Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Wendels

Still on Thu 8 Nov 2018 Day 3 in Taipei: 1.30 pm - we took a bus to Wendel's, a German bakery and bistro to buy bread. We tried to look for similar bread in German Bakeries in KL, found some but although the taste of those bread is good but they are still not comparable to the German bread in this bakery in Taipei. I guess have to fly to Germany to get better ones.

Address:  No. 28, Lane 260, Guangfu South Road, Da’an District, Taipei City, Taiwan 106

We bought a loaf of Vollkornbrot (whole grain bread) at TWD155 (about MYR 23) and half a loaf of sourdough olive walnut bread at TWD110 (about MYR 16). Here is an article which explains why Germany has the best bread. I love to eat dense heavy bread so these loaves of German bread are perfect for me. Every time I go Taipei, I will buy these German bread without fail. The Bistro part serves German dishes too as mentioned in this article.

We continued to walk in that area because the ice dessert shop we wanted to go to is nearby (500 m away). I took this photo because of the nice greenery. Now only I searched online to find out what this place is and it turned out to be a Japanese restaurant called 一味屋 and Google says the website is this. This area is full of buildings so I did not expect to see nice greenery like this.

Address:  No. 2, Lane 160, Yanji Street, Da’an District, Taipei City, Taiwan 106


1.40 pm - we reached the ice dessert shop - 北門鳳李冰 (literal translation - North Gate Pineapple Ice) - the name is on the red signboard on the right pillar of the entrance. It does not look like a shop, right?

Address:  No. 9, Alley 33, Lane 216, Section 4, Zhongxiao East Road, Da’an District, Taipei City, Taiwan 106

We ordered lychee sorbet, plum sorbet, pineapple sorbet and some other flavours which I don't remember. No artificial taste, all natural taste so they were very refreshing. After eating, we have to wash and discard the paper containers into the recycle bins placed outside the shop ourselves.

Just need to order the sorbet from the counter.

We saw this sign outside the shop: "I will bite, don't touch". Who?

Oh, a Ginger meow meow. So no touching and no disturbing the nap. Just take a photo quietly and move on.

Nice plants outside the shop which cannot be seen from the road.

Opposite the ice dessert shop is this nice frontage. I just took a photo of it because it looks nice. Turned out to be a restaurant called "南村" (the words on the wooden door) which required reservation. There are good and bad reviews about it online but more good than bad. From reading the reviews, I gather that the price is on the higher end.

Another view.

2.10 pm - Took this photo because of the minimalist design of putting a single tree in a slab of concrete. Did not manage to find out what place this is. Maybe one day when I have time to walk through Google Street View of this area.

2.40 pm - Took a bus to Taipei 101 and from there took the MRT back to our hotel stop at Shuang Lian MRT but before that I myself got down at another stop because I just cannot visit Taipei without visiting that eatery but everyone else says that they are still full so they wanted to go back to the hotel to rest because we booked another room just to rest before going to the airport at night so they want to check into the room to sleep. I was still full too so I decided to go to that eatery alone to buy takeaway back to the hotel.

*** Monday 6 July 2020 d111 ***

8.50 am - eggs and bacon. Eaten with bread that is not shown in this photo. Finally cleared all the bacon bought in April.

12.30 pm - ate these two angku kuih bought on Saturday at MYR 2.20 for one pack as lunch. The green one is tastier due to its pandan fragrance. Dinner was oats and nestum 3in1 chocolate flavour.

16 comments:

  1. My fav angku kuih. So r u planning to fly to german to get the bread?😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, not flying anymore so not going. 😅

      Delete
  2. The loaf of Vollkornbrot looks really rich and "full". :p would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this vollkorn bread is very dense and tasty.

      Delete
  3. That cat reminds me of Phong Hong's. Not a sound after the cat scratched her. Hope she's all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are Gin Gers. I think PH is just busy with work. She wrote that her ear healed nicely.

      Delete
  4. I like visiting Taiwan... wonder when I have the opportunity to go again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can go with your children or your sisters and your USA bil.

      Delete
  5. That German bread looks nice with topping of nuts. I also like this type of bread. That ginger cat reminds me of the one I have at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you can bake German bread at home since you are good in baking. Hehehehe, this is Girl Girl's Taiwan Cousin. ;D

      Delete
  6. The bread looks good with lots of nuts. The cat looks so alike PH's cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dense bread - very tasty. Must be a cousin of PH's cat

      Delete
  7. Pretty greenery pictures from Taiwan.

    I wouldn't know what the sign was saying about the cat... the rule is not to try to pet any animal you don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good and wise rule. Surprising to see so much greenery amongst the buildings.

      Delete
  8. Look all the greenery in your photos, that shop looks more like a house/apartment than a shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the above units are apartments.

      Delete