Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Yong Kang Beef Noodle

Still on Thu 8 Nov 2018 Day 3 in Taipei - 3 pm - I switched MRT lines to get to my favourite beef noodles eatery in Taipei while everyone went back to the hotel to check into another room to rest. Yong Kang Beef Noodle (永康牛肉麵) - nearest MRT station is Dong Men, take exit 4. I wrote about this eatery for my trips to Taipei in 2014 and 2018.

Address: No. 17, Lane 31, Section 2, Jinshan South Rd, Da’an District, Taipei City, Taiwan 106.

Ordered takeaway a small portion of noodles with beef shank and beef tendon at TWD 260 (about MYR 38 nett). Many people would say that there are better beef noodles in Taipei at a lower price and I would agree about the price part but not on the taste part because every one has their own preference on the taste. For me, this is it.

This photo was taken at 5 pm: everyone in the room shared this small portion of beef noodle. Very tasty.

After buying the beef noodle, I took the MRT back to Shuang Lian MRT station (our hotel stop) and walked to my favourite ice dessert shop - 雙連圓仔湯 (Shuāng lián yuán zǐ tāng) and reached the shop at 3.44 pm. I wrote about this shop a few times, starting from 2014. I asked my family to join me here but all of them said they were still full so I went to eat alone because when I am in Taipei, I must eat this ice dessert.

My order is always the same - plain shaved ice with no sugar and 3 toppings which must be lotus seeds, yam cubes and boiled peanuts at TWD 100 (about MYR 15). Mmmmm, so delicious, so refreshing and so satisfying.

I can't write many chinese words but I know how to write "without sugar" - 無糖

They have renovated their shop so the shop look a bit different from the photos in 2014.

Shop front - looks different from 2014.

4.30 pm - I walked back to the hotel and on the way back, I bought this pack of coffee - Mandheling and Brazil Blend from Cama Cafe at TWD 300 (about MYR 44) for my friend because I seldom drink coffee.

If you can read Chinese, this is for you to read.

*** Tuesday 7 July 2020 d112 *** 

Dine in 5 - Ooops, over ordered for two pax at 11.30 am for an early lunch at Prosperity Bowl, SS2, PJ. All the dishes are on a sharing basis though some dishes are ordered by him and some by me. Food tastes good especially the pumpkin dessert.

His order: 
White Curry mee (photo below) - MYR 9 nett.
Pork balls (small portion - 5 balls - 3jc style pork balls) - MYR 5 nett.
Cold white coffee - MYR 3 nett.

My order:
Dry mee hoon mixed with hor fun (small portion) - MYR 2.50 nett.
One portion steamed chicken breast meat - MYR 7.50 nett.

White curry mee (MYR 9 nett) with bean curd puffs, cockles, long bean, blood cubes, shredded chicken and beansprout.

I mixed all the curry gravy into my bowl of dry meehoon mixed hor fun noodles. Not spicy in the mouth but spicy in the tummy.

We intended to buy takeaway but after seeing the eatery with only one table occupied, we decided to dine in instead and got carried away and ordered too many dishes for two pax. At 12 noon, more people started to dine in for lunch so we quickly finish all our food and went to buy takeaway for dinner and next day's meals from another shop.

We also bought one portion of steamed chicken breast meat (MYR 7.50 nett) and a packet of char siew rice at MYR 14.50 nett and dropped them off at my friend's place for her lunch.

Walked to the back row of shops, to this Aunty Melon eatery and bought food as takeaways. I have eaten at this place once in Feb 2020.

There was only one table occupied - a mother with two boys about 8 years old dining in.

We ordered:
Bittergourd ribs with rice at MYR 11 nett (I ate this dish last time).
Ginger duck with rice at MYR 13 nett.
Pepper pork stomach soup at MYR 7 nett.
Containers at MYR 1 nett so total price is MYR 32 nett.

6.20 pm - for dinner we shared the pork stomach pepper soup with the two portions of rice (because they put two portions of rice into one container) and the bitter gourd ribs. Kept the ginger duck for the next day. The above is the portion kept for me.

I scooped the rice into the bitter gourd ribs container to soak up all the gravy. This is an exception case of me eating rice for dinner. In the morning at 9.30 am, I ate 3 slices of gardenia wholemeal bread with kaya. I was hungry at 11 pm due to eating too much food during the day but I just drink water and go to sleep.
Takeaway food from prosperity bowl: 1 portion chicken breast meat at MYR 7.50 nett and 1 portion of char siew (BBQ pork) rice at MYR 14.50 nett. The rice is the chicken rice so it is tasty on its own without the sauce from the char siew. The char siew is 80% fats because I believe it is pork belly. As for the chicken breast meat, I was told that it was quite tough. I find that surprising because the chicken breast meat I ate in the shop itself was not tough. I guess each chicken has different meat texture.

I bought takeaway for my friend after reading this article dated 2 July 2014 that was hanging on the wall.

19 comments:

  1. Ooo....11pm asleep lio....good nite!😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet la but no longer hungry now after drinking water.

      Delete
  2. Ur lunch looks like a post-MCO feast! I prefer white curry noodle coz its soupy. Both of u purposely go to ss2 to buy food? Or u are back to office already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went to do an errand nearby so stopped there for lunch. Still work from home. Hahahaha, ya cos long time didn't dine in for lunch.

      Delete
  3. I prefer beef noodles in soup, clear soup. Curry mee looks good and the curry in your rice set too. Nice place, that Prosperity Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have clear soup for beef noodles too but I prefer this so I always eat this. Ya, prosperity bowl is quite a nice place.

      Delete
  4. Not so crazy about the cuisine. Sometime I think their food like noodle or meats are over seasoned. Too salty or sweet to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cannot generalized like that. They have many ching ching food too like the soup from the dumplings shop in the previous posts. You must be talking about certain shops food that is overseasoned. Not all shops are like that. I don't like too flavourful food and there are many shops in Taiwan serving natural tasting food that I like which I must eat when I visit Taipei.

      Delete
  5. Both the white curry mee and dry curry chicken meehoon look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite nice but the white curry Mee is not as nice as Penang white curry Mee.

      Delete
  6. I would love to eat the beef noodles. That's probably the only Taiwanese meal that I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried this beef noodle at Din Tai Fung yet? You would like the spicy pork ribs (fen zhen rou) from this yong Kang eatery too.

      Delete
  7. The TW beef noodles looks like something I would like.

    That's a long list of food items for you and hubby from SS2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, yes cos we like hungry people just released from stay-at-home so over ordered lor. 😅 Have you eaten Din Tai Fung beef noodles? This beef noodles is like that but much better and tastier.

      Delete
    2. No haven't tried at DTF. I actually haven't been there many years already. If go also would probably order pork chop fried rice.

      Delete
    3. Next time if you go, can order this beef noodle to try.

      Delete
  8. Too bad I cannot enjoy any beef. The beef noodle looks really good. You guys should have ordered more right? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went alone to takeaway so I can only carry one pack.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete