Thursday, April 28, 2022

Spring Home Glutinous Rice Balls

On Thursday 28.apr.22, went out to buy food for ourselves for Thurs and Fri and for the Elderlies' lunch.

*** Frozen Tang Yuen ***

On Wednesday night, I suddenly feel like eating Glutinous Rice Balls but I don't know where to buy Glutinous Rice Balls like those mentioned here: http://muntalksfood.blogspot.com/2014/01/taro-peanuts-lotus-seeds.html that I ate in Taiwan.

Then on Thursday, I walked into the newly opened Mr. Farmer Grocer in Happy Garden to buy romaine lettuce and saw frozen glutinous rice balls in their freezer so I bought two different types of fillings to try. Tang Yuen is good enough to fill in the gap of my favourite Taiwan Glutinous Rice Balls.

12.28 noon - put the frozen Tang Yuen into hot boiling water and bring to boil again until all the Tang Yuen are floating in the boiling water.

Scoop them up and eat since I don't have a need for tong sui aka sweet syrupy water to eat them in.

I like the soft thick chewy skins. I prefer peanut fillings but he prefers the sesame fillings. Both fillings are nice.

The brand is Spring Home. I will definitely buy this brand again. Good quality 👍 at MYR 5.20 nett for each pack of 10 glutinous rice balls.

The frozen Tang Yuen are packaged nicely in a purpose-built plastic container with individual compartments.

*** Wawa Vege ***

I was instructed to buy romaine lettuce at about MYR 5 a pack but the lettuce are sold in about MYR 9 a pack so I bought Wawa vegetables MYR 5.50 instead.

Friday 29.apr.22 11.41 am - he boiled all the Wawa vegetables for our lunch and dinner.

*** Joy Cafe Kuchai Lama ***

3.30 pm - since we have 20 glutinous rice balls, I bought ginger syrup and red bean sweet soup for him to eat with the sesame glutinous rice balls.

Friday 1 pm - I ate this cold peanut paste from Thursday as my dessert after lunch. Delicious! 😋

Average price is about MYR 8.17 for each item. Worth it for a better eating experience.

*** Lucky Alley coffee shop ***

A portion of roast duck breast at MYR 7 and one braised egg and one braised tofu at MYR 1.5 each bought from Yuan Tastes Roast Chicken and Duck stall. The tofu is a bit sourish so I like the taste a lot.

Also bought a pack of braised pork and rice at MYR 10 from our regular stall. The ytf price has increased from MYR 1.80 per piece to MYR 2 per piece so I bought 4 brinjals ytf and 1 bitter gourd ytf at MYR 10 nett. We like the brinjal ytf from this stall because the brinjal cut is very thick but the Elderlies don't like them because due to too thick the brinjals didn't soak up the gravy thoroughly so they don't like this brinjal and I have to buy brinjal ytf from another shop for them as they like brinjal ytf pieces that have fully soaked up the gravy through and through.

*** Choy Kee coffee shop ***

Gave these two new gift bowls to the lady at the nasi lemak stall. Hope they are useful to her.

From this coffee shop:
1. Hot hainan coffee tea drink MYR 3
2. Two egg tarts and 1 kaya puff at MYR 2.30 each
3. 2 packs of 3jc noodles at MYR 7 each
4. 2 packs of sea food mihun at MYR 9 each. One pack is for the elderlies' lunch
5. For the Elderlies' lunch: 3 pieces of ccf, 1 bean curd sheet ytf, 2 brinjals ytf, 1 bitter gourd ytf, 1 bentong tofu puff ytf, 1 long tofu puff ytf and curry mix with brown gravy at MYR 15 nett.

Friday 29.apr.22 11.20 am - our lunch of 2 packs of 3jc mihun and kway teow bought on Thursday at MYR 7 each.

*** Golden Chopsticks coffee shop ***

11.50 am - our shared lunch of chap fan: a small portion of rice, lots of yin choy aka amaranth greens, red dates, mushrooms with Kai choy aka mustard leaves, eggs with long beans, pumpkin and I couldn't help myself when I saw dry fried nam Yue marinated chicken breast meat so I took two pieces. Total price is MYR 9 nett. Good price for so much vegetables. I ate both the nam Yue chicken pieces, very yummy 😋 - definitely my favourite way of cooking chicken breast meat.

Also bought char siew wanton noodles dry for his dinner which I didn't eat because I ate 9 glutinous rice balls so I was very full. He ate 7 glutinous rice balls only. We kept 4 glutinous rice balls for the next day. I can't believe that I always go out of control when I go out to buy takeaway food. 🤦🏻‍♀️

6 comments:

  1. I love the tong yuen with filling. I like them in ginger syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I bought ginger sweet potatoes tong sui.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes my man would bought this type of tang yuen home. He likes the peanut filling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe can check out more brands too. Kawan is common.

    If tofu is sourish, I'd worry it had gone a bit bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't specifically go look to go. So happens I saw so I buy. This brand is good enough, don't dare to try alternatives cos previously many years ago bought some frozen ones with thin skins that broke in the boiling water. Normally tofu is a bit sourish.

      Delete