Sunday, April 10, 2016

T2014 Su Hung Restaurant

Most Taiwan Tour packages would include a visit to Din Tai Fung, a restaurant famous for their xiao long bao. Due to the long queue at Din Tai Fung, locals would prefer to go to Su Hung Restaurant 蘇杭 instead. Knowing this, we also went to Su Hung in Taipei to have our meals.

酸汤鱼 (Suān tāng yú) - Fish in Sour Soup - TWD 580 (price in 2014). About MYR 70 now. Very appetising because it is sourish and a bit spicy. The fish has been deboned so no bones at all, just slices of fish meat, very nice. We ordered this soup for both the times we ate at this restaurant.

 Squid ink xiao long bao - TWD150 (about MYR18). They look very black but the colour is all natural colour from the squid ink.

So black until we cannot see the fillings. The squid ink did not have a distinctive taste.

Promo brochure

 九層塔小籠湯包 - Jiǔcéngtǎ xiǎo lóng tāng bāo -  Xiao Long Bao with Basil Leaves and Pork Meat fillings. 九層塔 literally means nine level tower and is referring to the Basil Leaves. TWD150. The basil leaves are also used in the bao skin.

 I like the strong taste of the basil leaves. Not for those who do not like the taste of basil.

Promo for the Basil Leaves Xiao Long Bao.


 Petola or Luffa Xiao Long Bao. TWD150. From the photos, one can tell that there is soup in the xiao long bao.

Can see the petola or luffa and prawn fillings here. We can eat many of this and not get satiated because the taste is light. Compare this to the luffa xiao long bao that I had in Din Tai Fung, Taipei 101 during my trip to Taipei before this trip.

上海砂鍋菜飯 - - Shanghai Casserole Vegetable Rice - TWD160 (about MYR19). The crunchy vegetable bits added another texture to the otherwise soft rice. Very tasty.

 小鱼山蘇 - Xiǎo yú shān sū - this vegetable is bird's nest ferns (Asplenium nidus). The leaves were stir fried with little fishes which I think is a type of anchovy. TWD180 (about MYR22). The leaves were tender as I believe they only use the young leaves of the ferns.

 醉雞 - Zuì jī - Drunken Chicken -  TWD240 which is about MYR29 now.


 芝麻酒釀湯圓 - Zhīma jiǔniàng tāngyuán - Sesame glutinous rice balls (tang yuan) in fermented rice wine. TWD120 (about MYR15.50). The fermented rice wine is quite sweet. We can taste the natural alcohol content in it and there were bits of fermented rice in the wine. The wine is the product of the natural fermentation of the rice.

The price (2014) seems reasonable.

32 comments:

  1. I certainly would go some place else if there is a long queue. That fish looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fish soup is nice. I would like to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The suan yu tang looks so appetizing, I would like to try that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Din Tai Fung, Malaysia also can eat lah... good that you did not go and queue in the name of "trying to see the Taiwan version really better or not".

    Since you said the fish is de-boned, I will try it! I will also try the tang yuan with wine! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my 6th visit to Taiwan so I have eaten at Din Tai Fung at Taipei 101 on my previous trips (I went early so no queue):

      http://muntalksfood.blogspot.my/2014/01/luffa.html

      So when are you going to Taiwan to try the fish and jiu niang?

      Delete
  5. didn't know the colour from the squids have got nutrition value, when think of squid I think of cholesterol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The squid ink siew loong pao is very very interesting, I wonder how they taste like..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squid ink does not have any distinctive taste that I can remember. I think maybe need to just drink the ink direct from the squid to get the exact taste.

      Delete
  7. Ahh....sour fish soup. I should like that. And this 小鱼山蘇 - I think they occassionally have it in the market here. Very big leaves and nice. I didn't know the name of it but it looks very much the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have bird's nest ferns (paku langsuir) at home in my garden but I have not seen them being sold in the markets here. Maybe pasar tani here will have them.

      Delete
  8. I probably won't enjoy the XLB with basil leaves as I don't like the taste of it (that's why I don't enjoy 3-cup chicken too). I've not seen or had bird's nest ferns before and your drunken chicken looks much darker in colour than what PH had in DTF...was the wine taste strong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basil has a very strong and distinctive taste that even my spouse does not like it. The taste of the wine is just right to make the drunken chicken very tasty.

      Delete
  9. I would want to try a bit of everything. The fish soup and the cute little pao especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go in a large group so can order more dishes to try a bit of everything. Organise a group to go Taiwan?

      Delete
  10. I like everything up there! Especially the drunken chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Taiwan is really a food haven! I would love to try one of each including the black squid dumpling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like so many colors of siu long bao, but indeed the black color one is the most attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wah...I feel like wanting to go there and feast on these now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh that Shanghai Vege Rice reminds me of the short-short fat-fat rice grains I was eating back when I was working in Shanghai. I was craving for Malaysian rice then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! you can differentiate the taste between different type of rice? I can't. As long as the rice is cooked until soft then I will like it.

      Delete
  15. How interesting!

    I actually have a lot of stuff I haven't posted up too, I should also do it like you and have a series with the date I travelled on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, please do. It would be interesting to see the food that you ate.

      Delete