Saturday, May 2, 2020

Long wait

This lunch was eaten on the Sunday 15 March 2020 before stay-at-home time. There were many people in this eatery, Yang Kee at OUG so we had to wait for about 30 minutes for our meal. The servers were wearing masks which is good. We ordered the exact dishes we ate on Sunday 23 February 2020 but without the drink. A small mix beef noodles at MYR 9 nett and a small radish beef noodles at MYR 10.50 nett. Total MYR 19.50 nett. The portion is small enough for me to finish a bowl of noodles at one seating on my own. Now to eat this, have to order using those food delivery service app.

Moving on to my time stamped daily food lists.

*** Friday 1 May 2020 d45 ***

9.36 am - Since we bought big soft buns last Saturday 25 April 2020 d39, this is Not-My-Breakfast of the 5 of 5 soft bun with luncheon meat and egg. I believe this big soft bun is the same bun used for Ham, Luncheon Meat, Egg Apollo Bun at Imperial White Coffee, Kuchai Lama.

Who likes to put ketchup too?

10.30 am My Breakfast of a fried egg with raw tomatoes and 2 slices of frozen sprouted 7-grain rainbow bread. I was surprised to find that the frozen bread is soft even though I did not thaw it.

12.30 noon I finished the curry potatoes bought on Sunday 26 April 2020 d40 with a slice of soft white bread to soak up the gravy.

2 pm Cut the only fruit that is still here from the Fruit Box received on Friday 24 April 2020 d38 which is a guava. While I cut, I ate some pieces of guava including the middle part with some seeds.

4.20 pm I am very worried when I know that next Monday May 4 is an important day because it seems the majority of people can go back to work starting on that day so both of us went out in one car which is now allowed to go pick up takeaway bak kut teh that we paid for using Grab for tomorrow's lunch. The bak kut teh shop is 600 meters from our place and I could have walked there but it looks like it is going to rain so better to take the car. Then I noticed someone selling food in a nearby coffee shop so I went to take a look and saw Bak Chang selling for MYR 6.50 nett each so I bought 2 to try. Not that oily which I like but is a bit too salty for my liking but still tasty because some people will say that it is flavourful and that it is not salty. It has goat peas aka black eyed beans, mushroom, salted egg yolk and a piece of lean pork meat in it.

I like that they put in a piece of lean pork meat and there are no fatty pork parts in this bak chang.

From the same Bak Chang seller, I also bought these food items for a total of MYR 30 nett. These two egg tarts cost MYR 2.50 nett each and the two of us have one each. The taste is acceptable.

I also bought one kaya puff for MYR 2 nett which is now in my fridge.

5 mung beans or green beans pastry in a roll. I am not sure how much it costs because I have forgotten its price when the seller told me. This item and the noodles below cost MYR 10 nett.
***updated on 3 May 2020 d47 Sunday - went again and bought 2 more and asked for the price - it is MYR 4 nett***


5 pm - I like to eat mung beans pastry so I always buy them when I see them. I have bought different brand mung beans pastry from Medifoods, PJ and Organic Express, PJ and many other shops. Huat Huat KouPing has many other products as shown on its website. The mung bean pastry tastes more sweet than savoury and I ate two at one go at 5 pm. I could eat all 5 but I stop myself and keep 3 for tomorrow.

I also bought this pack of 10 bricks of Hicomi Dry noodles. I am not sure how much it is because I have forgotten it when the seller told me but I know that this pack of noodles and the mung bean pastry cost MYR 10 nett. 
***updated on 3 May 2020 d47 Sunday - went again and bought 2 more and asked for the price of the salted green bean pastry - it is MYR 4 nett which means this pack of noodles costs MYR 6 nett***

The wheat flour noodles look like this.

I like to eat red bean buns and this brand Sweetie (6 buns at MYR 3.40 nett) is one that I often buy. The taste is on par if not better than both Gardenia and Mighty White red bean buns. I bought this pack of red bean buns at SpeedMart which I also drop by on the same trip to get some household items such as dish washing liquid Sunlight Grapefruit flavour MYR 5.69 nett, Nescafe Gold sticks 20 for MYR 9.50 nett, one Gardenia green packet wholemeal bread at MYR 3.30 nett, a tub of Pringles sweet and sour cream, a tub of Mr Potato Tomato flavoured crisps, and a pack of paper towel at MYR 1 nett.

