Thursday, July 23, 2020

Jellied Eel

All 4 photos below are copied from M. Manze fb or insta acc. Their website is at https://www.manze.co.uk/ where you can get lots of information about their shops and food.

Back in 2003, just before I return from UK to KL, I went to London to eat jellied eel. At that time, I did not take photos of my food so I have no photos of the jellied eel that I ate. I can't even remember which shop I went to but I sort of remember that it was some what located near Tower Bridge, London. To remind myself that I should go and eat jellied eel if I ever visit London in the future, I am keeping the name of the shop that is famous for jellied eel here. I am not sure whether I ate at this shop or not because my memory is that bad. The above photo are most of the food that M. Manze (The noted Eel and Pie Houses) sells - beef pie, mash, jellied eel, stewed eel in parsley gravy. This article is about eating eels in this shop.

Jellied Eels. I don't think I ate the eels this way.

Close up. I think I will try this dish too because it will be something like pork trotter jelly I believe.

I think I ate a dish like this - eels in liquor (this is just parsley gravy / sauce and it does not contain any alcohol despite being called liquor) with mash but instead of beef pie I think what I ate at that time was just a yorkshire pudding which tastes of strong lard. At that time, back in 2003, I enjoyed eating the eels in the parsley sauce with the mash and yorkshire pudding and I was alone in London at that time because my spouse was working so I don't have anyone else to ask which shop did I eat at.

If I ever visit London in the future, after eating at M. Manze, I will go and eat the jellied eels at Arment WJ & Son Pie, Mash & Eel House. I look at the photos and the list of their food here and I am drooling all over my laptop. Would you want to try the jellied eels?

*** the video below of the tenant with his fish is for PH and Nux V ***


*** Wednesday 22 July 2020 d127 ***

This is for Libby, McD Sg is having Banana Pie now! I have not tasted McD Banana Pie before so I hope that KL will have it too soon.

Around 10 am, I ate a pack of Munchy Lexus Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers. He went to the Insurance Company to run an errand and saw many people surrendering their life policies to get the cash benefits. I guess this is the time to make use of the cash benefits. He then went to Section 17, PJ and bought ckt (big portion at MYR 7.50 nett) and 2 packs of dry 3jc at MYR 6.50 nett each for our lunch 11.40 am from Wah Cheong coffee shop.

6.40 pm - shared dinner of taucu pork ribs rice bought on Saturday 18 July 2020 d123 with added siew yuk from the previous day and bok choy. We were supposed to eat this rice on Sunday 19 July 2020 d124 but somehow kept ending up eating other food until this day. Cookie Monster appears again at 4 pm and gobbles up 1 pack of Le-Mond Cheese Sandwich Crackers (2) and 1 pack of Julie Cheese Sandwich Biscuits (4). I hope this cookie monster won't appear so often to finish all my biscuits.

20 comments:

  1. I don't think I will want to eat eel is such a way...too...weird...and exotic! LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. If u ever visit London again i will tag along and try the jellied eel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, it is a deal! Both of us will check the time in London using our hp and no watches, yay! 😆

      Delete
  3. Ur tenant gave up the fake fish & attacked ur camera...LOL! I think the banana pie would taste like pisang goreng...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolx! Yes, he is a smart kiddo. 😻Now I am curious, maybe Libby will try and let us know whether or not it tastes like pisang goreng or not.

      Delete
  4. Oooo...char kway teow looks good. We love eel but not sure if we would want to try that thi sway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ckt is nice. I guess u prefer unagi Japanese cuisine.

      Delete
  5. So cute your tenant! He is disappointed it is not a real fish that he can eat hah..hah.. I like the last bit when he attacked the camera. LOL! I don't mind trying the jellied eel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq, tq! He knows he is cute, hehehe. Hahaha, the last bit is like the person holding the camera got eaten by him, lolx! Yay! You wanna join Nux V and I go London to eat this jellied Eel?

      Delete
  6. Jelly eel?? That is unusual or maybe we Asian not accustomed to cooking and eating. Eel, I like it either fried,or grilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you like unagi in Japanese restaurants, right?

      Delete
  7. Thanks for telling me abt the banana pie mun, i know abt it but yet to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. So you are not joining Nux V and I to London to try?

      Delete
  9. Jellied eel doesn't appeal to me. Interesting it's cut into fish steaks. I'm used to seeing the Japanese style where it's all filleted out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This jellied eel is something new to me. I googled about this and it seems like a traditional English food from the River Thames beneath the Tower Bridge! LOLOL

    I did walk the whole area around the spooky Tower Of London until I have vivid memories of the heavy traffic and crowds of tourists during the night and day. I would also try this if I see it in London, maybe next year.

    When I was a small kid, I remembered the weddings in Penang often served jellied dishes. It could be originated from the Hainanese Chefs who learnt many dishes from the British people who lived in Penang during the 19th and early 20th century. The jellied dishes have totally disappeared from the wedding menus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right about the eels from river Thames long ago but now the eels are imported. Oh, so next year u do plan to go London. Good! Locally jellied dishes seem to have disappeared but in Da Lu n Taiwan, jellied dishes are still popular especially jellied pork trotter skin.

      Delete