Tuesday, January 26, 2021

In the Mood for CNY

18 days to go before CNY and I am feeling CNY in the air. Quite excited about it. I don't visit friends during CNY so this year will be the same for me. 

Every chinese new year, we give my elderly inlaws a rest from cooking. For this year, we decided to buy frozen food to heat up for them during all 15 days of cny (I mean throughout the span of the 15 days, not 15 frozen dishes). We considered 3 eateries only amongst the many eateries providing cny frozen ready to eat meals.

The food provided by easy dot delicacies look very good but the portion is way too much for 3 pax so they were not chosen.

Next is Gao Ren Guan restaurant with their many types of frozen ready to eat meal. The portion is right for us but as we are not going to Jaya Grocer where these frozen meals are sold, we don't know where to reliably get them so no go here. Please click on the picture above to get a larger image to read the prices and dishes.

Gao Ren Guan restaurant provides takeaways for special CNY dishes too but the portion is way too much for 3 pax.

I am happy to say that we have ticked this item off our CNY preparation checklist as we bought the ready to eat frozen food from Eu Yan Sang because we know the taste of the food cooked by Zun express which is Eu Yan Sang's kitchen section. I bought them using eu yan sang hp app and got MYR 10 off.

Bought 4 types of frozen dishes on Saturday and they were delivered on Monday 25.1.21 which is very efficient.

2 packs of braised pork knuckle with black bean vinegar at MYR 25.20 Nett each.

One pack lotus leaf rice with waxed meat at MYR 43.20 Nett.

One pack Braised pork belly with herbs at MYR 38.70 Nett.

This is the pack of frozen pork belly.

2 packs braised pork knuckle with superior sauce at MYR 43.20 Nett each.

This is the frozen pack of braised pork knuckle.

Total price is MYR 208 after deducting MYR 10 e-voucher promo. Free delivery for purchase above MYR 200 Nett. 

Now that the frozen food box is ticked, next is to buy CNY goodies for them. I have fun every year hunting for suitable cny goodies for my in-laws. This year I will be hunting online instead of going to the mall. So fun, right? Are you ready for CNY?

18 comments:

  1. Wowwwww!!!! For 15 days? Your freezer must be very big.

    Last year, I did go and buy some of our favourites in town and freeze so my missus would not have to cook so much but everything was not as nice upon heating up and eating when the day came - not like eating it hot from the kitchen.

    I have bought some stuff from Payung again this year and kept in our freezer though. We'll just keep it simple, nothing fancy in this pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all frozen food for all 15 days but frozen food spanning 15 days. Guess it depends on the food, some food taste better when kept for a longer time. Well, have to get use to apocalyptic days if want to survive. No luxury of eating only tasty food.

      Delete
  2. Wow!! Pre-packed food for CNY all the way to Chap Goh Mei!!

    I also thinking of ordering dishes and keep but not that much. Maybe for first 2 days. Still in planning. Maybe this year I will be cooking for reunion dinner since my in-law is not coming and we only go to my parents' house for reunion lunch on the eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I amended the above. Not all 15 days eat frozen food. I am not going anywhere for reunion.

      Delete
  3. I have not try any of these dishes in frozen form (then reheated). Mostly such dishes are cooked and eaten fresh so i'm hesitating to try. Your freezer must be super huge to be able to store foods for 15 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't know when a restaurant reheat frozen ready meals from their central kitchen. 😁 Not frozen food for all 15 days la. Amended the above.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This post is interesting as you shared so much CNY goodies. I may not be in the fullest CNY mood yet but I went all out to get ready to bring my excitement up as this pandemic is depressing. The frozen food is definitely worth buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can go n decorate your office n your wife office in ttdi to get into cny mood. Yes, the frozen food is worth buying as these dishes take a lot of effort to cook from scratch.

      Delete
  5. Wow you have stocked up already :D

    Ouh you don't usually visit your friends and relatives? It will be totally different for me and my family this year as usually spend a few days for house-visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stocked up is for my in-laws. I can eat fast food burgers for every meal. No, no visiting. Finds it pointless to do so because if I want to maintain a good relationship with them, can do it anytime, no need wait till cny.

      Delete
  6. So uncertain for this CNY! I was preparing to make cookies which we can't do in our apartment (will go bonkers using the oven toaster to bake so much!). Hoping MCO can end on 4 Feb as scheduled as that would leave a weekend for baking.

    Eu Yan Sang sounds good - do share on the review later. Why 3 pax though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, so late now but yet never announce rules for cny sop. Hard to plan for many families such as yours. I don't think it will end on 4 Feb.

      3 pax cos my 2 in-laws n my spouse. I m not joining cos I m not seeing my mother too to make certain if I get it, I know where I got it from so I m keeping my contact with other ppl to the bare minimum.

      We did our own cny sop as follows:
      We told his mother and sister we r not joining them for cny reunion dinner cos wanna limit to max two households per gathering so:
      1. His mother household
      2. His sister household so max two already. He will have lunch on cny Eve with his parents so also 2 households max. I m not joining at all.

      Delete
    2. You are certainly treading carefully. Kudos to you.

      Delete
    3. Very conservative. The numbers are still so high. 4k.

      Delete
  7. You are ready and raring to go LOL! So convenient these days can get all these wonderful frozen dishes. Really makes like easier. Just defrost and heat up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Really convenient because pork trotter takes a lot of effort to clean.

      Delete
  8. So convenient to just heat up the frozen food and eat. You are right to say no need just visit relatives and friends during CNY to maintain the relationship, it can be done on any other normal day too. This year i have not gone round shopping malls to take pics of their CNY decorations don't know is lazy or no mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen food is good for those who doesn't cook. Maybe later you will get the mood to go take photos of orchard road and other places cny decor. Singapore allows cny visiting with some rules so u have planned all your cny visiting to coordinate with your friends and relatives to follow the rules?

      Delete