Saturday, May 9, 2020

Ice Plant


1.17 pm - Finally, I bought a pack of 冰菜 Ice Plant (Mesembryanthemum crystallinum) to try (8 May 2020 Friday d52). According to wiki, it is a plant native to Africa. It is called ice plant or crystalline ice plant because it is covered by glistening water vesicles as can be seen in the photo above. The tip of the shoots is purplish in colour.

Back in 20 April 2019 (saturday), my friend sent me this banner and told me that this ice plant is sold at Imperial White Coffee, Kuchai Lama but she did not ask for the price. You can read about the Medicinal use of Ice Plant at this website (http://www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net/). Then I was reminded about it when I read Nancy's article.

As I wanted to find out its taste, I ate it just like that after washing it. It is a bit salty, succulent and crunchy. Here is an article that tells us about the 5 ways to eat this ice plant. 

11.46 am - As my neighbour does not want to go to supermarkets in malls anymore due to the long queues, I was asked to collect her order for her because she has to go to the office to work so I add on a few of my items - a pack of ice plants at MYR 7 nett and CH Strawberries at MYR 25 nett for two packs.

1.46 pm - Washed the strawberries - I like the taste of sour strawberries.

11.41 am - 2 boxes of vegetables package B (MYR 50 nett each) and my 3 packs of add-ons. She bought it from VE Fresh who uses Lalamove so one can track the status. Delivery fee is MYR 10 nett. 

*** 8 May 2020 Friday d52 ***

Photo timestamp: 10.17 am. Started my day with a red apple.

11.23 am - Oh good, the bananas are now yellow. I gave this bunch of bananas away because two persons cannot eat two bunches of bananas in time before they start to turn dark.

11.22 am - The 2nd bunch of bananas are also yellow now. I ate a few and they are sweet!

3.22 pm - ate my lunch of blanched cabbage with nothing else. Very naturally sweet. Not-me cannot stomach the taste of blanched cabbage with nothing else, so he stir fried his portion with garlic (the garlic dip from BKT bought on Friday 1 May 2020 d45 - 7 days idf) and one lap cheong (bought from the CKT seller on Sunday 3 May 2020 d46). I was busy with something else so did not manage to take a photo of his cabbage dish. He thought I am pretending to like the naturally sweet cabbage just because he could not accept the taste but I am not. I like the naturally sweet taste of blanched cabbage with nothing else (no salt, no oil, no seasoning). Just for the record, both of us like to eat raw julienned cabbage which are often served as the accompanying dish to Tonkatsu.

11.21 am - Had to eat all the cabbage (bought on Sunday 19 April 2020 d33 - 19 days in the fridge) to make room for other food.

3.51 pm - ate 2 frozen cheddar bay biscuits (19 days idf) to catch up on the clearing food schedule so 3 more to go.

4.04 pm - I ate 1 Texas tender (15 days idf) with one slice of bread so 2 more tenders to go.

5.41 pm - not-my-dinner of cooked frozen dumplings (sui gao) with lots of khan choy celery leaves in the soup. We managed to keep to the fruits schedule and ate 2 apples, 2 oranges and a few bananas on this day. Did not eat any banana cake so fall behind schedule for this.

22 comments:

  1. My fav is the sui gao. I like warm soupy food as comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bananas!!! I sure would want to try the veg if I see it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure got people sell cos popular now.

      Delete
  3. I havent try the ice plant. I still have some pears, apples in the fridge. Going to finish up the bananas and grapes before they go spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyday eat some sure can finish. Add oil! :)

      Delete
  4. Strawberries are lovely but most of the time sour unless if they are the Korean ones. I also don't mind sour if I am eating with something sweet like granola when I have it with overnight oats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sour strawberries with sweet ice cream is d besta!

      Delete
  5. I have tried korean strawberries before. Hard to get sweet ones, usually are sour. For fruits, my favourites are mangoes, jackfruits and watermelon. I dont mind red dragon fruit and bananas too. But i dislike papaya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those expensive imported strawberries usually are sweet I believe. Why do you dislike papaya?

      Delete
    2. It has a taste which i didnt like, dont know how to describe the taste.

      Delete
    3. The taste like glue taste?

      Delete
  6. I didn't see ice plant since MCO started. I don't like sour strawberries. I like bananas and red juicy and crunchy apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sour strawberries is best eaten with sweet ice cream! Usually where do you see ice plants being sold?

      Delete
  7. Wow! Thanks heaps for sharing about this Ice Plant (Mesembryanthemum Crystallinum). I have eaten it once long time ago but I cannot remember the place now. I only remember it was served in a glass bowl with ice water and supposed to be an appetizer. If I am not wrong, it was served on the breakfast buffet table of a hotel in Fukuoka or Hiroshima or Edinburgh. LOLOL. Let me think over slowly. I remembered it was nice, crunchy and unique. I always learn something new from you.

    I don't know the reasons I dislike cabbage and my tortoise also followed. Hahaha. I would only scoop them at the mamak shop cos I would ask them to pour lots of curry gravy over it. Most mamak shops would fry cabbage with little other veggies. My wife chided me for being very fussy when comes to eating veggies.

    I think we seldom have the sweetest imported fruits here due to their early harvesting for overseas market. I enjoyed all the sweetest fruits in England last year. In Korea, their strawberries are so huge like my palm size. I prefer smaller ones to pop into my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for thanking and for dropping by. :) Wow! You globe trotter have eaten ice plant way before us when you are globe trotting. Hahaha, so you definitely cannot stomach the taste of blanched cabbages as well but do you eat raw cabbages served with tonkatsu? You have been to Japan so many times so surely you have eaten raw cabbages served with their famous tonkatsu. Expensive imported strawberries are usually sweet but expensive. Support ch strawberries! Help support local products! Eat with sweet ice cream!

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I ate them raw but I often pushed them to my wife's plate. She happily eats all veggies like a goat. Coleslaw is okay for me as they shredded the mixed veggies in mayonnaise to sweeten it.

      I just read your post again and realised CH Strawberries is Cameron Highlands! LOL No wonder it is sour. I wonder what's the reason we cannot grow them sweet???

      Delete
    3. Ah so u eat raw cabbages a bit and give your wife. Hahaha ya you got ch correctly. I think to get them sweet maybe they water them with syrup water? Lolx. I am not sure, just wondering only.

      Delete
  8. Ice plant has become much more affordable compared to when it was first introduced in restaurants.

    You two are so cute with your schedules to clear up food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MYR 7 nett for 100g is ok price. Was it very expensive in restaurants? Hahaha, have to have a schedule or some food may be forgotten in the fridge.

      Delete
    2. Initially it was expensive, you only got a small portion. And when it became available in supermarkets, it was very expensive as well. Luckily it could be planted in Camerons.

      Delete
    3. Good that it is affordable now.

      Delete