Monday, March 11, 2019

Judys Lei Char

Judy's Hakka Lei Char at Foodies' Nest, The Starling Mall's food court with brown rice at MYR 12.50 nett.

As mentioned by PH, this Lei Char broth tastes really good. It is thick, minty and not salty at all because it is supposed to be mixed with the vegetables (chai poh - perserved vege is salty), peanuts and rice.

 Chai Poh (preserved vegetable), green beans, tofu, peanuts, tapioca leaves, and brown rice.

You can opt for a bowl of the lei char soup at MYR 7 nett without any rice nor vegetables or choose between white or brown rice with vegetables.

Other dishes that are available from the same kiosk.

Yam Abacus is available too at Judy's.

Judy's stall at Foodies' Nest, Starling Mall's Food Court.

Yellow Wine Chicken with Rice at MYR 18 nett. The broth is tasty with strong yellow wine taste but there were more chicken bones than meat.

The Yellow Wine Chicken is from this Pin Qian stall where we bought Bak Kut Teh from previously. Yellow Wine Chicken alone without the rice costs MYR 16.50 nett.

Chee Cheong Fun with one whole Deep Fried chicken leg - MYR 13.90 nett - from the LFC stall where I ate Mutton Curry Rice Set before. LFC stands for Lim Fried Chicken. I find the curry quite spicy and need to drink water to quench the spiciness.

Receipts for the 4 dishes. The cashier made an error and keyed in ala carte order at MYR 16.50 nett but collected MYR 18 nett from me for the yellow wine chicken rice set. She did not rectify the error at the cash register and so she did not reissue a new receipt with the amount of MYR 18 that she collected.

So how do they do reconciliation at the closing of business day then? The total amount shown by the cash register will not tally with the cash notes inside the cash register as there would be MYR 1.50 nett more of MYR notes and coins. Perhaps I should have insisted that she void the wrong order and key in the correct order before giving her MYR 18 nett.

22 comments:

  1. The lei cha looks delicious. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lei cha is supposed to be bitter, the more bitter, the better - anything medicinal is supposed to be bitter. We only have it at one place here, once a week - lunch every Friday and always sold out, only RM6.00. I've tried but no, I am not really into it.

    I've also tried the yellow wine chicken at a famous shop (all the newspaper cuttings) at Jalan Alor but no, I did not enjoy its sweetness...and I felt quite drunk when I walked back to the hotel. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you enjoyed Judy's lei cha. It is so very flavorful. I wanted to try the yellow wine chicken but looks like not worth it if they give us more bone than meat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the broth is very thick and not salty so I like it.

      Delete
  4. Oo nice selection of hard-to-find items.

    The cashier maybe has a tolerance limit between actual cash and the recorded amount. Or she intends to pocket the extra RM1.50!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't know if the error was intentional or not because I did say the number for set when ordering.

      Delete
  5. i prefer lei cha than the wine chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eyeing the yellow wine chicken... long time I did not take that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is mostly bitter, not salty. Good for detox. When my mum cooked this, I used to ask her to fry some salted fish. The bitterness and saltiness go so well. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanna try the leicha too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have not tried before? then must try or you can make your own since you are a good cook.

      Delete
  9. Long time ago when I worked in a shopping mall, my cashier friend said they will need to fork out the difference at the end of the day. I don't know if the same system still applies today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if less cash, yes cashiers may need to fork out from their own pockets. but this time is more cash so?

      Delete
  10. I would choose the lei char with the vegetables with a little rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More rounded taste with vegetables and rice.

      Delete
  11. The bitter taste of the lei char will go very well with the chai poh which is salty. I had tried lei char once after i saw them in your blog but i am not really into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an acquired taste. Maybe if you eat it regularly, you will like it.

      Delete