Tuesday, February 23, 2016

KFC's two bowls

I read about KFC's Sambal Rice Bowl & Loaded Potato Bowl on "Eat what, Eat where?" and wanted to try them. On CNY Day 10, I noticed that these two items are still on the KFC's Value Treats menu at MYR5.50 nett (for one) and so went in and bought one each as takeaways.

Top View. Left: Loaded Potato Bowl. Right: Sambal Rice Bowl. Bottom: Empty Cup for Size Comparison.

A standard sized cup as compared to a KFC bowl.

I gave the Sambal Rice Bowl to my spouse. He finished the whole bowl leaving only a tablespoonful of sambal for me. I find the sambal more sweet than spicy.

I had the Loaded Potato Bowl instead with chunks of deboned crispy chicken, sweet corns, cheese sauce on top of mashed potatoes. I could not decide whether the white sauce is sour cream or mayonnaise because its taste was overpowered by the cheese sauce. The usual brown gravy you find in KFC's mashed potatoes is not present in this bowl. After googling, I find that there are a few versions of this Loaded Potato Bowl in KFC outlets around the world, some even with bacon bits inside.

As I like to eat cheese and mashed potatoes, I find the taste of this Loaded Potato Bowl acceptable but after having half a bowl, I was satiated (jelak). I have foreseen this so I did not eat directly from the bowl but scooped out half into another bowl to eat so that I can keep the original half as shown in the photo above into the fridge.

The next day (after a full 24 hours), I ate the rest cold. It was a bit watery and tasted saltier than the previous day but I am fine after consuming it. In a nutshell, if you are ok with mildly spicy food, then the Sambal Rice Bowl is a better choice for you. Only attempt to eat this Loaded Potato Bowl if you love KFC's mashed potatoes and you love cheese too.

Total price for these two bowls - MYR11 nett

32 comments:

  1. Long time have not been to KFC, so am not aware of these new items. I love mashed potatoes and cheese but I would prefer to eat small portion only. Like you have said, if eat too much I will feel satiated or jelak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to go if you don't feel the urge to do so.

      Delete
  2. Do not have these two items in SG KFC, or maybe have but I don't know cos I have not visited KFC for quite some time, if me, I will also feel jelak if eat too much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, McD and KFC always close by so always get to see what both of them are selling.

      Delete
  3. I dont think I'll like the Loaded Potato bowl. I'll definitely go for the sambal bowl. I'm not a fan of potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess sambal bowl is more your cup of tea then.

      Delete
  4. The loaded potato bowl looks so so good, I think I will go for the potato bowl, coz I love potatoes and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will be very satisfied with the loaded potato bowl. Go for it then!

      Delete
  5. The loaded potato bowl looks good.

    Long time I did not dine in KFC. No one in my family likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I long time no support KFC, I only take my kids to McD if they want to eat fast food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you are not against fast food but just don't like this brand.

      Delete
  7. Hmm... have I tried the sambal rice bowl? I think maybe I have. Or was it curry? Anyway I don't think I will like the potato bowl, I'm still "allergic" to KFC mashed potato and KFC cheese...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one you tried is the curry rice bucket. I think they realise bowl is a better word than bucket. I think you will like those KFC loaded potato bowl overseas with bacon bits in it. Is there KFC in Barcelona?

      Delete
    2. I'll let you know next week.

      Oops, I mean when I get to Barcelona... :/

      Delete
    3. Yes, please let us know. Thanks! So exciting the day is near. :)

      Delete
  8. Sambal for me too. :) It's the mayo I object to. Some more partner with cheese sauce and potato... sounds very jelak all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure whether it is mayo or not but then it is very, very little as compared to the cheese sauce.

      Delete
  9. Did you put a cover on top before you put it in the fridge? I guess it does make some difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I did. Everything is covered inside my fridge. I don't leave food exposed.

      Delete
  10. Oh? They have these now? I wonder if we can get them at their outlets here, have not been for years and years. Maybe I should go and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if they have the same promotional items over the sea or not.

      Delete
  11. I would try the sambal but not the cheesy one. I had their cheesy wedges once and I didn't like the cheese sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dare not try this Loaded Potato Bowl as I'm not into a bowl overloaded with sauce both the cheese and white sauce (which I assume it's mayo). I read a comment that KFC didn't serve these "cheaper treats" during CNY, so I'm surprised you found it coz my outlet here didn't have it. Now that I know it's still around, I'll probably go get the Sambal Rice Bowl again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe your outlet sold out during that time. Maybe they have replenished it by now. Since you don't like cheese, the Loaded Potato Bowl is definitely not for you.

      Delete
  13. ooh, i didn't realise they have these two items in their menu.. i always just order the 1-pcs chicken with rice or with a small burger set only, i never think of ordering others, hahaha!!

    BTW, did you realise they were not offering the Lunch and Dinner Treats during the CNY period??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are loyal to your food! :) During CNY day 10, I went there after 3 pm so the lunch treats time was over.

      Delete
  14. We rarely go KFC, nice to know, new choices available now. I would probably try the Sambal rice bowl when I visit in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You miss nothing if KFC is not your cup of tea. No need to go specially to try this.

      Delete
  15. I think I will go for Sambal bowl as well, mashed potato and cheese eat too much will feel very jelak

    ReplyDelete