Monday, May 6, 2019

WG Vegetarian Bak Chang

Set Lunch at Medifoods, SS2, PJ with dishes of my choice at MYR 13.80 nett with no mayo on the raw julienned cabbage. The foc papaya and jicama is to be shared by 3 pax.

FOC Medifoods Tofu Fa with a minimum nett spend of RM15 from now to 31 Aug 2019 using a specific payment card. My friend said that it was the smoothest and tastiest tofu fa she has ever eaten.

The next day, my friends ate lunch at Medifoods again so this time I bought a vegetarian glutinous rice dumpling for MYR 5.30 nett.

From outside, it looks like the usual dumplings but without the meat and fatty bits. I expect it to have goat peas, chestnuts and mushrooms which it does have.

To my surprise, there is a piece of "fake" meat - tastes ok. The glutinous rice is soft so I like it and the taste is more on the sweet side - like sweet "mui choy". Next time I may try the vegetarian glutinous rice nyonya dumplings and also the vegetarian millet nyonya dumplings.

The taufu fa is out of stock so my friend need to go to Medifoods again this week to claim it.

The ingredients for this vegetarian dumpling that I bought. The name is misleading as although it is a savoury dumpling but it is not that salty.

18 comments:

  1. The non-vegetarian ones here have hardly any meat, not any that is visible to the naked eye...and they do not come cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here they have large chunks of meat and fats for one that costs about 9 ringgit.

      Delete
  2. If I come across vegetarian bak chang, I would like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder bms organics sells them or not.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, the dumpling season is back! Yum! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still like meat in my dumpling. Or the most is ground nuts in it, like the Hakka chang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom encounter braised peanuts in dumplings.

      Delete
  5. Vegetarian bak chang is new to me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, now you make me crave for bak chang. Need to get some from SS2. My hubby always buy from there but I dont know exactly where.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love dumplings and I would love to try the vegetarian dumplings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe vegetarian shops in Ipoh would be selling them too.

      Delete
  8. This is my first time hearing vegetarian bak chang. As long as it has chestnuts, I am happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chestnuts are so delicious and yes, this vegetarian chung has chestnuts.

      Delete
  9. Maybe the 'salty' is just to differentiate it from 'sweet', rather than how much salt there is in there. :)

    ReplyDelete