Monday, May 8, 2017

Otak Otak

We ordered the Baba Plate again (MYR20++ or MYR23.30 nett) because we wanted to eat fish but unlike the previous order, this time the fish was a bit burnt so it did not taste as good as before.

Then I spotted otak-otak (steamed fish and spices paste) on the menu and  thought of STP and his brain post so I placed an order for it as I have not eaten one for a long time. Although the colour of it does not look very appetising but the taste is nice - creamy (coconut milk) with the fragrance of various spices MYR8++ (MYR9.35 nett). On my latest trip to this eatery, this item has been removed from the menu.

Here you can see the piece of fish (white).

We planned to pay our bill by card and they only accept card payment when the bill is above MYR50 so we ordered another two items to achieve this amount. Lor Bak Platter - MYR11++ (MYR12.80 nett) and a cup of hot cham (coffee mixed with tea) at MYR5++ (MYR5.85 nett). The Lor Bak and the deep fried bean curds are very crispy and we just love the taste of the century egg.

Goal of total bill above MYR50 has been reached with a total of MYR51.30 nett.

18 comments:

  1. Is that Wu Xiang in the Lor Bak Platter?

    I just had Otak that day and I love it!

    Indeed the colour of the Otak here does not look very inviting but good that it tastes nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i think wu xiang or ngor hiong is lor bak. i like otak otak if it has a lot of fish meat inside.

      Delete
  2. Looks can be deceiving, it's the taste that matters. I would love tol try that otak otak - I think this is more to the Penang version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh is it penang version? all i know is that it is nyonya version.

      Delete
  3. Nice presentation. I would order that myself as I love fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting looking meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a 'sumptuous looking' Baba plate meal! long time never hav otak otak...I only eat when it is served in front of me...(I mean I wouldn't purposely go buy/eat otak otak). Maybe bcoz it is so packed of spices, it isn't my kind of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but it is not those hot and spicy, spicy. it is not hot just use a lot of different spices.

      Delete
  6. The Baba Plate looks loaded and that would be my choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the is a nyonya plate dish in the menu too.

      Delete
  7. Baba plate looks delicious. I love Otak-otak and I am craving for it. Long time have eaten lobak. Mouth watering post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is there a regular place where you go for your otak otak?

      Delete
  8. I love to eat Baba & Nyonya food anytime. I agree that the fish looks delicious inside the otak. I will find time to go to Jaya to eat this. I just realised today that after my father's demise, I have not been frequenting the shopping malls on weekly basis as I had to push him on wheel chair back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the otak otak is no longer on their menu.

      Delete
  9. Haha you didn't have enough cash? Good thing you did enjoy the additional order.

    ReplyDelete