Friday, July 17, 2020

McD Black Forest Pie

Strawberry with chocolate is the perfect combination, never mind the custard because the taste of strawberry and chocolate would cover up the taste of creamy custard. This is confirmed by the fact that he ate the whole pie without detecting any creamy taste which he cannot stand.

Photo taken without flash. This limited edition pie was launched on 14 July 2020 Tue and costs MYR 3.80 nett when bought over the counter but costs MYR 4.50 nett when ordered through McD Delivery. I did not know about this difference in price until I bought this pie over the counter and found that the price is lower than listed in the McDelivery app.

Since I know I will like the taste of this pie, how many pies did I buy? If you want to try this pie, just know that the strawberry tastes like the usual strawberry jam and not sweet fresh strawberries. It is not that sweet because the chocolate crust is a bit savoury and the strawberry has a tiny tinge of sourness.

The chocolate pie crust has a tinge of savoury taste. I did not order mcFlurry Black Forest because I know it will be very, very sweet with the strawberry sauce and chocolate.

I also bought a medium set of spicy korean beef burger at MYR 15.99 nett which includes a criss cut fries and a frozen Fanta strawberry drink which I changed to a bottle of mineral water because I am wearing a mask so I am not going to drink it there and then. 

Oooo, so messy. The beef patty is thicker than the usual beef patty in Big Mac and it has a strong beef taste which I like. I don't like sauce in general but the highlight of this beef burger is supposed to be the sauce so I can't request for no sauce because if I do that, it is better that I buy another type of burger and not this burger. 

The sauce is very flavourful, it is like a spicy mayo. It is not very spicy because my mouth did not feel like it is burning. I can taste the melted cheese which I like but I wish that the cheese wasn't melted because I would like to see the cheese. The beef patty does not have charred sides which is fine with me but most people would like their grilled beef patty to be slightly charred. 

Another view. I ate one pie and one burger at 3.20 pm and that is enough to last me till the next day.

As I was requested to buy two apple pies, I found it is better to buy mix and match promo to get the two apple pies so for MYR 6.50 nett each, I chose two mix and match sets:
1. Nasi Lemak McD with Apple Pie
2. One piece fried chicken drumstick with Apple Pie
I also bought 3 pieces of regular Fried Chicken at MYR 14.99 nett and got 2 pieces of wings and 1 piece of chicken breast. 

*** Thursday 16 July 2020 d121 ***


7.55 am - Breakfast for two pax to share, the last brick of Hicomi noodles bought on Friday 1 May 2020 d45 with Nam Yee Muk Yee Zhar Yuk bought on Saturday 11 July 2020 d116. Added in little gem lettuce.

9.30 am - my portion of the above breakfast. The noodles soak up all the Nam Yee gravy so it is very tasty. Where I can buy this noodle again I wonder. I did not see it in Aeon.

2.40 pm - tried one piece of this Slai O'lai pineapple biscuit gifted to us from a friend - for each set of biscuit, one biscuit has a hole in the middle exposing the jam and the other biscuit does not have a hole. Other than pineapple, there is also strawberry jam and blueberry jam. The pineapple jam is soft and the biscuit is kind of milky so he tried one and said no thank you to the remaining so I have to eat them all. There are 16 pieces for MYR 2.50 nett with 50 cents off on promo at Aeon Big Supermarket. This biscuit is made in Indonesia. I also bought the small pineapple biscuits from Aeon Supermarket by weight so this bag costs MYR 4.60 nett.

So on this day, I only ate the noodles, one pineapple biscuit, one McD pie and one beef burger and that is more than enough for me.

I went to Family Mart to look for their White Peach Soft Serve as mentioned by Stacy, only to find that it has been replaced by this Creme Brulee Soft Serve. I stared at the poster for a while and then decided that I don't want to remove the mask that I am wearing just to eat this soft serve so I walked away without buying a soft serve. It would be interesting to see how this soft serve is being prepared. Does the staff sprinkle caramel sugar on the ice cream and then torch the sugar? Or just sprinkle the caramel sugar without torching it? I found a u tub showing how it is done. No torching. Just sprinkle grey sugar on top and then the sugar will turn brown when melted on the ice cream. Don't think I will get to try this since I do not want to remove the mask to eat this soft serve on the go. The above photo is copied from Family Mart's fb.

21 comments:

  1. Would love to try the black forest pie. :) Yummy.

    Cannot eat beef o. Otherwise it sure looks like a huge portion of scrumptious burger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U can eat the chicken version instead. Your children would like the black forest pie if you allow them to eat sweet pies.

      Delete
  2. I saw somebody sharing this ad from Family Mart. I wish we had that here - I sure would go and give it a try. I love creme brulee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hopefully family mart expand its business to your place.

      Delete
  3. I think this is the same spicy burger I had 3 years ago https://utopiastaging.blogspot.com/search?q=korean+spicy+burger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, it sounds the same. I just reread your post. Wah, you are so tough on McD. They are just trying to make it more interesting for their regulars to try new flavours. Hahahaha, imagine them putting some kimchi into the beef burger, I will eat but STP and Nancy won't eat cos not many people like kimchi.

      Delete
  4. In McD I will be calculating various combinations to see which is more value for money! Complicated by having the McD app as well which will have various combo deals.

    The black forest pie doesn't look too appealing to me. So far my fav is bubur chacha pie. Taro also since it tastes similar.

    Oh Family mart changed flavour of ice cream already. Funny thing is, until now I have not tried the matcha flavour coz always getting the 'special' flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, quite complicated to calculate but since I don't want drinks and ice cream, I usually don't go for those sets but choose the mix and match.

      If you don't like strawberry jam taste like I do, then don't bother with this pie. I have eaten mcd taro pie but I think I missed out the bubur chacha pie.

      Will you go try this creme brulee ice cream? If you can eat two ice creams then u can buy matcha also.

      Delete
    2. Gosh no, I find that one FM ice-cream is already too filling since I would typically have that after lunch. Usually I'm sharing with the kids (at times just stealing a few licks) so let them choose the flavour.

      Delete
    3. I think SE and JE would like this creme brulee.

      Delete
  5. So far I have tried any of the McD's pies. I have tried the matcha flavour and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean family mart matcha ice cream? Eating McD's pies are just for fun.

      Delete
  6. Hmmm..shall I try the pie? hee..hee..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But u don't like strawberry sauce/jam the previous time so no need to try unless it is for fun. 😋😊

      Delete
  7. Interesting McD selection. Haven't tried any of it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if u find it fun to eat McD can go try else if have too high expectations will be disappointed.

      Delete
  8. Dont mind trying the black forest pie to see if i like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete