Monday, August 24, 2020

Ying Yong is Incorrect

 Sunday 23 Aug 2020 d159 - at 2 pm, we dropped by San Kee coffee shop with the intention to buy stir fry beef slices hor fun (ngao hor) but was told sold out so I ordered hokkien Mee mixed Mee Hoon and wat tan ying Yong as takeaways and that stall seller says oh, so you want one white and one dark ying Yong. Without thinking deeper I said yes. So these two packets of noodles cost MYR 16 nett. The above photo was taken at 2.59 pm.

I also bought a pack of special pork mihun hor fun soup at MYR 10 nett from the shop next to San Kee for breakfast on the next day. Special means bursting meatballs are included.

 When I ate my portion at 3.26 pm, the Mee Hoon was still crispy because it was not pre fried. The stall seller deep fried the Mee Hoon after I have placed my order and I had to wait for a while. Quite a decent wat tan ying Yong with only 1 prawn.

 At 5.21 pm, he excitedly told me the hokkien noodles must be soft and nice after being braised longer in the packet when he was opening the packet of hokkien noodles to eat it for dinner. Then I was shocked to hear his exclamation of disappointment when he saw that it was not dai Lok mi (big fat noodles) but Mee Hoon mixed with hor fun stir fried in hokkien char style.

Then only I realized that the seller says oh, so you want one white and one dark ying Yong means he used Mee Hoon and hor fun for both noodles dishes since that is what ying Yong means whereas I said hokkien mee mixed with Mee Hoon because I thought by default hokkien Mee means dai Lok mee and at that time it didn't dawn on me that he meant Mee Hoon and hor fun as ying Yong. I mean why would anyone wants to eat hokkien Mee if not for the melt in the mouth big fat noodles?

So it was my mistake in placing the order and he was disappointed. So we need to go there another day at an earlier time to buy ngao hor and this hokkien char again.

Trivial:
Ying Yong is Cantonese for 鴛鴦 which means Mandarin duck. As a pair of Mandarin ducks looks very different but is well matched with each other , 鴛鴦 is used to mean two things that are different but well paired (well matched).

In KL, when in the context of Cantonese style stirfry noodles (Kong Fu char), ying Yong means hor fun (kway teow) mix with crispy meehoon. This style of egg gravy noodles is also called wat tan hor or wat tan ying Yong depending on the noodles. Hor for hor fun and ying Yong for Mee Hoon mix hor fun.

In HK char chan teng (HK on tea coffee eateries), ying yong refers to coffee mix with tea whereas in KL, we call it cham. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuenyeung

 6.36 pm - my portion of my mistake for dinner.

 9.22 am - shared breakfast of charsiew wan ton noodles bought from Sepetang coffee shop yesterday with added vegetables.

9.44 am - my portion of breakfast. I find the char siew too flavourful - the sweetness and saltiness combined is too strong. Same goes for the noodles.

16 comments:

  1. I don't mind eating the hokkien style hor fun with meehoon coz i dislike the big fat noodles which is so 'jelak' to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, you are up so early or you haven't slept yet? Oh, really!? You don't like hokkien char the default dai Lok mee? Never eat? I can't eat whole plate, just a few mouthfuls.

      Delete
  2. Oh? Dunno Cantonese but I thought ying yong is another name used to refer to wat tan hor kind of noodles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the one with the egg sauce.

      Delete
    2. Wat tan hor means smooth egg gravy hor fun so when people want meehoon mix with hor fun they will say wat tan ying Yong so the ying Yong refers to Mee hoon mix hor fun. I know this but at that time I just didn't think deeper.

      Delete
    3. Ying Yong is Cantonese for 鴛鴦 which means Mandarin duck. As Mandarin ducks pair looks very different but is well matched, 鴛鴦 is used to mean two things that are different but well paired (well matched). In KL, when in the context of Cantonese style stirfry noodles (Kong Fu char), ying Yong means hor fun (kway teow) mix with crispy meehoon.

      In HK char chan teng (HK tea coffee eateries), ying yong refers to coffee mix with tea whereas in KL, we call it cham. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuenyeung

      Delete
  3. I prefer ying yong anytime, not really a fan of tai lok mee, too filling for me but once awhile, take a bit is nice. There is a shop in Rawang where they cook tai lok mee with yam... that is the only place I tasted with a combination like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shop in rawang cook Tai lok mee with yam in which style? Loh Mee style or dark sos hokkien style? Must taste nice with yam in it.

      Delete
  4. I believe I have had meehoon/mee combo for Hokkien noodles. I quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, you got Mee which is not kway teow right? The Mee should be dai Lok mee unless they use the normal yellow Mee. I wanted to buy the meehoon mix the default hokkien Mee which I believe is what you had.

      Delete
  5. I knew he meant meehoon mix with hor fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought yinyong referred to yin and yang aka the good/bad, the hot/cold, the black/white round sign...

    Our food terms are confusing since people make it up until it becomes commonly used. I only know yinyong specifically as kuey teow wat tan hor with crispy mihun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, some people also write that it is the black white round sign but the Cantonese words refer to the Mandarin ducks. What you say is true because in HK, yingyong is used for the tea coffee and not for Mee Hoon kway teow.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah you're right. I do know the tea/coffee yinyong.

      Delete