Friday, October 28, 2016

Nian Gao

"Nian Gao" - 年糕 (chinese new year sticky cake) is made from glutinous rice flour and brown sugar. It is usually eaten during chinese new year but deep fried nian gao can be found sold in hawker stalls all year round. The "I love you" kiosk in the Midvalley mall sells deep fried nian gao now so we bought one to try at MYR2.40 nett.

Cross section. Thin slices of nian gao, yam and sweet potatoes so I prefer the thick SS2 deep fried nian gao at only MYR2.20 nett.

MYR2.40 nett for such a thin piece of deep fried nian gao so it is not worth it.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love all types of goreng pisang and fried nian gao, especially the banana type or the green bean type, yum, but long time never see any stall selling it but Bedok Central Food Centre I think got a stall selling

      Delete
    2. Here I know of 6 places that I can buy this deep fried nian gao.

      Delete
    3. So you have a sweet tooth too. :)

      Delete
  2. This piece looks small indeed. I usually buy them from Happy Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh?? I never realize I Love Yoo sells nian gao... better go check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah you're back! This is a new item. Not sure the branches in penang sell it or not. Do check it out and let us know, ok?

      Delete
  4. Not a fan of that, sweet and sticky. Never had it in pastry, may be nicer this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat nian gao in its original form too. Only when it is deep fried like this and sandwiched between yam and sweet potato.

      Delete
  5. I have tried the SS2 one sold by the auntie who operates from a van under the tree. I thought her nian gao is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her ones are the same as the one in One Utama. I agree that they are fabulous!

      Delete
  6. I'd still buy rather than make. Unless a lot of people are eating.

    ReplyDelete