Monday, December 17, 2018

WG Alexis The Gardens

My friend wanted to eat western food for lunch and since Italiannies at The Gardens Mall is closed for renovation, I suggested Alexis to her and she agreed since both of us have never been there but have heard a lot about this restaurant that is well known for its delicious tiramisu cake.

Looking through the one-page menu, I decided on the lobster roll at MYR42++ (10% service charge and 6% SST = MYR 48.72 nett). The roll was not that big so I could finish it at one go. I also ate all the coleslaw with the mayonnaise vinegar dressing but kept the fries for dinner. The only other time that I ate a lobster roll was in 2016 at Pince & Pints, Bangsar Baru.

I like that I can detect chunks of lobster meat in the roll. The mayonnaise sauce tastes creamy and well seasoned with salt and pepper. As I usually don't eat mayonnaise, I guess I am not used to eating flavourful food because after this meal, I was very, very thirsty the whole day and drank many glasses of water to try to quench my thirst but this won't hold me back from trying lobster rolls at other places. I don't think we will be back here for our regular lunch unless it is for a celebration because the prices here are on the higher end as befitting this kind of place.

My friend ordered fish and chips at MYR39++ (MYR45.24). The menu states the fish as being dory but my friend said it is ok. I did not taste her fish so I cannot comment on it but I won't be ordering it to try as I have banned dory fish from my food list. She could not finish her fries so she requested it to be packed for her to take away which they obliged. Both of us did not order any drinks since two glasses of water are provided foc.

I noticed that the table next to us is having a plate of seared chunks of sashimi tuna (deep red in colour with deep brown seared lines), lots of haricot vert (french beans), kalamata olives and one soft boiled egg. I then looked up this dish on the menu to see that it is Salad Nicoise priced at about MYR34++ and I feel that I would not like a salad made up of mainly french beans because it does not look appetising. To me, a salad should consist of a variety of  leafy vegetables and not just one type of beans. Perhaps it is just my misconception. I then searched online for more information about Salad Nicoise and this is what I found.

Alexis at The Gardens Mall. They are all ready for Christmas - can you spot the Christmas tree? They were attentive and friendly so it was a pleasant visit despite the hole in our pockets.

16 comments:

  1. Looks like you are very happy with the lobster roll. Yes I can see the Christmas tree. Prices are a little steep but once in a while it is ok to pamper yourself especially when the service staff were attentive and friendly so it is worth the money spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think being very thirsty aftee a meal makes people happy,

      Delete
  2. Ya, it looks classy. If the food is good and the service is great, I would reserve such places for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't order the tiramisu cake? I love tiramisu cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I did not order it because there is no one to share it with me since my lunch friend does not eat cheese and tiramisu has mascarpone cheese. Furthermore, the tiramisu is coated with caramelized almonds so that there is an extra sweet crunch and I don't like crunchy cakes.

      Delete
  4. Very atas prices. If you can finish it in one sitting, that means it is to small for me hee..hee..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I guess the roll and the coleslaw will not be enough for you but with the fries, maybe you could be full with the fries.

      Delete
  5. Apologies, did not read carefully, I thought I read somewhere that you like the taste of the lobster roll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, no apologies are necessary. Yes in general I like the taste but not the immense thirst afterwards.

      Delete
  6. I am surprised that you had never tried Alexis before. I used to frequent their first outlet in Bangsar during the late 1990s. Their customer queue used to be a mile long!!
    They served the best Tiramisu cakes which I found out later that their cakes are supplied by Suchan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I myself am surprised why I never tried it despite knowing about it many years ago. I have eaten tiramisu at Suchan but didn't like the crunchy bits on top.

      Delete
  7. I have been there just once, for the famed tiramisu. I didn't enjoy it though - dunno if it was me or the cake.

    ReplyDelete