Monday, August 3, 2020

Bean Jr

 What to buy? The Parfait looks tasty.

So many delicious choices.

Bean Jr, a specialty Soy desserts eatery opened for business in Sri Petaling on Tuesday 28 July 2020. It shares a shop unit with a bakery. The HQ is in Kepong, also opened recently on 13 June 2020. The co-founder of Bean Jr, also co-founded Yugar Dessert House which opened in Plaza Arkadia, Desa Parkcity on 21 December 2019.

Hot tofufa with ginkgo, red beans and yam at MYR 10.80 nett. Very tasty, the tofufa is silkily smooth. This is my favourite dessert in this eatery.

Cold tofufa with grass jelly packed separately, peach gum, sweet potatoes balls, matcha balls, purple sweet potatoes balls, sesame balls and yam balls at MYR 16.80 nett. I like the peach gum the most in this dessert.

Didn't plan to buy this but I guess I didn't point to the item I want to buy accurately so the cashier keyed in this item. Longan, dates, sweet potatoes balls, matcha balls, peach gum, hot tofufa at MYR 12.80 nett.

I like the texture of peach gum a lot. It is like 胖大海 aka Boat sterculia seed (​Pang Da Hai).

I also added on glutinous rice balls at MYR 3 nett for two - one with peanuts fillings and one with sesame fillings. The syrup is packed separately - there is a choice of dark syrup, white syrup or ginger syrup. I chose dark syrup and ginger syrup but didn't need to use them as I like mildly sweet desserts. The toppings have syrup which gives the tofufa a mild sweetness.

Two orders because of the inaccurate pointing.

Cold soy drink without sugar at MYR 4.90 nett. I like this soy drink better than Soylab soy drink.

This is the packaging.

Unlike Tono at Uptown which uses a special equipment to make their soy drinks, this eatery uses a stone grinder. The above photo is sourced from Bean Jr insta. You can view the machine at Tono in PH's article here.

On another day, bought 2 items to try and rebuy 2 items.

Mango tofufa and Soy Cha Cha.

The mango, pomelo and mini taro balls are packed separately.

The pomelo, mango, sago, cold tofufa and shaved soy ice taste so good together. This combination works so well! MYR 16.80 nett.

Soy Cha Cha at MYR 15.80 nett with yam, sweet potatoes, sago, mini taro balls, shaved ice and tofufa. A healthy version of bubur Cha Cha without the santan.

I bought my favourite dessert of red bean, yam, ginkgo tofufa and store them in a casserole container in the fridge to be eaten the next day.

Bought another portion of just cold tofufa. I must say I am impressed by the items on the menu of this new soy dessert eatery. It is an alternative for vegetarians to enjoy tasty desserts. So instead of drinking coffee at Starbucks or drinking boba milk tea or drinking purple rice yogurt, there is now a choice to eat tofufa desserts. I like the tofufa desserts here better than Snowflake.

*** Sunday 2 August 2020 d138 ***

7.51 am - breakfast, two to share the previous day's wanton Mee.

10.24 am - my portion of wanton Mee.

2.30 pm - chicken rice MYR 8.50 nett with 30 cents for the packaging. Bought from teochew fishball house eatery. Also bought Mee pok at MYR 8.50 nett for the next day.

2.47 pm - my share of the chicken rice.

6.09 pm - my share of lomaikai MYR 4 nett (sang yuk bao MYR 2 nett).



20 comments:

  1. I had lo mai kai on Sat for lunch. The soy bean dessert shop sharing a shop with a bakery which i hav no idea when it exists. I think tht bakery is new too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lomaikai is tasty! The shop just opened on Tuesday. It is next to bank Islam. The bakery is opened on same day I believe.

      Delete
  2. Wow they use a stone grinder? Isn't that like very old school? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the one with red bean and yam the most but i dont eat ginkgo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't you eat ginkgo? They are supposed to be good for health.

      Delete
    2. Different people different taste is correct. I like to eat ginkgo because of its taste.

      Delete
  4. Australian? I was expecting it to be Taiwanese like those bubble tea shops. I sure would love to try some on their menu, the mango ones especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is for the bakery only. Nothing Australian about the soy dessert shop. The mango soy dessert works very well, took me by surprise.

      Delete
  5. All the desserts look delicious. Too bad not in Ipoh, I would go and try every item. I like peach gum too. There are 2 loh mai kai in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe next time when you are in KL, you can go try. There is a good soy dessert shop in Petaling street called soybean factory which serves savoury tofufa if you are staying there. Peach gum texture is so nice, you must like the texture too, to like them. Lor Mai Kai is tasty too. Are yours frozen in the fridge?

      Delete
  6. I see that Bean Jr has more varieties of soy desserts. All look good and I wish that I could visit and try the various toppings. Did you find the soy drink better because of the taste or the consistency? The Soylab one I find can be a bit thin at times but I prefer the taste compared to Tono's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better in terms of consistency and also taste. The Soylab soy drink is way too smooth, too slippery and thick for me, also like it has a lot of emulsifier. This bean Jr soy drink consistency is more like normal soy drink and it tastes authentic like not many additives added. I think you can order delivery from their kepong branch cos they may be having some delivery promotion via grabfood.

      Delete
  7. Jazzed-up tofu fa... I rely on my trusty market stall for bean-related stuff. RM4 for a big packet of soybean drink hehe. I'm not a very big fan and haven't bought the tofu fa for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but they are sure tasty and instead of buying Starbucks coffee, can buy these tofufa instead.

      Delete
    2. Wow! Caffeine really works for you!

      Delete