Sunday, March 31, 2019

Nasi Lemak In a Puff


I was quite hungry when I was passing Old Chang Kee shop in One Utama so I bought 5 curry puffs to get one free when the staff asked me to buy one more curry puff and he would give me another curry puff for free so I did and ended up with 8 curry puffs. One of the curry puffs is the Nasi Lemak Curry Puff - the normal price is MYR 4.10 nett each but since I got 2 curry puffs of a lesser price for free, the average price for one curry puff is only MYR 2.25 nett which is quite a good price.

I could not detect any taste of coconut milk nor pandan. The main taste of the fillings is sambal. There are whole peanuts, pieces of anchovies, a small piece of hard boiled egg and small pieces of proper chicken meat (not reconstituted ones). It is only slightly spicy. Compared to other curry puffs, this nasi lemak curry puff has a lot more ingredients in it. Having tried it, I don't think I will buy it at the normal price though I may buy it if there is a discount because it tastes fine for a curry puff.

To recap with two photos from my previous post in October 2018. I did not take notice whether this sign is still there on the counter.

This time I did not buy the Curry Chicken & Egg Puff nor the Mushroom Chicken Puff at MYR 3.10 nett each. Apart from 1 Nasi Lemak Chicken & Egg Puff (MYR 4.10 nett), I bought 1 Rendang Chicken Puff (MYR 3.10 nett) and the rest of the puffs at MYR 2.70 nett each - 2 Sardine Puffs, 1 Chicken Puff, 1 Super Spicy Chicken Puff which was not that spicy and I was given two Sambal & Egg Puffs worth MYR 2.70 nett each for free. I like the Sambal & Egg Puffs because it was filled with potatoes and one small piece of hard boiled egg and the sambal is not too spicy and just slightly sweet.

I must be crazy to buy MYR 18 nett worth of curry puffs when I could buy smaller curry puffs filled with just potatoes at a roadside stall for just MYR 0.50 nett each. So I must make it a point not to walk pass Old Chang Kee when I am hungry.

8 curry puffs in two paper bags.

One curry puff crumbled in the paper bag but it could still be eaten so I ate it and all is well.

22 comments:

  1. Gosh! And I was complaining about our RM1.50 curry puff that day. LOL!!! No taste of coconut milk? No rice either, I guess? How to be nasi lemak like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should write nasi lemak inspired curry puffs. Perhaps they should have put actual coconut milk infused rice inside the curry puffs.

      Delete
  2. I still go for the traditional curry puff. Potatoes in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can get those at 50 cents at the roadside stalls.

      Delete
  3. I bought the curry puffs once or twice some years ago. It was quite nice. Since the shop is still there, they are doing well. The one at Damansara Uptown closed quite some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This stall at One Utama has been there for as long as I can remember so I guess they have their regular customers (like me hahahaha). I have not seen the one at Uptown but I know the one at Tesco (The Curve) has closed down and gone away. I agree that it is a tasty curry puff if not compared to the actual nasi lemak.

      Delete
  4. I don't like peanuts and anchivies in my curry puff so definitely i will not buy the nasi lemak puff, i have been eatin old chang kee curry puffs recently, one for S$1.50.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of curry puff!

    The nasi lemak one look interesting but I don't think I'd be game enough to try one. You are adventurous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yes, I have gone mad and bought so many. Since buying so many, might as well choose the nasi lemak one too.

      Delete
  6. I like Old Changkee too.. but never tried that nasi lemak one before.. perhaps one day I will..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried nasi lemak in puff. If I do come across, I would be curious to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. old chang kee!!! I like their curry puffs until the recent years coz the crust got thicker and lesser fillings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer their previous round curry puffs instead of the new almost flat ones.

      Delete
  9. Or the Ikea ones at under RM1 each heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Ikea ones I find are very, very oily though I do eat them, hahaha.

      Delete
    2. Blot off some with the napkin haha.

      Delete