Sunday, February 14, 2016

YOLO LOL!

February 14, 2016 (Sunday) is both Valentine's Day and CNY Day 7 which is people's birthday (Yan Yat - cantonese for human day) so Happy Valentine's Day and Happy Yan Yat to everyone who is celebrating these two days!

Yesterday my spouse and I went to Digital Mall, PJ to get some electronic items and it so happened that I have just read Phong Hong's post about the delicious lamb shank dish at Serai restaurant which is located in Jaya Mall nearby so it was the perfect chance to eat lunch at Serai. Now that we are older, we don't celebrate Valentine's Day but for this year, my spouse suggested that we celebrate Valentine's Day one day earlier with this meal.

Middle Eastern Medley - MYR45 (MYR52.45 after 10% service charge and 6% GST). It was as tasty as described by Phong Hong, I just love the taste of lamb. The lamb shank itself was huge so I had to bring half of the meat home as takaway to eat during dinner.

My spouse ordered Nasi Ambang - MYR20 (MYR23.35 nett). This dish looks like someone eating from a buffet spread with plain white rice, stirfry mix vegetables, stirfried meehoon, stirfried noodle, two fried salted fish, sambal, beef rendang, kerisik (toasted grated coconut) and tempeh (fermented soybean cake). Overall the taste is rich and the salty and sweet taste is there. I feel it needed something sour but I know the traditional nasi ambang does not come with any sourish food in it.

We ordered one drink only - Teh Tarik (literal translation - pulled tea) - MYR5.50 (MYR6.40 nett) which taste like what we expect from a usual cup of Teh Tarik. The rest of the drinks are too expensive for us as we are here just for the main dishes.

Serai at Jaya - there are many branches at other malls.

Total bill: MYR82.20 nett - It has been a while since we spent this much for a meal for just the two of us. We are planning to tighten our belts this year so this time we use Valentine's day as an excuse to splurge. :)

24 comments:

  1. Hahaha then this time can wish you Happy Valentine's Day hahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you had a good Yan Yat too!

      Delete
  2. I want to go Malaysia (JB) again, I like to cross the border, can get restaurant food with nice atmosphere with a low price, I must go JB again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, go JB can get restaurant food with nice atmosphere with a low price so go, go, go! :)

      Delete
  3. Now THIS is one place I must go to if I hop over. The lamb shank looks like to die for...and I would want to try the nasi ambang too.

    I know Jaya supermart there - used to go hang around 1986 when I was at Lembah Pantai - met Sheila Majid there, she's so small...and they had MPH there, if I remember correctly. I think it was burnt or something so they've rebuilt and revamped the place, much nicer now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was not burnt down. The developers tore the whole building down just to rebuild it into a more open layout.

      Delete
  4. I wont mind going there for the lamb shank but I don't think I'll order the nasi ambang. It is kind of pricey for that and I'm not a fan of rice anyway so yeah, must bookmark the lamb shank!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy CNY to you & family.. Am back to work, feeling like a newbie.. Huhuhu..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Princess Ribbon! Welcome back! Happy CNY to you and your family too. We all miss you so much!

      Delete
  6. Gong Xi Fatt Chai! Wishing you and your family a great year

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your spouse's nasi ambang is like you described...it really looked like a plate you'd get at a buffet with rice, noodles, veggies and meat all on one plate (I've not seen something like this before all in one ordered dish)! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read up on nasi ambang. Seems like there is one famous one in Johor, only MYR5.50 per packet with lots of ingredients in it.

      Delete
  8. Hello Mun, I definitely will go for the mouth watering delicious lamb shank. Happy Valentine's Day & Happy CNY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Same to you too! If you like the taste of lamb, you will like this.

      Delete
  9. I am so glad that you had the lamb shank! It's worth the price because lamb shank is expensive and not so easy to cook. I want to go there again for the lamb shank :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. the Middle Eastern Medley looks absolutely mouthwatering, and yes, it looks huge in the photo!!! i don't fancy lamb, that would be great if they have a choice for other kinds of meat.. the Nasi Ambeng, hahaha, very true description from you, really like going for a buffet spread, a little of everything.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they have dishes with other meat cooked in other styles.

      Delete
  11. Indeed the lamb shank is very huge! Good that you can tar pau for dinner.. so it makes the bill not as heavy as it seems to be.. hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to always tapao when the portion is too much for me or share it with another person.

      Delete
  12. I am so surprised that Jaya One has a Serai outlet now. No need to travel till Empire Gallery. I love their menu and desserts!

    Hey, I still celebrate Valentines Day at this age, just for fun and excuses to dine out.

    ReplyDelete