Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Budget Mooncakes

I wanted to try the moon cakes sold at a neighbourhood coffee shop to see how the taste differs from "branded" moon cakes.

The words "豆沙" (dou sha) on the moon cake means bean paste. This Red Bean moon cake costs MYR5.20 nett.

I find the moon cake to be a bit sticky and soft but the taste is good enough and there are some kuaci (melon seeds) in the red bean paste fillings. Sweet but not overly sweet. I can only eat 1/8 piece per day to avoid feeling satiated from the sweetness.

"双黃蓮蓉" on this moon cake means double yolk lotus paste. It costs MYR7.50 nett. The skin is so soft tht you can see from the above photo that one leaf is "crushed".

Double Yolk so each Quadrant has a bit of yolk. Once again, I find the taste acceptable, not overly sweet. For this one, I can eat one quarter a day without being satiated. In a nutshell, if you don't mind not having beautiful boxes and you are not looking for moon cakes with special fillings/healthy moon cakes but you just want to eat moon cakes, then these budget moon cakes would fit the bill.

22 comments:

  1. Wow these mooncakes look really pretty, though I am not really into mooncakes, I prefer those with double yolk to balance off the sweetness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like double yolk so no need to eat so much sweet lotus paste.

      Delete
  2. So very cheap! I wish I could get those here. The non-branded ones available here are not great, far from it but I will eat just to preserve the tradition instead of buying those ultra-expensive ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is good and bad one I think. This year I tried the mooncakes from a long established mooncake manufacturer, branded ones and homemade one. I am not so ceazy about mooncakes but if there is any, I dont mind having some.

    Happy Mid-Autumn to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to meet a mooncake crazy person.

      Delete
  4. I am hunting for cheap clearance sale - moon cakes to buy the all-nuts flavour which I love the most. I would freeze them and eat over 6 months!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my mother likes the all nuts mooncakes also. yes can freeze them to eat for 1 year also can.

      Delete
  5. i'm not into mooncakes....had too much in the office when some suppliers gave to the company...Now I m having terrible sore throat...of those sweetness and heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aiyo how many did you eat?

      Delete
    2. I believe you. uncountable means really a lot until you get sore throat.

      Delete
  6. Wahhh.. very cheap leh... my kids like "budget" mooncakes.. from young, I bought those pasar malam or market type for them.. hahahaa..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the taste is ok too if we are not too particular about it.

      Delete
  7. I am not really particular about the brand names. Its been a few years since I last bought mooncakes but friends and neighbours have blessed us with some mooncakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. generous friends and neighbours you got there.

      Delete
  8. My mum would point out that the skin on these budget ones are a lot thicker... which is what I'm doing here haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mooncakes skin are thin so a lot thicker is still quite thin ya? :)

      Delete
    2. If you look at the pricey ones, the skin is really thin. Takes much more skill to get them like that.

      Delete
  9. From my point of view, these budget mooncakes are often not as fine as those branded ones; coarser in texture. They can also be more oily and much sweeter but if you don't compare and cincai la, wanna eat mooncake but don't wanna burn a hole in your pocket, these will do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wah you are indeed an expert in mooncakes! thumbs up.

      Delete