Sunday, July 19, 2020

Angku Angku

Weekends are takeaway days so on Saturday 18 July 2020 d123, I went crazy again and bought too many angku kuih at MYR 1 nett each. My favourite angku kuih is from Aroma Nyonya at MYR 2.20 nett a pack with two angku kuihs inside but this time I decided to give this independent seller at a local coffee shop (at the other end of the block of shops where Sweet Heng is located) a try.

I ate one quarter of each type to test the taste. Can't make them stand on their own so they are all piled up leaning against each other. This angku is very much bigger than aroma nyonya's angku so the glutinous rice flour skin is thicker.

Colour and fillings:
1. Grey - sesame
2. Yellow - mung bean
3. Pink - red bean
4. White - savoury jicama
5. Red - Coconut
6. Red - Peanuts
7. Deep green - no fillings, this kuih is made from chu yap (a type of leaves)

After trying all the above, I still prefer Aroma Nyonya's angku because I don't  want to eat so much of the thick skins. All the fillings taste acceptable.

I bought ten for MYR 10 nett. Two of yellow, white and grey. Pink, red, red and deep green one each. Luckily my family helped me to finish them else I would be suffering trying to finish all of them. Serves me right for losing control and buying so many.

Takeaway food:
1. Pasembor with one whole hard boiled egg and no sotong on special request - MYR 7 nett.
2. Ckt duck eggs - MYR 8 nett.
3. Pork horfun Mee Hoon - MYR 6.5 nett.
4. Pork trotter wanton noodles - MYR 7.5 nett for the next day breakfast
5. Pork ribs taucu rice - MYR 9 nett for next day lunch
6. Large HK steamed prawn ccf - MYR 9 nett.
7. One vegetables bao - MYR 2 nett.
8. 7 packs of Aroma Nyonya kuihs at MYR 2.2 nett. Total 15.4
9. 10 angku at MYR 10 nett.


Big portion of HK prawns ccf MYR 9 nett. I ate it without any sauce.

22 comments:

  1. I must say that Angku Kueh is my top favourite Nyonya Kuehs. I am impressed by your detailed list of the 7 types as I had no idea what those fillings are besides my favourite peanuts and mung beans. I also dislike eating those with too thick skins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you like those with peanuts fillings too.

      Delete
  2. Ur Saturday takeaways seem the same every week though with slight difference. Overall u hav spent $73.5 for the takeaways. My sis recently went to Swee Hing to try ckt and bought egg tarts frm a stall there. I have not go there for many years. Heard tht the prawn noodles stall is good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we go to the same places to buy our food every weekend. Thanks for adding up the total. Yes I like the prawn noodles at sweet Heng too. So did your sister like the ckt there?

      Delete
  3. Must remember the name, Aroma Nyonya. I love nyonya kuehs, love angku!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can always check from here.😊 They are sold in many eateries in KL.

      Delete
  4. Angku kueh. At RM1, this is considered quite cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont get to eat angku kueh often, my mom only buys them when praying and offering to gods. I like peanut filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You prefer peanut fillings more than mung bean fillings? After praying, will you all eat the Ang KU?

      Delete
    2. Yes, we will eat the angku aft praying. Yes i prefer peanut filling more than mung bean.

      Delete
    3. Oh, so you prefer peanut fillings than mung bean. Good to eat the angku after prayers, no wastage.

      Delete
  6. I never tried so many flavoirs of angku kueh. Usually eat the mung beans, red beans and peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just two more fillings only - sesame and coconut.

      Delete
  7. So colourful! That's a good variety of fillings. Pan-frying them so they get a little crispy would be nice also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, you are truly a foodie to pan fry them for better texture. I guess thick skins after pan fried would taste better.

      Delete
    2. It was something my mother used to do.

      Delete
  8. I never had angku kueh but looks so tasty. Vibrant colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love angku kuih but not with thick skin.

    ReplyDelete