Thursday, August 25, 2016

Soup Restaurant at Jaya

Soup Restaurant at Jaya. We have been to the one at One Utama in 2014. We were attracted to the lunch deal as advertised by the banner so we decided to eat lunch there.

The first item to be served. Braised peanuts at MYR3.20 + 10% service charge making it MYR3.52 nett. As we did not order this, we could asked for it to be taken back to the kitchen but we did not as we were hungry and wanted some titbits to eat while waiting for our food.

A glass of hot chinese tea, a small bowl of vegetables and a bowl of corn pork soup that came with the lunch deal.

Beggar Bowl Rice with minced pork lunch set - MYR17.80+ (MYR19.60 nett). The minced pork patty was not flavourful enough according to my eating companion.

I ordered this Beggar Bowl Rice with Chicken and Mushrooms (ala carte) at MYR10.50+ (MYR11.55 nett). The small bowl of vegetables came with the minced pork set and is in this photo for size comparison. The saucer of dark sweet caramel soy sauce is for the mushroom chicken rice. I did not request for it to be served separately so I was pleased that they did it this way and did not drench my rice with the sweet sauce.

Although the beggar bowl is shallow but there is still too much rice for me so I have to give some of my rice to my friend. The boneless chicken pieces taste slightly salty.

The chinese word for soup.

Nice paintings adorned the wall.

If you did not use the packets of towels provided, you could tell the cashier and have the cost of the towels (MYR1.05+ which is MYR1.15 nett each) removed from your bill. Our total bill for two came up to MYR36.95 nett.

34 comments:

  1. I always walked past the soup restaurant in One Utama but never entered as I always see people queuing outside. You know me, I dislike queuing for food so always resorted to eat somewhere else.

    I like braised peanuts and actually look forward to it at any chinese restaurants :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you eat there must order their famous san sui chicken.

      Delete
  2. soul restaurant! didn't knew about this, but definitely good place for some nice soup ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This place is better known for their san sui chicken.

      Delete
  3. Jaya. Used to be my hangout place when I was at Lembah Pantai, 1986. Met Shela Majid there! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old Jaya has been knocked down completely and replaced by this new Jaya in its place.

      Delete
  4. The food does not look very exciting to me hah..hah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I know cos no sambal and also no exotic sauces or marinate or spices that you like.

      Delete
  5. very homely Chinese meal! I like minced pork to go with rice...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never a big fan of such place. Over here, mostly overcharge and do not taste good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here the food tastes good especially their signature san sui chicken.

      Delete
  7. I think the food a bit plain for me. I like the pretty paintings on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like braised peanuts, very "hoi wai"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would prefer the rice with chicken and mushrooms, I think if eat the rice alone might not be filling for me but it comes with soup, so still alright

      Delete
    2. It appeared expansive but at least the food is not greasy.

      What is San Sui Chicken?

      Delete
    3. I had tried this type of rice bowl in SG before, the problem with the kind of rice is usually the rice is quite try with not enough sauce but good that they provide you with dark sweet soy sauce

      Delete
    4. This restaurant is from Sg so Libby have you eaten there?

      Delete
    5. Corina, you can look at the photo of the sam sui chicken if you click on the one utama link above.

      Delete
    6. Thanks Mun. Sam Sui Chicken is very easy to make at home. It appears from your description ie smooth, velvet skin that the cooking method is the same as Hainanese chicken rice.

      Delete
    7. I have not eaten at Soup Restaurant before, maybe one of these days if I pass by I may try it.

      Delete
    8. Corina, you know how to cook Hainanese chicken? Good then, can eat tasty smooth chicken anytime you feel like it.

      Delete
    9. Libby, you can make a special trip there to eat if you have an occasion to celebrate. I have eaten at the Soup restaurant in Suntec City a long time ago. I wonder if there are still there.

      Delete
    10. Mun, yes I can cook Hainanese chicken rice. A Hainese girl kindly gave me the recipe when she was in London. Not everyone would give you their recipe.


      Delete
    11. Corina, wow! You must be a good cook. The girl is so generous to share her recipe.

      Delete
  9. By the way, had hopped over to your one utama link above and I like the Sam Sui Chicken

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm not worth it then hor? The meat patty thing should be quite simple to DIY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think MYR19ish for that set lunch is acceptable since soup and vege with tea are included.

      Delete
  11. This is a Singaporean restaurant, if they stay true to their origin, I can imagine some Malaysians would not like the food here. Their flavors really not that flamboyant. But if you looking for food in Singapore, the food here would be more bearable than all those other expensive looking, Crystal what Jade what named restaurants.

    My favorite restaurant in Changi airport. Although I only dine here on business trip, on company's dime. I like their soup and steamed fish (san yu?) :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. If I eat on company's dime I will order steamed fish too.

      Delete
  12. I will try this place very soon. I do enjoy these plain food sometimes as they can be very delicious with sauces added in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try the one at One Utama, nearer to you.

      Delete