Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Original Molten Yolk Croissant

Le Bread Days is the first bakery in KL to come up with the molten egg yolk custard croissant if I am not mistaken so I call them the original one. It has been nearly 10 months since they appear on the scene so when I was in the area I dropped by at 4 pm to see whether I can get one. No queue and there were about 8 croissants on the tray so I bought one at MYR7.30 nett as takeaway. After that, the man who came in after me, bought all the rest so fortunately I came in before him or else there would be none left for me.

This is how it looks like in a plastic bag.

Looks crispy

The outer layers are crispy and the inner layers a bit chewy.

I was not careful enough and all the molten egg yolk custard flowed out. Very rich and I can tell that it is made with a lot of salted egg yolk as the salted egg yolk taste is very strong in the custard.

Unlike the one I ate in Penang which is quite hollow with very few layers in the croissant, this croissant is thick with many layers. 

Another look at how much fillings there are. The fillings kept flowing out. I ate half of this and shared half with my sibling and in the end, both of us felt very full and satiated (jelak). This croissant is way too rich for us so for those looking for the real stuff, this is it. I will check out the other one from Bake Plan Bakery at SS2 when I get a chance to compare against this one.

MYR7.30 nett after 6% GST on MYR6.90


16 comments:

  1. I have not tried this at all. Was waiting for the hype to die down but totally forgotten about it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder is there a queue often now? If not, if you happen to be in the area, you could try to buy some to try like I did. Just try your luck.

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh!!! That's the one with all that controversy surrounding it. Yes, the layers inside the croissant do look thick but oooo...the lava!!! I would love that and no, I would not get jelak with just one and at that price, I think that is all I will have, one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think need to have this with black coffee in order not to feel jelak.

      Delete
  3. The other day I passed by that shop where you had it in Penang. I struggled for 10 seconds and decided against it because I just had lunch and RM 6.50 seems too expensive for a snack. :/

    So this original one is even heavier huh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made the right decision. Don't eat this after having lunch.

      Delete
  4. I've had the one from Boite a Bijoux and it was pretty good though the lava was not that liquid. I had two and felt jelak after that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You can eat two and then only felt jelak. Did you eat them with black coffee?

      Delete
  5. Had this some time ago but I still prefer Bake Plan. Well..just personal taste, right. Now I am craving back to have this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must try Bake Plan then before they stop making them.

      Delete
  6. I'm still jelak thinking about the two I had from Kings. And that was so long ago already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, we have many of these lava salted egg yolk croissants here in singapore too! from the more luxurious bakery cafes like antoniette to the more commoners bakery like bread talk, i love them all! but really quite expensive, eh. the bread talk ones are tiny (bite size) and they cost sgd $1 each. this Le Bread Days one looks huge though. And there's so much filling inside, it's definitely worth the money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment here. We have mini ones from Bread Talk here too but I have not tried them. I like them as much as you do. :)

      Delete