit of the fried egg white since I don't eat runny yolks, a bit of rice, a piece of cucumber and a piece of luncheon meat which is very tasty.

Shared this milk tea in ice at MYR 8.50++ before he asked me to drink it all because he tastes milk at the bottom.

Total price is MYR 71 nett, a bit over our brunch budget but a very satisfying Brunch so it was worth the price but maybe not worth the risk if we catch anything. At 10.38 am, there was only one table occupied so we went in to dine in. At 11.30 am, when we went to pay our bill, there were 3 tables occupied by customers. Hopefully we didn't catch anything.

The names of the dishes in chinese characters in the order slip.

22 comments:

  1. Now that is HUGE! I just came back from the fish seller stall near my house - bought 2 kg of squid, my girl loves it so much. Quite big, RM20 a kg. My missus does not like the small ones, such a chore to clean and she is not fond of the extra big ones wither, not so nice, she said. I dunno, I just eat. LOL!!! Personally I prefer prawns...and crabs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beef brisket and tendon noodle soup looks gorgeous! I think I'll go for something like that tomorrow. LOL!!!

      Delete
    2. How does your wife cook the squids? I have no idea that the price of squids are not low. I don't like to cook any seafood cos they make the kitchen smells like the seaside.

      Delete
    3. Oh, so you will dine in tomorrow to eat a bowl of beef brisket and tendon noodles in soup? I wonder which shop u will go to.

      Delete
  2. My hubby caught a big squid few weeks ago. I have not use and cook it yet. Maybe can deep fry like this. Bet the kids will like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your big squid is now frozen? Did you clean it before putting it into the freezer? Really salute you because so much effort to clean a squid.

      Delete
  3. ah finally u tried the deep fried sotong! i have no fate to try this coz it got sold out very fast! Now that i see ur beef noodles at Mak's, i wanted to try it...i m ok with small portion coz i can't stand gamey beef taste. So those slippery membranes are not edible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, this deep fried sotong is still so popular until sold out very fast. I ate all the slippery membranes despite feeling geli. Those membranes can be eaten. If you don't want tendon, u can order just the beef brisket with noodles in soup small portion.

      Delete
  4. The deep fried sotong rice looks yummy. I am craving for beef brisket with noodles in soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you got write about some very nice beef tendons soup recently I think if I remember correctly.

      Delete
  5. Hmm that giant squid is a staple at Aeon food courts? I was in the Shah Alam one recently and saw a sample skewered in front of the stall. It was certainly giant in size! Your review of it isn't too good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, is it the same franchise of nasi Kukus Tonggek? I very seldom eat deep fried sotong so my review cannot be considered so you need to go eat to make your own judgement. Maybe you would love it if you like to eat sotong. Food I like are cakes and ice cream, no sotong in the list. 🤣😂

      Delete
    2. Yes the name is the same. I didn't see the stall until after I had lunch. Sotong has always been a fav of mine.

      Delete
    3. Next time if got chance, you must try this sotong king then.

      Delete
  6. I hardly eat squid and I like it deep fried like that. Oh! I haven't been Mak's Chee for a long time. Must revisit and eat the tendon brisket soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also seldom eat squid. I haven't eaten at Mak's Chee in one utama. Only been to the one in Midvalley.

      Delete
    2. I wonder is this nasi Kukus Tonggek in aeon food court in one utama or not. If it is there, u could go try it.

      Delete
  7. The luncheon meat rice is plated so cute like a bunny.

    I am salivating at the giant squid. I super love giant squid. Yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When pandemic has ended, u can go eat this sotong king. Oh, is it? Let me go look at the luncheon meat plate again.

      Delete
    2. Ya, now I see the bunny and cannot unsee it with the huge egg yolk 👀 eyes. Lolx! 😄

      Delete
  8. The squid does look big though. SO yeah can be called king. Ha :D

    ReplyDelete