*** Thursday 30 April 2020 d44 ***

8.22 am - My breakfast of shared Nyonya Chang and Oyster Chang from Kim Wah bought on Saturday 25 April 2020 d39 so all Bak Chang from Kim Wah have been cleared from the fridge.

The oyster chang on the left tastes of the sea. The Nyonya chang is not quite the authentic sweet and blue nyonya chang but still tastes good. I was told it is sweet but upon eating it, it was not as sweet as I thought it would be so it is tasty to me as I love to eat soft glutinous rice.

10.09 am - Ate two segments of cold, raw cucumber to clear them from the fridge and to cleanse my palate.

12.40 noon - for lunch, we shared this pan of instant noodles, big bok choy, roast duck (bought from SRK Noodles on Saturday 18 April 2020 d32 so the roast duck is in the fridge for 12 days and still taste good.

Big bok choy, roast duck, wolfberries aka goji soup tastes like choy kon soup.

1 pm - my portion of instant noodles, two pieces of duck meat and some big bok choy (received on Sunday 19 April 2020 d33 so the vege is in the fridge for 11 days). Satisfying lunch due to the taste and also because it cleared two items from the fridge.

16 comments:

  1. I am actually unhappy that many could go back to office next Monday. I don't like to stay at home for so long but we are not safe and free from this pandemic issues yet. It is still growing the numbers by trickles.

    I just support the idea of 2 in the car rides and beyond 10km! Yay! I took my wife to Kim Wah to see the bak changs. The other day their Nyonya Bak Chang was quite tasteless and empty inside. I bought one again today because I wanted take photos. We were so surprised that it tasted quite good suddenly! I think they have poor QC... Hahaha

    There seems to be a shortage for Nescafe Gold and Moccona now. It's empty on supermarket shelves in this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am unhappy and worried too. Worried that what happened in Hokkaido may happen here. Need to go round two stay-at-home. So are you going back office to work on May 4?

      Good that you are willing to give Kim wah Chang a 2nd Chance. Poor QC is quite common nowadays cos everyone is worried so their minds are elsewhere. Good that it tastes quite nice.

      Yes I support the two in car too as I couldn't go out since I don't drive. Nice to go out two by two, right?

      I want to buy moccona soon. Hopefully they restock. I guess ppl read pH n u drinking them so go buy too.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to May 4th, hopefully, everyone will slowly get back on their feet again. These are hard times! I still have my chang too - maybe will steam for breakfast this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more day to go to May 4. I am worried ppl will go back to old life n what happened in Hokkaido will happen here and all of us have to do round two stay-at-home and medical folks frontliners will suffer.

      Hope you are enjoying your Changs. Are your wife and Melissa eating your Changs too?

      Delete
  3. Which stall/shop did u buy the bakchang with the lean pork meat? My parents would like them since they dislike fatty pork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim won. It is the coffee shop opposite Fatty Mok. That seller says he is open everyday.

      Delete
    2. Thx for info. Will check on it. I m so craving for bkt too. So one shot buy them all.

      Delete
    3. Hope you managed to buy them all at one go.

      Delete
  4. I too had bak chang. Finally got my craving for bak chang fixed. 4 more bak chang in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that you got your Bak Chang. At a very good price too!

      Delete
  5. My man loves to put ketchup in almost everything!! Noodles, sandwich. I am not so keen. Oysters chang?? I would like that. It has been a while I have a bak chang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oysters Chang has the added taste of the sea. Suitable for seafood lovers. You can make your own Bak Chang, right? Since you are a good cook.

      Delete
    2. Seems like you are eating a lot of bread and buns like me too during this mco. Very convenient and easy to eat right?

      I have not eaten oyster bak chang before.

      I put ketchup in my rice and eat it since i have no choice as i cant take chili and spicy food often.

      Delete
    3. I prefer bread n buns to rice so I eat bread and buns most of the time normally too. I like ketchup taste too, prefer it to chili. I could eat ketchup directly from its sachets provided by fast food chains too. Lolx!

      Delete
  6. Yeah was a shock to suddenly have the MCO weakened to CMCO. People were still thinking MCO might be extended and suddenly it's the opposite. Guess there was really no choice. Hopefully the next step won't be so sudden.

    Now, why don't you and not-you have the same breakfast food? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cos sometimes I don't like the food Not-Me have for breakfast, hahahaha! Sometimes we do share the same food. :p

      Delete