Wednesday, March 27, 2019

WG BW Bak Kut Teh Noodles House

This Mustard Greens Stew dish (MYR 9.90 nett for a small portion) is known by the name "Suen Lat Choy" (Cantonese for Sour Hot Vege - literal translation) or  Chai Boey (Hokkien for Vege End/Leftovers - literal translation). In this pot, there are chicken feet, kiam chai (pickled mustard greens), gai choy (mustard greens), dried chilies, and slices of dried tamarind (assam). Very appetising so my two friends who shared this dish, ate a full bowl of rice each. I did not taste it because my friend told me that it is spicy.

Bak Kut Teh set lunch (MYR 14.90 nett) which includes a bowl of rice, a bowl of "yau char kwai /cakoi / youtiao" (crullers) and a glass of Lo Hon Gor (Siraitia grosvenorii) drink. This lunch set is good value for money. Two of my friends shared this set lunch by ordering another bowl of rice from the ala carte menu (RM 1 nett).

Since I wanted a small portion of food, I ordered the chicken curry noodles (MYR 8.50 nett) from the ala carte menu and requested for the Hakka noodles to be changed to mee hoon. The mee hoon is very soft so I like the texture when it is thoroughly mixed with the curry gravy which is not spicy at all, just very creamy (coconut milk). The mee hoon will also turn softer when it has soaked up all the curry gravy - so tasty! There are 3 pieces of chicken thigh meat on the bones. I much prefer boneless chicken breast meat but I will settle for chicken thigh meat since those were the parts served.

Dry curry chicken noodles is my backup dish. I will order this dish if I feel that the price is reasonable and there are no other dishes that I feel like eating from the menu.

Total price is MYR 44.20 nett. Another friend ordered the Hakka Fried Meat (Zhar Yuk) with Hakka Noodle Set which includes a glass of Lo Hon Gor drink at MYR 9.90 nett. The noodle portion is quite big.

BW Bak Kut Teh Noodles House at Paramount Garden, PJ. This shop used to be Wai Noodles House that I visited back in August 2017. Wai Noodles House has now moved to Seapark, PJ. Please visit their FB for their location.

Lunch set menu. Needs to compare the price with the ala carte menu to see if the lunch set is worth it or not. For example:
1. ala carte curry chicken noodle is MYR 8.50 nett and
the curry chicken noodle set with an additional drink is MYR 9.90 nett which means the drink costs MYR 1.40 nett.
2. whereas Claypot Bak Kut Teh ala carte without rice is MYR 13.90 nett and after adding a bowl of rice at MYR 1 nett, the total price is MYR 14.90 nett (same price as the lunch set)
so it means that the drink and bowl of youtiao of the bak kut teh set is free so this bak kut teh lunch set is of better value.

I am interested in the vinegar marinated pork leg to be shared with my friends.

Will try the wine kampung chicken mee hoon next time.

If my friends are willing to share the claypot homemade wine kampung chicken with me, I will order it next time. Let us see when I will visit this eatery again.

12 comments:

  1. If we ever dine together, you and I can share that vinegar marinated pork leg for sure. On second thoughts, I dont think I am willing to share. I always eat that alone coz I love it that much. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let you eat all then, no sharing business. :)

      Delete
  2. I wonder if the Hakka noodles is like what I had in Seremban, like Kuching kolo mee - many Hakkas in Kuching. Different from our Foochow kampua mee, both a lot different from the wanton mee over at your side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am already salivating over the suen lat choy! I will surely order that for sure! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chai boey soup! I can keep eating and drinking the soup, very appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very appetising. Can eat many bowls of rice with it.

      Delete
  5. I can eat a lot of rice with the chai boey soup but would prefer it to be less spicy

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the food looks delicious, I'm drooling at the sour ones.

    ReplyDelete