Monday, April 30, 2018

Zang Zang Bao

About a month ago, I walked past a neighbourhood bakery and noticed a banner outside its shop promoting its latest chocolate product with the name "Dirty Bun" and thought nothing much of it except to wonder - why name something edible dirty. Then a few days after that, I was in another bakery in the city center and saw their chocolate product being named "Dirty Bun" too. What's going on - I asked myself and turned to Google.

It was then I found these two links: here and here - seems like "Zang Zang Bao" (脏脏包 where Zang means Dirty and Bao means Bun) is popular in Beijing where people will queue for 3 hours just to buy it. Unfortunately or fortunately there is no queue here but that did not stop bakeries from jumping onto the bandwagon.

I have not tried it yet and don't think I will be trying it because I do not like the idea of chocolate powder falling all over the place when I eat this bun. From what I read, Zang Zang Bao is a chocolate croissant covered with chocolate powder and filled with chocolate custard.

Last weekend, while doing my weekly grocery shopping in Midvalley Mall, I took note that two other bakeries have joined the race but there was no queue at all.

Is the taste worth MYR 6.50 ?

This popular bakery is now featuring Zang Zang Bao as its latest product. I did not check its price.

This is the banner of the neighbourhood bakery that caught my attention initially.

Baker Loft which is located in the shop lot that used to house Sea Nian (2016) and  Yau Hao Fook (2014). It just opened mid or end  of last year (mid or end 2017) if I am not mistaken.

16 comments:

  1. Now some bakeries started selling this dirty bun over here too. And it isn't cheap some more. Yesterday I saw it in one for price of over RM6. One place started it first and not mistaken it is a dirty croissant and priced over RM 8 or more.

    I haven't get myself dirty eating this yet although tempted to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try, do write about it, ok? Thanks. MYR 8 for one is quite expensive.

      Delete
  2. I also checked since it's the 'in' thing, but not attracted by the description also. The messy part doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let SE and JE try it. I guess they would like to get messy! :D

      Delete
    2. No no then tough job to clean them up!

      Delete
  3. They've that here. Nothing to get excited about, according to a friend who tried, so I never bothered to check it out. One of those passing trends, I guess. I remember a time when everyone was crazy about those Mexican coffee buns. We still have those at the bakeries - looking quite forlorn on the shelves, their time has passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean those coffee buns like those sold by RotiBoy here? Still selling well by RotiBoy.

      Delete
  4. Dirty buns do not sound appealing! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At SG Breadtalk, they call it Messy Buns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah so it is in Sg too but with a nicer name.

      Delete
  6. Let me check if the bakery near my area has this hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the bakeries are always facing tough competitions. The bakers would be so creative until produce scary looking buns. I remembered in Manila there was a bakery that sold lots of artistic buns from the graveyards too.

    ReplyDelete