Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Cor Blimey

I have been searching for authentic British fish and chips in KL since forever so when Cor Blimey opened in Jan 2016 and billed itself as "giving locals a taste of authentic British food...", I plan to eat there but it took more than a year for my plan to become reality because I seldom venture into that area.

There are 5 types of fish for customers to choose from: catch of the day, atlantic cod, butterfish, snapper, and dory. Then pick a batter: plain (original), lemon & herb, onion & garlic, coconut curry, or chilli lemon. Next is the side: minted mushy peas, chunky coleslaw, or baked beans (select one). By default, homemade chunky chips and tartar sauce are served with the fish. There are pies and sausages on the menu too but we did not order those as we are there for the fish and fish only.

Atlantic Cod (Plain batter) with minted mushy peas - MYR32.90+ 10% service charge (MYR36.20 nett). The homemade chunky chips are thick and tasty. I could not finish the chips and had to take the leftovers home to enjoy later. Fortunately for me, the mushy peas is not a lot so I could finish it - it was very flavourful with a minty taste.

Catch of the Day is Haddock (Plain batter) with minted mushy peas - MYR34.90+ 10% service charge (MYR38.40 nett).
Brewed coffee (iced) - MYR7.90+ 10% service charge (MYR8.70 nett). A tiny jug of syrup is served separately.

The Atlantic Cod is fresh and thick. Just look at the nice white flaky meat. The batter is light, thin and crispy. Not oily at all.

The piece of Haddock is larger but thinner and served with skin. It is just as fresh as the cod with nice white flaky meat covered by a crispy thin light batter.

Cornwell's Malt Vinegar (brewed from malt - barley and wheat), salt, chilli sauce and tomato ketchup are available on each table.

The desserts are tempting but I was full so I did not order any to try. When I was in UK, I did not try deep fried mars bars so I am not going to try now as they will definitely be too sweet for me although I do have a sweet tooth.

Family Feast Platter

What Cor Blimey means.

Total Bill: MYR83.30 nett after 10% service charge for 2 pax.

Please click on the photo above to read the 10 facts about Fish and Chips.

The entrance with the cashier counter on one side and a big menu board behind the cashier counter.

Decorations on the wall.

Doorway to the kitchen

Cor Blimey - 23, SS15/4, Subang Jaya - Near Taylor's College Subang Jaya

Close on Monday. Cash Terms Only. I must say from the fish and chips I have tasted in KL so far, this is the best fish and chips. Will be back but don't know when.

**************************************************
Updated later (24102018 Wed from draft)

We visited this eatery again on 7 May 2017 (Sunday).

I ordered Dory fish at MYR 20.79 nett to see whether this eatery can make Dory fish taste good.

From the photo, the flesh looks quite nice but in reality it looks pinkish almost translucent and the texture is slippery like it is not well cooked. It tastes very salty and unpleasant like it was deep fried from being in a frozen state.

So the conclusion is, no one can make frozen dory taste good. No more dory fish from now on.

We also ordered Atlantic Cod at MYR 36.19 nett and Catch of the Day (Haddock) for MYR 38.39 nett. They taste good so should stick with these two choices in the future.

This should be Atlantic Cod at MYR 36.19 nett.

This should be Haddock at MYR 38.39 nett.

18 comments:

  1. Oh British Food, sounds interesting

    For the sides, I would want to try the minted mushy peas too cos I have not tried that before

    As for the batter, I would want to try each and every one of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can go for the family platter if want to taste all the types of batter.

      Delete
  2. Love the name, typically British. Brings to mind that "Mind your language" series. The platter sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. Mun, the fish indeed looks very fresh and flaky.. Nice.. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this as I myself have been looking for good fish & chips too. I ate at the famous shop in London and drank their coldest beer after that. It was Winter and I loved this memories. So I must bring my wife to SS15 as I have not been able to show her how a good fish is fried the English way. Your photos convinced me.

    She banned me from buying Heinz now after the bad reports from US. My bus ride home from college would pass the famous Heinz factory by the river, so I became a loyal consumer naturally. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do write about it after you have tried.

      Delete
  5. I love fish and chips but not easy to find nice fish and chips here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like fish and chips! but till now the usual ones that I had are Manhattan Fish Market and Fish & Co. I haven't try anything so 'british' before...Would like to try it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. once you have tried this, you won't want to eat the usual ones if you could help it.

      Delete
  7. I love fish and chips. There used to be a shop claiming to sell authentic British fish and chips at my area but it closed down before I had a chance to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope this one here will be everlasting. you plan to try this?

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, must be authentic judging from the minted (which I always found weird actually hehe), and also mushy, peas.

    I was in the UK 3 years but only bought fish n chips ONE time from the chippy... trying to save money as a student!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can understand as i was very careful with spending too when i was a student. did you like the taste of the fish and chips you ate in uk at that time?

      Delete
    2. Remember it as being so-so only.

      Delete
    3. hahaha so it was not a memorable experience then.

      Delete