Thursday, March 28, 2019

WG Kuey Chap Boat Noodle

My friend has not eaten Boat Noodles before so we went there for lunch. All 4 bowls of noodles are my orders of beef rice noodles in various types of broth and sauces at MYR 1.90++ (10% service charge, 6% SST = MYR 2.20 nett) each. The deep fried chicken wings (5 pieces at MYR 10.80 nett) that are very juicy and flavourful are for sharing between the 3 of us.

I found the rice noodles to be flat narrow strips of translucent springy rice noodles similar to very narrow kway teow/hor fun with texture almost like tong hoon (glass noodles). The mini portion means that there are only about 2 tablespoons of noodles in each bowl. A big eater would require at least 10 bowls. This is a place to try out the various types of broth and sauces, not so much for the toppings because there are not much beef in each bowl.

My friends ordered springy noodles that turned out to be almost like instant noodles. As I like instant noodles, I had another bowl of this instant noodles.

In 2015, there were only two types of broth - Ayutthaya (intense flavours with many herbs and spices) and Pathumthani (sourish). In March 2018, they added two types - Prosperity Yums and Dry Noodles. This time, there are 6 types: Ayutthaya, Suki Nam (Sweet and sour taste), Dry Sweet Sauce (I did not order this), Dry Tom Yum (the sauce does not taste like tom yum but is spicy and with strong herb taste), Sweet Kuey Chap (my friend ordered this and there was a small wedge of hard boiled egg as the toppings), Pathumthani (sourish). If you have never eaten at this eatery, I recommend that you order 1 of each type if you go try it out next time.

Side dishes and desserts.

Drinks menu. None of us ordered drinks as the price is quite high.

Boat Noodle at the Gardens Mall. It occupies a corner lot opposite Nyonya Color.

The bill for 3 pax: MYR 46 nett.

20 comments:

  1. The noodles are good for small eaters like you. Ya the prices for the drinks are quite expensive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, good for small eaters. Prices at eateries in malls are usually higher than road side stalls.

      Delete
  2. You make me wanna have boat noodles right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have it when you are at Midvalley next time.

      Delete
  3. I would want to try the Ayutthaya, Suki Nam (Sweet and sour taste) and Pathumthani (sourish) broths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried once in a boat noodle eatery but I really don't really like it... it is like eating and eating without feeling full.. hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it good to have 6 different taste without feeling full so that can go and eat desserts after that.

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried either. They have it at Gardens now? Gotta go and sample the next time I hop over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can consider it to be located in Midvalley Mall too. Yes, can try when you are in KL.

      Delete
  6. I have yet to try boat noodles. One bowl sure not enough for me! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One bowl is not enough for me too as there are only maximum two spoonfuls of food.

      Delete
  7. I haven't try any boat noodles. I prefer having a proper bowl of noodles with adequeate 'liew' and right portion of noodles. Having multiple small portions make it hard for me to justify the amount that I will need to take, and would end up overeating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try all 6 different taste - not considered overeating with just 6 bowls. Since you are a bit eater, you can try both 6 tastes of both beef and chicken so that is 12 bowls and with a portion of chicken wings to ensure you are full. Still not considered overeating.

      Delete
  8. I haven't try the boat noodle over here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The very first time I had 'boat noodles' (was near my office then at Putrajaya), EVERYTHING on the menu was rm1.90. That was including drinks, snacks as well as noodles. But boat noodle places I see now only have limited items at the low price. I was at this outlet during CNY since everywhere else I fancied was packed. Decent meal but probably won't go back given the choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to the boat noodle outlet in d'pulza shopping complex. Was it the one you went to that was near putrajaya? Their main items which are the boat noodles are still 1.90++ each.

      Delete
    2. Should be that one. It was a few years ago and I was only at that client for a week.

      Delete