Friday, June 11, 2021

Entier Ox Vadouvan

Today is Fri, 11.jun.21, Day 11 of 14, 3 more days to the what's next question. Yesterday, Thu 10.jun.21, we went out to Lucky Alley and Swee Heng to buy Takeaway food for two days.

Continue with the food from Entier. For the main meal of set 2, I chose Ox &  Vadouvan. The description on the menu says:

"Vadouvan spiced ox cheek and tongue stew, rice pilaf cooked in ox broth and vadouvan; sunny-side up egg".

Vadouvan is a version of curry.  Rice pilaf means:

"Each grain has to be separate and flavourful, cooked as it is in just enough stock to let it cook fully without getting mushy. So any rice dish which is cooked with meat (with other additions depending on the terrain and culture it belongs to) and where the grains are separate is technically a pilaf/pulao. "

The above description is copied from:

https://food.ndtv.com/opinions/what-is-the-difference-between-pulao-pilaf-and-biryani-1252774

This is how the main dish looks like in the biodegradable plate when I brought it home on wed 26.may.21 and after I removed the cling film wrapper and transparent plate cover.

With the cover and cling film still on.

This is how it looks like after one night in the fridge. The Vadouvan smells like Japanese curry but tastes slightly different, less sweet. I couldn't identify any ox tongue in the dish. Just a few chunky pieces of ox cheek which surprisingly is very tender and tasty. The rice tastes very rich with just the right amount of flavours.

As I don't eat runny egg yolks and he didn't want to eat that egg, I put the sunny side up egg face down on a slice of bread and microwave it until the egg yolk is fully cooked as shown in the photo above: top = before and  bottom = after. I ate the egg on that day, wed itself.

***Food  on Thu 10.jun.21 ***

7.28 am - fish balls Mee hoon from wed 9.jun bought from lucky restaurant desa petaling as his breakfast with added lettuce.

9.16 am - my portion of fish balls.

The fu zhou fish ball has minced meat in it. After breakfast, we went out to buy takeaway food.

11.34 am - early lunch of Rojak from Swee heng coffee shop  at MYR 7 nett.

11.47 am - my portion of Rojak with a piece of siew yuk. I bought MYR 6 nett worth of siew yuk from Swee Heng coffee shop too.

3.22 pm - hainan bread with kaya and butter. I help him clear this bread.

6 pm - for dinner, we ate one Bak chang each. Bought from Swee Heng for MYR  6.50 nett each. It has cowpeas, a piece of pork fats and skin, a piece of lean meat, a piece of chestnut, 1 mushroom,  and salted egg yolk. Very flavourful but not salty.

18 comments:

  1. I dont take internal organ so I am not sure I would enjoy the ox tongue. Generous gravy on your rojak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find any ox tongue in this dish even though it is listed in the menu so you are safe. 😊

      Delete
  2. u normally eat bakchang with bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. The bread is to prevent the plate from getting sticky from the sticky rice of the Bak chang.

      Delete
  3. As I said in my post, each day we think of what to eat only.. hahahaa.. main chore! Now I got to think what to cook for dinner... still full and no idea as yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If still full, then no need to cook dinner! 😂

      Delete
  4. I am surprised you don't like runny egg yolks. I love them and always ordered at Old Town Coffee with thick toasts. Yums! Heavens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I myself also cannot understand why I can eat blue cheese, kimchi, and chow tofu but I just cannot eat runny eggs. I tried to eat a few days but still cannot stand the taste.

      Delete
  5. ox cheek and tongue stew...this is definitely too exotic for me. LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot eat beef so I guess you cannot eat ox too.

      Delete
  6. You made me have craving for Bak Chang, Dumpling Festival coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't eat runny eggs either. Good thing can make use of the egg since you're at home. Interesting food from Entier, definitely something exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, now I think I am better off just buying food and eating at home. Oh, so you don't eat poached eggs too?

      Delete
    2. The egg yolk must be fully cooked. So no poached.

      Delete
    3. Only exception is onsen eggs.

      Delete