Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Vegetarian Nyonya Chung

This is the Vegetarian Nyonya Chang that I bought from Michelle Soo for MYR 7 nett each, received on Monday 11 May 2020 d55, kept frozen in the freezer and steamed for 30 minutes to enjoy for dinner at 6.26 pm on 17 May 2020 Sunday d61. The glutinous rice is evenly cooked and very smooth and soft, very fragrant.

The vegetarian fillings are made of hard tofu I believe and it is the sweetest due to more candied wintermelon used when compared to the Chicken Nyonya Chang and Pork Nyonya Chang. I detected a few soy beans from taucu beanpaste in the fillings. This is great news for vegetarians because they can now enjoy Nyonya Chang. If they have efficient and effective taste buds, they may even detect the spices used which are pepper and coriander spice powder used for the fillings.

This is a Chicken Nyonya Chang - it looks rather the same as the Vegetarian Nyonya Chang so vegetarians are also getting the same quality of Nyonya Chang from Michelle Soo.

*** 18 May 2020 Monday d62 ***

Saw this good deal on 9 May 2020 Saturday d53 so bought it for MYR 497.02 nett inclusive of delivery fees and only received it on 18 May 2020 Monday d62. There may be other promos online that are more affordable but we did not search for them because this price is good enough.

It includes this cook book with many recipes but we will just use it to cook soup.

*** 19 May 2020 Tuesday d63 ***

Start to use the pot - to cook just rice. lolx!

This pack of 1kg rice has been in the fridge for a few years so it is finally cleared now.

6.40 pm - Dinner of dumplings and little gem lettuce.

My share of 4 dumplings and some lettuce. Today I finished eating the IDC Musang King Ice Cream that has been in my freezer since Saturday 25 April 2020 d39 (24 days in the freezer). I also ate 8 of 10 Texas Chicken Honey Butter so 2 remaining now and will be cleared on Thursday.

16 comments:

  1. got new cooker! Looking fwd to see ur homecooked soup😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you did online shopping not only for food but for cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good that got vegetarian changs too so i can eat them on my meatless days too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if I should grab one of those cookers too - a cousin in Kuching bought one online MCO time, so pleased with it. Your pan looks very nice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The pan is tefal. If you want hard food to be quickly soften then this pressure cooker is for you.

      Delete
  5. When I next order the chang, I must also include the vegetarian ones to try. That cooker must be what Americans refer to as instant pot. What? Your rice was in the fridge for a few years? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, u plan to order again soon? They are the sweetest if you don't mind. Yes some call them instant pots. Hahahaha, lolx, that bag of rice was in the fridge dunno for how many years already. Finally cleared. So happy about it.

      Delete
  6. Wah new toy for your kitchen! Must be a long time since the last one. :)

    Poor 1kg of rice haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right. I can't even remember when was the last kitchen appliance that we bought.

      Delete
  7. When you mentioned the similarity of the Chicken and Vegetarian Nyonya Chang, it struck my earlier theory I shared with my wife. Some veterans told me how they brought down their costs by mixing with substitute ingredients. Just like some Assam Laksa sellers in Penang added chicken feed to thicken their fish gravies!!! So I told my wife that she should blend shredded coconut & chicken breasts into her pork meat. She protested No! LOLOL

    You just invested into a costly cooker pot. It looks beautiful to me and exciting for your chef to experiment it. Add many ingredients into the rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, you want to frighten me ah - with chicken feed to thicken their fish gravies - means they let humans eat chicken feed? Luckily your wife has integrity and did not do as you suggested. Oh, this pot is not costly at all when compared to a cast iron Le Creuset casserole pot. We will just cook simple soup.

      Delete
  8. I like the taste of Nyonya dumplings. You have really good and sensitive taste buds to be able to taste the different ingredients in the dumplings. That is a good pot to add to your kitchen appliances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked very carefully at the ingredients and pick them out one by one to taste. lolx!

      Delete