Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Moon Cakes are Back

Old school moon cakes. Left is a tube of 5 small round tau sar (red bean) moon cakes for MYR 4.60 nett. Right is animal shaped tau sar (red bean) moon cakes for MYR 3.70 nett. So one moon cake is cheaper than one slice of the marble cake I bought last Saturday from BC&S. They are both available with tau yong fillings (lotus paste mixed with mung beans fillings) but I prefer red bean so I bought red bean fillings for both from the neighbourhood sundry shop.

I went to the neighbourhood sundry shop because the elderly folks requested for a bottle of Yuen Chun Spiced Vinegar which is not sold in Aeon Big (I wonder why not sold there). They eat raw red onions soaked in this spiced vinegar for breakfast every day so one bottle will not last long. Price is MYR 6.60 nett for a big bottle. The sundry shop sold many types of moon cakes of those unknown brands.

I chose these two because I just want to have a taste of yesteryear.  They are made by the same company in Malacca so they should taste the same. Yesterday NuxV just wrote about her free premium moon cakes from GH so moon cakes season has officially started! Now I remember I have seen moon cakes being sold in a herbal shop in Midvalley Mall about 3 weeks ago so it has already started.

What a way to package the 5 small round moon cakes.

Both packs of moon cakes are made by Ittai Confectionery Sdn Bhd in Malacca.

Wheat Molasses is the magic ingredient for the skin of the moon cakes. This moon cake is safe to be eaten by everyone.

Animal shaped moon cakes - what! they even have koala bears and good luck cats! I don't believe it. I can only accept fish shaped moon cakes. Each moon cake costs MYR 0.925 nett.

I did not expect them to have so much red bean fillings as I like to eat thick doughy skins. Good bye cat moon cake as half landed in my tummy and the other half in his tummy.

Each round small moon cakes costs MYR 0.92 nett so they are more affordable than the animal shaped moon cakes. They are quite small as can be seen in the photo above against the size of a tea spoon. 

Now to test the taste of the small round moon cakes. As suspected, they taste exactly the same as the animal shaped moon cakes so unless you like animal shaped moon cakes for the animals, then it is more worth it to just buy these round small moon cakes. 

I like the taste because it reminds me of the taste of red bean moon cakes when I was 5 years old. I kept the remaining 7 moon cakes in the fridge to slowly savour daily.

These budget moon cakes are not as sweet as those premium moon cakes so I ate the above whole moon cake that I have cut into halves. The taste of the skin is authentic, exactly the same as those animal shaped moon cakes without any fillings and it is soft, not hard. In fact, a bit too soft until it is crumbly. I think I won't be buying any premium moon cakes this year apart from a box of 4 moon cakes with 4 yolks each from Oversea (Haewaytian).

*** Tuesday 18 Aug 2020 d154 ***

I got a request to buy curry noodles which I rejected due to it is messy to takeaway curry noodles. But when I was at the eatery, I thought ok, why not so I bought a pack of yellow noodles mix mee hoon curry noodles for MYR 7.50 nett and requested for the small pack of chili paste sambal to be excluded.

When I buy ckt, I will request for the cockles to be omitted but for this curry mee, what is curry mee without cockles so I just kept quiet. I also bought a pack of dry curry chicken wanton noodles for MYR 7 nett which I bought previously. Both packs of noodles are bought from Million Ocean coffee shop where the kway chap stall used to be (no longer there now).

This curry broth is very thick and rich, full of herbs and spices flavours, not that salty. It has many juicy cockles, long beans, pieces of poached chicken, pork rind, crunchy beansprout (nga choy) and tofu pok (beancurd puffs) so this is one of the better curry noodles around. He ate his share at 10.09 am.

10.49 am - and left this much for me. I thought he would eat more as he requested for it. There are about 8 juicy cockles in this meal and I ate four. I dread the thought of pouring the remaining curry broth down the sink into the drain so I poured all the curry broth into my tummy resulting in a burning tummy. Then I pour plain drinking water into the casserole pot and rinse the pot before drinking the water so that non of the curry red oil will go down my sink.

After that I was very full and did not eat any of the dry curry chicken wanton noodles at 2 pm so he finished the whole pack. At 5 pm, I ate massimo whole wheat bread 3 slices with 2 slices of 7 sprouted grains rainbow bread with half a navel orange for dinner while he ate bread, jam and peanut butter. So today is curry noodles day.

20 comments:

  1. I had curry noodles & ckt today sharing with my mum. Both bought frm SP night market for RM6.50 each. We requested the seller to omit the cockles on the curry noodles & ckt too. Your curry noodles have pork skin...ours don't have. Good tht ur spouse is still working from home so it is convenient to share meals. He is also fulltime wfh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, SP night market has resumed. I went there many many years ago and there were so many people until I never go there again. Ah both of you also don't want cockles for both curry Mee and ckt. Next time I will also do the same. Yes, you are right on the last part.

      Delete
  2. I remembered having fish shape mooncake when i was in primary school. I brought one to eat during the school recess and was too full after tht. After a few times i no longer bring food to school coz i hardly feel hungry in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last time the shape is only fish and oink oink if not mistaken. Now so many shapes. You must be a very skinny kid if you don't eat anything in primary school.

      Delete
    2. not skinny la, just average size. I eat like a monster for lunch.

      Delete
    3. You mean after school when you reached home, you eat a big lunch.

      Delete
  3. So cheap!!! I wonder if we can get any affordable ones this year. My sis gave me two that day - blogpost on them coming up real soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can find budget old school moon cakes like this at even lower price at your side. Your sister must have given you premium ones.

      Delete
  4. Can't believe that it will be Mooncake festival again real soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear! It's mooncake season again. I must go look for the ones with nuts hee..hee..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realized that moon cake season is back again. Most probably won't be buying. Love the ones with nuts but not good for my weak gums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I think your friends will give you some as gifts.

      Delete
  7. Premium mooncakes are over RM20 each... over-priced lah. The old-school ones have much thicker skin so can tell at a glance they're not premium haha. I'd always liked the animal-shaped mooncakes - recently managed to make a decent batch so won't be buying those any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thicker skins taste much nicer so no need premium ones but I will buying those with four yolks in one moon cake. You didn't write about making your animal shaped moon cakes. Did you make them with fillings or no fillings?

      Delete
    2. Got write about them: http://lilporcupine.blogspot.com/2020/05/mco-post-8.html. No fillings since that would be much tougher to make.

      Delete
    3. Ah, now I remember reading about it. My memory is so bad nowadays. Thanks for the link. No fillings the pastry is nice to eat too but must only eat one per day.

      Delete
  8. I like snowskin durian mooncakes and flaky yam mooncakes, not into those traditional ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your favourite mooncakes are super premium ones.

      Delete