Thursday, August 24, 2023

Just Eat Do Not Taste

On Thursday 24.aug.2023, we went to Kokan coffee shop at happy garden again as I wanted to try the grouper mihun but that stall was having a rest day today. Bought lunch for the Elderlies from this coffee shop too.

10.34 am - his prawn Mihun yellow noodles with additional big intestines MYR 13 nett. Very flavour soup. The big intestines gave the soup more umami.

The prawn Mee is from this stall.

I wanted to order grouper fish mihun from this stall but it was having a rest day.

Kokan coffee shop shop front. Recap from the day before.

No grouper fish mihun for me so I look for an alternative and saw this clam mihun stall. The seller said that they have non fried fish slices mihun too so I asked him what type of fish. He replied a type of grouper so I asked, what type of grouper, he replied "you know that there are many types of grouper, this is just one type".

10.42 am - my non fried fish fillet mihun soup MYR 14 netyr. The soup smells of wine and there are a few chunks of tomato so it seems that it is good.

10.55 am - he ate some and then I ate the remaining. The tomato, mihun, soup is tasty. The fish has a slight earth taste so it is not a sea fish but a river or pond fish.

The texture of the fish is similar to those frozen dory fish fillet, the fish meat texture is very slippery, soft and all in one lump, no individual flaky strands at all. I will never order this fish fillet ever again but I will order the clam and prawn mihun from the same stall to try them. In order not to waste food, I ate all the fish fillets without tasting them. I also ate all the mihun, tomatoes and salted vege so that no food is wasted.

10.40 am - I ordered two basic crispy popiah non spicy MYR 3.50 for one roll.

10.43 am - it has crispy strands of I-don't- know-what, most likely is egg and jicama. The jicama is still warm. Quite tasty so I will order this popiah again.

10.36 am - his hot cham MYR 2.60 nett. My iced Cham MYR 3.50 nett. The coffee tastes like traditional coffee shop coffee which I drank when I was a child so I like it.

10.49 am - he let me tastes this remaining portion of his prawn Mee. The big intestines got a strong taste that I jokingly described as you-know-what taste but I can still tolerate that taste so I ate them. I prefer the broth to be a little less salty. Other items taste good.

There are more stalls such as this ckt stall, this yellow wine chicken noodles stall, nasi lemak stall, wanton noodles stall and etc so we will try out all of them.

He bought roast meat MYR 15 nett and prawn noodles soup for the Elderlies.

11.15 am - when we walked to the car, we noticed this new eatery.

ABC Temerloh eatery. We will check it out one day. Then we went to the Elderlies' place. I then took a walk home to burn off some of the food that I ate.

5.03 am - he fried two eggs. This one is for my dinner which is the only food I ate after my morning brunch.

10 comments:

  1. I wonder what fish you were served as from your description it does not sound like any variety of grouper. I like that type of popiah, non-fried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also don't believe that the fish is a type of grouper.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Maybe those pond or farm rear groupers?? Could have that unpleasant smell I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ok with the earth taste. It is the texture of the fish meat that is not pleasant at all.

      Delete
  3. yikes, i dislike unpleasant earthly taste too. Probably i would jst leave it untouched. I couldn't stand pig intestine with smell also. I doubt if those parts/organs are cleaned thoroughly especially in those hawker stalls, thus i would avoid eating them. Same goes for the organs in Bak Kut Teh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The earth taste I can accept but the slippery slimy soft a bit QQ texture of the fish meat I find very unpleasant. Organs in bkt are yummy as the stomach and small.intestines are cleaned properly and cooked in pepper to get rid of the smell in good bkt eateries. Big intestines taste are 100 times stronger than small intestines and fallopian tubes.

      Delete
  4. Fish could have been the frozen type. Slippery texture reminds me of ikan keli though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you described the food at Kokan coffee shop had me craving for some grouper mihun too, even though it was having a rest day. 😅 It’s always disappointing when the dish you’re looking forward to isn’t available, but it seems like you made the best of it by trying the non-fried fish fillet mihun soup instead. 🐟🍜

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand your hesitation about the fish not being a real grouper. Sometimes, we’re served with unexpected surprises, right? 😄 But hey, at least you gave it a try and described it so well that I could almost taste it myself. The texture of the fish may not have been your favorite, but kudos to you for not wasting any food and finishing it all up! 🙌

    Oh, and those crispy popiah rolls you mentioned? They sound absolutely delicious! I love anything crispy and filled with jicama. And the fact that they’re non-spicy makes them even more appealing to me. 😋

    ReplyDelete