Thursday, January 21, 2021

Canelé

 Yesterday, 20.1.21 Wed, I went out to Lucky Alley and Choy Kei coffee shops at Happy Garden to buy takeaway food. Now that dining in is not allowed, it is easier to maintain 2 meters (6 feet) distance between people as all the tables and chairs are removed and there are very few people inside the coffee shops.

For tea, I ordered delivery from a new cafe which just opened for business in BSC because they sell canele and I have never eaten canele. Tea then turned out to be my early dinner as I was too full to eat anything else after that.

3 Canelés sold in a box for MYR 20 Nett.

Top view.

Cross section. The inside is soft and slightly milky. The outer caramelized crust is crispy. This is a french pastry.

Another 3 to be kept in the fridge for another day but they are supposed to be eaten warm.

There they are, 3 canelés in a box.

I also bought one croissant which is in the paper bag above, a cup of coffee and 2 slices of cake in addition to 2 boxes of Canelés.

Pineapple and carrot cake. Can you spot the cube of pineapple in the cake?

Very rich and tasty at MYR 14. I only managed to eat half and then I was very full so I kept the remaining half in the fridge.

Dark chocolate cake with raspberry frosting at MYR 14. The cake has slid apart during the journey to my place. I ate half of it.

Croissant at MYR 7. Flaky crispy outer layers and thick fleshy inside. He ate this croissant with salted butter while drinking the coffee.

Burrow is the name of this new cafe.

A tea time splurge.

10.22 am - seafood meehoon from choy kei at MYR 8.

10.40 am - I put in one duck gizzard from sun into my portion of meehoon. Added in one ytf beancurd puff (tofupok). I bought 5 ytf tofupok at MYR 2 each from choy kei.

The tofupok is stuffed with fish mixed with pork meat paste. It is said to be from Bentong.

12.30 noon - he boiled some vege to go with his lunch.

Not my lunch of duck meat with siew yuk rice at MYR 9.50 from the shop next to lucky alley. I looked at the signboard for this shop and it says lucky alley so it is an extension to lucky alley. So for this day, I eat cakes for early dinner at 4 pm.

22 comments:

  1. French, eh? Never heard of it nor tried it before. Wow!!! RM7 for a croissant? I guess it's a branded one, not from just any bakery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a new cafe, not branded. It is quite big and fleshy.

      Delete
  2. First glance. I thought it was jelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha ya. Jelly does have shapes like this.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That french pastry looks delicious for sure. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried Canele before... must be very nice when warm up.. I like the look of the pineapple cake too... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The carrot pineapple cake is tasty n very rich.

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard or tried Canele….I just googled it and found that it is another French thing! I like croissant, especially the big ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a french pastry. This croissant is a big fat one.

      Delete
  6. Canele is new to me. I want some pineapple carrot cake and croissants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The carrot pineapple cake is one of the better ones.

      Delete
  7. Hoohoo.. very atas. Looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cafe in BSC is very instagrammable but no dining in now. When can dine in again, you can bring SE n JE there.

      Delete
    2. I haven't gone to BSC for years. It's quite small so not worth going all the way there for us.

      Delete
    3. Worth going to if u want to buy imported goods in jason supermarket.

      Delete
    4. For imported I'd usually go to Jaya Grocer, Village grocer.

      Delete
    5. Jason's range is more I believe.

      Delete
  8. I love your cakes and the 3 Canelés which has very nice texture. So yummy! I wish I had that for my birthday too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can go buy takeaway since you driving here n there now.

      Delete
  9. The Caneles look good. Yes, I can spot the pineapple in the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, you have sharp eyes. You will like the canelés cos it is sweet enough.

      Delete