Thursday, January 23, 2020

SeaSalt Blue IC n WG MaliCai

For lunch, we visited Er Lou Cafe at Section 17, PJ again. As I have mentioned here that I will order the fried noodles malicai if I eat here again, this time I did order it. Fried noodles Mali Cai at MYR 12.90+ and top up MYR 1.50+ for any drink from the menu so I selected barley lime without any sugar so the total price for my lunch is MYR 15.84 nett.

The fried noodles Mali Cai is on the oily and salty with a tinge of sweet side. It reminded me of the Blood Cockles / See Ham fried noodles that I used to eat when young. Mali Cai  (马尼菜) is Sauropus androgynus, also known as star gooseberry, or sweet leaf, cekur manis, sayur manis, or cangkuk manis. I like to eat Mali Cai and the pieces of eggs in this dish but would prefer the noodles to be less salty. I kept half the noodles for dinner.

My friend's Char Siew Thin Noodles (large portion) at MYR 11.90+ (MYR 13.09 nett).

Both my friends top up MYR 1.50+ to add on a drink from their drink menu so the total price is MYR 45.30 nett which means on average, it costs MYR 15.10 nett per person to have a main meal plus a drink at this eatery.

*** Ice cream ***

Sea Salt Blue and Strawberry ice cream from Family Mart at MYR 2.90 nett each. I like the Strawberry ice cream because it has a tinge of sour taste to it whereas for the sea salt blue ice cream, I cannot detect any special taste - just sweet but my friends say that it tastes like soap due to having  bicarbonate which leads to the baking soda soapy taste. I have no idea whether or not there are baking soda in the blue ice cream but as I have a high tolerance to the taste of baking soda, I could not detect it.

Strawberry ic from McD. It does not have a tinge of sour taste so it is not as tasty as the strawberry ice cream from Family Mart. The price is MYR 2 nett each but the McD app offers two strawberry ice cream for MYR 3 nett so it means MYR 1.50 nett each which is a good deal so I have been eating just too many McD strawberry ic with the promo from the hp app.

14 comments:

  1. We call that mani cai here. Thought they said they can't get this over there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's sayur manis but for some reasons, some races will drop the s...so it becomes mani cai.

      Delete
    2. Here, it is more common to see Kau Kee - 九杞 (wolfberry leaves) that is put in pan mee soup.

      Delete
    3. but I cannot tell the difference between Kau Kee and Mali Cai.

      Delete
  2. seems like u like strawberry ic so much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only because for mcd, it is the only flavour having this promo of two ic at MYR 3 nett.

      Delete
  3. I must try the sea salt ice cream. I heard that it is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes please go try and see what you can detect.

      Delete
  4. Sea salt blue ic is something new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to read more before knowing what 'malicai" was! Ok finally got it. I wouldn't have thought it'd be a featured ingredient since there isn't all that much taste to it.

    I haven't used the strawberry deal yet. Not sure if my outlet has this flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. malicai is not the same as kau kee vegetable which is often used in pan mee here. I think all mcd branches have the strawberry ic.

      Delete