Monday, July 20, 2020

Cassava

Cassava is Ubi kayu. These two kuihs are made from Ubi kayu. Bingka Ubi vs Getuk Getuk. Which one do you prefer?

I like both, especially when the taste of the Ubi is strong and there are shreds of Ubi kayu in the kuih. These two packs are by Aroma Nyonya and costs MYR 2.20 nett per pack bought from Swee Heng coffee shop, Sri Petaling.

Here are the links for the recipe for both. Seems pretty straightforward to make for good cooks like PH:
https://whattocooktoday.com/bingka-ubi-kayu.html
https://whattocooktoday.com/getuk-singkong-gula-merah.html

This recipe is another online recipe showing step by step how to make Getuk Getuk Ubi and it has enticing photos of this kuih. Once you look at it, I am sure you will want to make this kuih at home.

*** Sunday 19 July 2020 d124 ***

7.30 am - not my breakfast of Mee Hoon, egg, ham, bok choy cooked in the previous day's soup from the takeaway pork hor fun Mee Hoon.

10.45 am - my breakfast of one whole pack of 60g tiger biscuits with 13 pieces and one pack of 4 munchy butter crackers sandwich.

1 pm - was in the vicinity of this Tuck Tuck Tei coffee shop so bought takeaway lunch from here.

Had to walk through these tables to get to the hawker stall to place my takeaway orders.

Siew yuk bittergourd rice at MYR 8.50 nett.

Finally got my ying yong hor fun Mee Hoon wat tan hor at MYR 8 nett from a hawker stall in Tuck Tuck Tei coffee shop, Taman Desa.

1.45 pm - my portion of wat tan hor lunch. The wok hei was so strong that after 4 hours I still have wok hei burps.


Yam puff and salted egg yolk lotus pastry at MYR 2.60 nett each.

Crispy batter but oily. Yam paste inside tastes good but the minced meat is too salty due to the choy poh bits inside.

2 Chicken siew bao and 2 pork siew bao at MYR 1.80 nett each. I also bought 3 salted egg yolk lotus pastry and 3 yam puffs so total price is MYR 22.80 nett.

The siew baos are bought from Sing Kee Kitchen coffee shop, taman desa.

The siew bao cabinet.

We couldn't finish this rice so we kept this remaining amount in the fridge for our next day's meal. After eating the wat tan hor, one yam puff and one salted egg yolk lotus pastry, I was very full so I didn't eat any dinner after 3 pm.

16 comments:

  1. Long time didnt eat yam puff...The not-your-breakfast looks hearty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you like meehoon, ham and egg so it is hearty, yes, especially cooked in the remaining pork broth from the previous day. No soup was wasted. Yam puff I guess is too oily for you so that's why you didn't eat it for a long time.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen the kuihs you mentioned in the beginning: Bingka Ubi and Getuk Getuk. Would love to try them. Don't think they sell them here.

    I am craving for pork siew bao right now after reading your post. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think should have in Melaka, just need to look for them. But since your wife is a good cook, can ask her to make following recipes online. Should be very easy for her. Can go buy siew bao to eat today as snacks.

      Delete
  3. I love that! Chiew chu koi! I wonder where I can get a nice one here, can't remember now. Yam puff, we do not have good ones here - don't like what we have, the skin not fibrous like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chiew chu koi I search online means tapioca kuih. Online says tapioca is made from cassava starch. I think you should be able to get good yam puff in dim sum restaurants at your side.

      Delete
  4. I can't decide which I like better, so I want both th ebingka ubi and getuk-getuk hee..hee..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here so I bought both to eat 😁 😋😋😋😋 me so greedy.

      Delete
  5. Wow. So crowded in the shop!!

    Good that you tapaued.

    I like the yam puff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can say all the tables are occupied. Ya, decided to still takeaway food instead of dining in. This yam puff if not that salty would be tasty but it is too salty.

      Delete
  6. I like both the cassava kuih and I also like yam puff & salted egg yolk pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd prefer the savoury pastries over the ubi kuihs. Haven't seen before the type with thick dark top like in your picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you mean the Getuk Getuk. The melaka corner stall in one utama sells aroma nyonya kuih so maybe they sell this there. I know where definitely have, the shop that sells many types of kuih opposite the pet shop in one u new wing. The name is little cravings I think.

      Delete
    2. Normally not so thick like that.

      Delete
    3. Oh, so you have seen those Getuk Getuk but not so thick coconut brown layer.

      Delete