Tuesday, April 19, 2016

T2014 Big Bing

One day when we were walking back to our budget inn, we saw this thick spring onion pancake being sold and since I like to eat doughy food, I bought one to take back to our room to snack on and to share with my friends.

This is called 蔥花千層大餅 (Cōnghuā qiān céng dà bǐng) which literally means Spring Onion Thousand Layers Big Biscuit. It is like a big and thick pancake. I bought just a section and they cut it up into smaller pieces for me. As can be seen from the photos, it has layers and layers of "flour" with spring onions in between the layers. It is doughy but not so oily although you can see the oil in the "bing" layers but because there are so many layers, I don't feel that it is oily when I ate it as there are more layers than the sping onion oil.

This is a common food item in Taiwan and there are many road side stalls selling this bing.

The bag says they make their bing with less oil, less salt, less sugar.
Outer layer crispy and inner layers soft, very tasty!

This is the little shop
哈爾濱陳蔥花千層大餅
中正區重慶南路一段83號

28 comments:

  1. Spring onion snack looked yummy to me. Oily or not, it must be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like that too. I would love it like that. The thin ones here are sometimes so hard, no...not crispy, hard - not nice at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spring onion pancake looks good.. One thing about me, I like savoury crepes/pancake, like ham+cheese crepes.. I don't fancy the usual sweet ones.. So I think I will like this..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can eat one whole big bing! :D

      Delete
  4. something new that I have not seen here..doughy stuff is as good as rice, can fill up our hungry tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this one, I had tried it before when I was in Taiwan, it was near to where I stay too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Er... if is layered, then you won't feel much doughy about it, will you? It would be more flaky and crispy, no? I would like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. the inner layers are soft and doughy as can be seen in the photo above. Why do you think just because there are many layers, the layers would be flaky and crispy inside? This is not baked at super high heat and the layers are not super thin like puff pastry which is like what you described.

      Delete
  7. Looks like something I will like. I have bookmarked the recipe for ages but yet to try hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please write about it after you have cooked this, ok?

      Delete
  8. Savoury pancake with spring onion will be fine with me. I think I will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will also buy and try! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure will since you are the foodie queen! :D

      Delete
  10. I wonder if it has strong spring onion aftertaste after eating this? I like snacks like such but if it comes with chili dip lagi better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that strong, just a bit of spring onion taste in mouth. Tasty enough without the chili dip.

      Delete
  11. This is an interesting food which I have yet to try. I believe I will like it as it has spring onion!! Yums!! I salute your food feasting experience in Taiwan which made me realize how boring I am with trying new food in foreign places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like to eat spring onions, you will definitely like this! :)

      Delete
  12. I love eating doughy stuffs too. This looks so delicious. I imagine it to taste like our local cekodok sayur. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is more doughy than cekodok sayur. I have yet to try cekodok sayur but I assume cekodok sayur are deep fried. This is not deep fried.

      Delete
  13. How interesting! I've never seen such a thick pancake before. I would never have imagined that's what it looks like inside the packet. The wrapper makes me think of a traditional biscuit, or bing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many roadside stalls selling this in Taiwan.

      Delete