Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Char Yuk Muk Yee Rice

1.53 pm - Lunch for Sunday 14 June 2020 d89. This deep fried pork belly cooked with cloud ear fungus rice is sold by a hawker stall in Lucky Alley coffee shop in Jalan Lazat as early as 8 o'clock in the morning so we always buy a pack to takeaway for lunch when we are in the vicinity. One pack can last for two meals and costs only MYR 7 nett. This is supposed to be Hakka cuisine and the deep fried pork belly is supposed to be marinated in Nam Yee (fermented red beancurd made with red yeast rice 紅糟). Do you cook this dish at home?

My portion - one scoop of rice, one pork belly, one cloud fungus.

Inside the pack of Yang Shen Xu (Ginseng root) are two bundles of dēng xīn căo (灯心草) - supposed to clear Heat also.

At 11.30 am on Sunday 14 June 2020 d89, I ate the above yam cake and lo mai fan direct from the fridge. The lo mai fan is still soft so it is ok.

*** Monday 15 June 2020 d90 ***

9.35 am - my breakfast of pepper sausages from a few days ago and steamed pumpkin from the fridge.
9 am - breakfast is ready by the cook of the house - pepper sausage, scrambled eggs with red and green capsicums.

2.52 pm - my late lunch or early dinner is supposed to be just the small bowl of noodles with luncheon meat with vege but because we wanted to clear off the remaining broth from the yee mee pork noodles (bought on Saturday), I ate another brick of noodles in that broth so I was very, very full.

Despite being very, very full, it did not stop me from finishing the RT Pastry Pandan Layer cake as dessert. Yums Yums! Very soft and eggy taste.

4.57 pm - the big bone soup with old cucumber and carrots is ready but I did not drink it. What a big  bone. I wonder why he bought big bones to cook soup instead of just normal ribs. Later, I just ate half an orange and half a bowl of red bean tong sui bought on Saturday and called it a day.

16 comments:

  1. I like char yuk muk yee dish alot. We hav this during CNY and occasionally too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so your mother cooks this dish for special occasions.

      Delete
  2. Never seen that dēng xīn căo (灯心草) before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your local TCM sinseh shops would have them.

      Delete
  3. I cooked nam yue pork belly. My family likes it.

    I have a big bone in freezer, my man bought it. I still thinking what soup to cook and use it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, your husband bought a big bone as well. You could cook bone broth as stock broth. Your nam yue pork belly must be delicious!

      Delete
  4. I have eaten this nam yue deep fried pork before and I love it. The pepper sausage with scrambled eggs and red/green capsicums makes for a colorful meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you cooked deep-fried nam yue pork before? Reana Claire's friend would like the colourful dish.

      Delete
  5. Long time I did not eat the char chu yuk.. it is a Hakka dish, I think.. very appetizing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to have pepper sausage. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like char yuk mok yee. We have finished the black pepper sausage and need to stock some in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have one pack of four in the freezer. I am sure you can cook char yuk mok Yee very well too.

      Delete
  8. LOL at your portion of ONE scoop of rice, ONE piece of pork and ONE cloud fungus....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolx! I just want to taste it only so one item of each.

      Delete